Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Packed fortress + shrines challenge.  (Read 1626 times)

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Packed fortress + shrines challenge.
« on: February 13, 2013, 10:39:05 am »

Hey, I would like to propose a community fortress challenge.

Rules:
 - every overseer take a turn of one year
 - every overseer can dig (or build) one floor of community fortress. Size of the dug/build level will be at max 13x13 with 3x3 stairway in the center. (below or over, but not necessary 1 floor under
 - veins and mines are an exception, but digged place cannot be used)
 - at the start of every year, dwarfs limit in init file is increased by 10 (starting from 10). I know it is not working well yet, so if there are more dwarves then intended. the surplus must have all the jobs disabled.
 - additional challenge is that every overseer must build a shrine of his choice on the surface of the map. Or at least try.

Code: [Select]

###############
#             #
#             #
#             #
#             #
#             #
#     XXX     #
#     XXX     #
#     XXX     #
#             #
#             #
#             #
#             #
#             #
###############

I will try picking a nice and fun start, preferably in hunted environment with a cloud of some fun sort (I do not like insta-kill rains nor resurrecting biomes so finding good embark will take quite a time)

I would like to try a new and funny mod, but never tried any other than fortress defence, so if someone have a proposition please post them.

Anyone in?

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Packed fortress + shrines challenge.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 02:55:00 pm »

Interesting idea. maybe.

So a 13x13 square of core activity and one layer added every year, huh? gonna be lots of grumbling dwarfs (dwarves? dwarros?) for the first three years....

Is quantum stockpiling allowed or not?
Better yet, is trade-outpost based q-stockpiling allowed?(this particular method seems just a tad more legit to me than the garbage dump method).
...can't think of much else that needs asked. Sign me up, but do include a link to the version you use. 

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 03:24:54 pm »

trade-outpost based q-stockpiling

you mean quantum stockpiles created at trade depots?

Generally I think that Quantum Stockpilling might be used, as well as all other techniques, it might be hard enough even with that.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 03:08:33 am »

Trade-outpost based quantum stockpiling requires traders to want to trade with you; otherwise it's just a conventional quantum stockpile at a specific location. 

It does NOT go well with large conventional stockpiles...that was the root cause of my first fortress's death. So definitely potential !"!fun!"!.  but...it could turn into mere annoying pretty easily.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 06:10:26 am »

How about having The Pile, one and only one quantum stockpile that takes everything?
And I'm in.
Also 13x13 seems to strict limit, how about 169 tiles area of arbitrary shape?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:15:42 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science