Other Projects > Slaves to Armok: God of Blood

Wow. Just wow.

<< < (2/6) > >>

cowofdoom78963:

--- Quote from: Dakk on May 08, 2009, 12:55:36 pm ---it'd also slow down the development of other stuff.

--- End quote ---
As well as everyones computer.

MP2E:
I'd love to see an OpenGL renderer in Dwarf Fortress, however I completely agree with what you are saying. I think the best way to do it would be to have some sort of externalized renderer, or just the option to have ASCII rendering OR OpenGL, so it won't slow the game and the people that like it "the way it should be" don't feel left out :) I personally would probably trade between the two

strich:

--- Quote from: Dakk on May 08, 2009, 12:55:36 pm ---I wound't like to see DF with 3d graphics, not only it woudn't look as good as ASCII (in my opinion) but it'd also slow down the development of other stuff. I do look forward to isometric graphics or something similar, but no 3d graphics for me.

--- End quote ---
Why not 3D isometric?
2D isometric is old and dirty. I'd much rather see some 3D isometric with some basic animation and physics. Without thinking this through I believe it'd be less work over-all. Once the engine is in place its a fairly simple matter to keep the game up to the standards of the day by increasing texture size/shadows/shaders/etc.

Okenido:
Of course such an engine would require years of rewriting the code.

Keiseth:
Physics and animations aside, *ignoring shaders/shadows/etc* and a few assumptions on the way the code is written, making a quick 3D isometric interface-- the programming aspect, not the finding-textures aspect-- wouldn't take very long at all. Certainly not years. If the game is simply grid-based, and one assumes each tile is a perfect square, then it's actually not all that bad.

However, learning all of the nuances of 3D programming, if you don't already know it- that could take a while, definitely. It can be really confusing.

Additionally, it's another thing to maintain as you add to the game. For that reason, it's probably best to do that last, when the gameplay itself is completed, or you hit a cycle of break-fix-break-fix. Every release you'd have to test- does ASCII work? Does 3D work? Is everything working down to the last detail? If it isn't, how can you fix it?

I'd add that using a 3D interface might make supporting the game more difficult, as that ends up using the graphics card a bit, but in DF's case, it already uses OpenGL for 2D (and a few 3D) graphics.

I'd personally add that sort of thing last if I had another working graphical interface (e.g.; ASCII) but it probably varies from developer to developer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version