Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarftraitist - A Dwarf Portrait Creator (version 0.1)  (Read 23996 times)

Kennel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarftraitist - A Dwarf Portrait Creator (version 0.1)
« on: May 08, 2009, 06:02:44 pm »

[size=9]Dwarftraitist[/size]
-=Create portraits of your dwarves!=-

Version 0.1
(Download)
Creates random/custom made dwarves

PLEASE NOTE:
Current version doesn’t communicate with Dwarf Fortress. It uses custom made .txt files as a source.

Dev log in LiveJournal

Let's start with a history lesson:
I've actually half-seriously planned a dwarf portrait program that gives fancy 2d-art pictures of your dwarves (and perhaps even human/elf/goblin merchants/diplomats/soldiers...) with size differences, hair/beard color/length, scars, clothing, weapon etc. Doesn't actually sound that hard but needs awfully lot of drawings (3d would be more flexible but is hard to make good looking). Another problem is to get the data from the game, but there's already programs that do it with map features so why not?

Might be funny to see those blood/vomit covered naked one-legged war veterans.

Well I started it back in December, forgot it for few months and started again couple of months ago. Now I have finally managed to create some fancy pictures and can share my results with you.

What is it?
Dwarftraitist is a java software that reads a txt file and creates a bitmap portrait of a dwarf. After next huge Dwarf Fortress update our dwarves will have lots of variance and Dwarftraitist can be used to visualize those differences.

Current version can handle:
-Most (skin layer) bodyparts and items
-Hair, skin and eye colors
-Item colors (material, profession or custom)
-Hair lengths
-Genders
-Height
-Facial expressions
-Generating random dwarves
-Combining basic group pictures

Stuff that will be implemented soon or “soon”(*):
-Injuries and scars
-Hair/beard styles, different facial features
-More customable items (different helms, shirt with buttons/collar/cuffs, menacing spikes, perhaps even images in shields)
-Profession related items (star for sheriff, fishing pole for fisherdwarf, chef hat for cook etc. just to make dwarves more recognizable)
-Children/young dwarves (well this needs awfully lot of work)
-Other stuff that Toady makes possible to implement
etc, etc, etc...

(*) = just in time for DF 1.0

Main goals for this project:
-Ability to read dwarf information directly from the game (like 3Dwarf and others) instead of custom made txt-file. The biggest problem is that I’m not very experienced programmer so this needs lots of learning and/or help from others. Luckily we have a great community here so I don’t think this might be something that can't be handled.
(Alternatively it could read stuff from a txt file that DF has created (like current region history and map files).

-Create easily customable platform that allows people to replace image files and create their own dwarf/human/elf/giant cave spider pictures without any programming. This is already in a pretty satisfying state. It still needs work but is quite customable without a need to touch the code. If you want to make a winged creature you just need to add few lines to text file and create graphics.

-Group photos: with a single keystroke you should be able to see all your dwarves. (Basics are there, but it needs to be more customable without user touching the code)

Ok, but why there’s a thread, if there’s no published version yet?

Well it seemed that the best way to celebrate Bay12 Meetup Day without travelling 7500 kilometres would be releasing a teaser. ;)

Another reason is to use this thread as a source for ideas. The earlier they are thrown to me, the easier it is to actually do something for them.

I’m not very eager to release current version right now because it’s still quite simple, there’s no UI and lots of stuff will change. I guess you can expect some alpha releases during next month (at least if I finally manage to find out, how you create a standalone programs with Eclipse  ::))

What now?

Ideas, ideas, ideas. You have probably an idea or two, just throw them here. Good ideas, bad ideas, stupid ideas, anything goes.

Skilled artist? I’ve made most of the graphics as quickly as possible and especially clothes as pretty crude. Any ideas how to make stuff look better are approved.

Skilled artist and too much of free time? Perhaps you’d like to create human, elf, goblin or carp graphics pack? Or a "better" dwarf pack? Just inform me and I’ll make a basic information package about creating stuff.

Programmer? The most important here is getting the dwarf information from the game. I’ve no plans for this stuff right now but it has to get out of the way at some point. Contact me, if you’re interested to help.

All example dwarves are randomly generated.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 04:44:41 pm by Kennel »

Kennel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarftraitist - A Dwarf Portrait Creator
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 06:03:21 pm »

I guess I forgot lots of stuff I meant to post but I slept only couple of hours last night because creating dwarves was too fun.

More information and examples coming soon(ish).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 06:11:29 pm by Kennel »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 06:10:32 pm »

Looks awesome! Keep up the good work!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 06:44:35 pm »

:o

AWESOME

i hope it works for mac!

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 06:52:34 pm »

Manual tag. Also gonna feature this shit on my blog.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 06:56:55 pm »

I have a suggestion, make a new option for wear, you know DF things always rot off of dwarf X.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 07:20:39 pm »

Sugestion: facial expressions, nothing fancy just a few preset ones.

Sugestion: dwarf dress up unlockable feature! whit pink background! ;D
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 09:58:03 pm »

Impressive.  No suggestions yet, but keep up the good work.

(shame I rarely play dwarves and can't draw worth a damn)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 10:46:31 pm »

Will women dwarves have beards?

Distant goal for you. Have it able to draw a scene from an engraving, it can randomly generate how the people in the engraving look.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 10:52:48 pm »

I'm impressed.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 11:02:57 pm »

Looks good, but i have to ask: what do you mean by no UI? do you have to re-compile with different settings? I've got a fair bit of experience with text-only UI's in java.

I'd love to help.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 01:31:04 am »

I suggest that if a dwarf happens to be unhappy, miserable, tantrumning, berserk, insane or melachonic, his expression changes accordingly.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 01:51:47 am »

Looks like great project, PLEASE do not give up!

I have also a suggestion - when dwarf has some artifact allow using custom picture for it.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 02:22:50 am »

Why such bright colors in the clothing?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 02:44:26 am »

Very cool.  Some new ground might have to be broken in memory hacking for this to fully work, but it'd be worth it.

Why such bright colors in the clothing?

Because it's not done yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3