Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wow. Just wow.  (Read 70592 times)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wow. Just wow.
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 07:46:47 am »

My game went from somewhere around 20-30 FPS max WHEN STARTING A FORT in 40d10 to 100FPS in 40d11. That's quite a difference. By far though, the biggest load seems to be pathing.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 12:57:25 am »

But I don't know whether we could make one, or real-3D one, for that matter, w/o the game source code.

I think Toady has some reservations on people making their own front-ends and what not. I'm just happy we have a graphically accelerated version, now. The difference is extremely dramatic for me.
I'm...pretty sure there are already some 3d df frontends that're done codewise and just need filling in of graphics.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 04:06:08 am »

This game had potential a lot more then some people are making it sound.

However you know how people complain that Dwarf Fortress is unplayable and Toady should focus on the playable aspects of the game instead of long term goals?

Well this game was that x100, it was entirely future based (the 3d likely aggrivated problems).

Though there is a lot more to this story but I cannot remember the full explanation.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 04:56:46 am »

But I don't know whether we could make one, or real-3D one, for that matter, w/o the game source code.

I think Toady has some reservations on people making their own front-ends and what not. I'm just happy we have a graphically accelerated version, now. The difference is extremely dramatic for me.
I'm...pretty sure there are already some 3d df frontends that're done codewise and just need filling in of graphics.
Uuh... Like. Lifevis?
That's just a hack, IIRC.

This game had potential a lot more then some people are making it sound.

However you know how people complain that Dwarf Fortress is unplayable and Toady should focus on the playable aspects of the game instead of long term goals?

Well this game was that x100, it was entirely future based (the 3d likely aggrivated problems).

Though there is a lot more to this story but I cannot remember the full explanation.
Yeah, it is :D
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 03:03:50 pm »

I wound't like to see DF with 3d graphics, not only it woudn't look as good as ASCII (in my opinion) but it'd also slow down the development of other stuff. I do look forward to isometric graphics or something similar, but no 3d graphics for me.

Got to leave something for the mind :P

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 02:53:45 am »

Eventually the code just got so cluttered and unreadable Toady just couldn't add any more to this.

I'm so glad he learned from his (only) mistake with DF.

Tyg13

• Bay Watcher
  • And then I was bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 01:45:00 pm »

Topic necro = bad :(

Aside from that, I don't think DF would be possible in 3D. Some people are struggling as it is trying to get forts with enough FPS to be playable, and adding 3D into the mix would just kill what little FPS they have.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 01:58:51 pm »

As if the game actually puts any real pressure on your GPU right now. The code for 3D is all already there.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 08:21:32 pm »

Is it?

Here, of all places, bumping an old topic has no effect, as long as it is an isolated incident(in my opinion only. Posting everywhere would probably simply be classified as spam...), simply because nobody else is discussing anything, and it is rare to see more than two topics with activity in one day.
Eh?
Eh!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 09:43:12 pm »

it's impossible to post anything in this subforum without dabbling in the dark arts of thread necromancy
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 12:25:10 pm »

Aside from that, I don't think DF would be possible in 3D. Some people are struggling as it is trying to get forts with enough FPS to be playable, and adding 3D into the mix would just kill what little FPS they have.

Necro my ass. First page = fair game, even here.
Pages: 1 [2]