Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Human traders leave before they arrive  (Read 794 times)

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
[40d] Human traders leave before they arrive
« on: May 12, 2009, 01:40:44 pm »

So for the sixth year in a row, my fortress has requested precious metal bars from the human traders, and they've delivered.  However, this year and last year the caravan was generated coming from a part of my map far away from the depot, which requires Herculean pathfinding around the trees dotting that part of the map.

I thought the wagons were just taking a while to load.  Then I realized that there were STILL THREE WAGONS THAT HAD NOT ARRIVED.  These were the ones carrying the gold, silver, platinum, rose gold, and electrum bars.

Long story short, the remaining wagons were making their slogging, metal-bar-loaded way to the depot when the merchants decided to embark on their journey.  I never got to trade, even with my Legendary Appraiser hanging out ready the whole time.  I never got my gold.  I feel...undwarven, without my gold.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Human traders leave before they arrive
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 06:01:59 pm »

This has been aggravating me too. Not quite a bug, but still definitely something that should be addressed.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Human traders leave before they arrive
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 01:30:50 pm »

So for the sixth year in a row, my fortress has requested precious metal bars from the human traders, and they've delivered.  However, this year and last year the caravan was generated coming from a part of my map far away from the depot, which requires Herculean pathfinding around the trees dotting that part of the map.

There's your problem.  They arrived from that side of the map and that's where they'll be generated because that's where they live.  What you want to do is cut down some trees in a nice straight path, and then build a three tile wide road so they won't grow back over your wagon path (that's the only real use of roads in this version, keeping trees from growing back).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!