Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you read this story semi-regularly/have read it all the way through?  (This just sates my curiosity on how many people read this thing.)

Yes, I read it when it updates!
Yes, I've read/am reading it all the way through!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31

Author Topic: Olonkulet - Bloodlines  (Read 60258 times)

Obsidian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Olonkulet (Community/Fugitives)
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2009, 08:07:08 pm »

Oh my god.

This is epic.

Seriously, amazing storytelling. I love the ascii art, and how you're doing a backstory for each of the starting 7.
Obsidian cancels common sense: Interrupted by insanity
!!carp!!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 01:59:42 pm »

Loksvig had, like Broose, served in the last goblin war but as a military engineer.  He and Frey first met in the engineering corps as part of an attack on goblin tunnel networks.  Frey's team of miners delved tunnels into the goblin supply lines, whilst Loksvig's engineers maneouvred mobile ballistae into the tunnel network as part of concerted attacks on goblin fortresses and outposts.  The pair had served under a dwarf by the name of Stonebreaker, whose cruelty and disregard for the safety of his dwarves became almost as legendary as the fear he inspired in his enemies.  After the war, Frey left the military to pursue a mining career but Loksvig remained, as the army was always in need of good mechanics and engineers.  To his misfortune he became trapped in a power struggle between Stonebreaker and another dwarf and sided against his commander out of disgust at his nature.  Stonebreaker won the struggle and as retribution pinned the murder of his competitor upon Loksvig.  He might have then been executed by hammer, but the Mountainhomes were in as much need of good engineers as the army and so his sentence was adjusted to indefinite imprisonment instead.

When Frey, Urgash, Broose, Emerin, Urist and Danielle finally reached the sealed gate leading to the canals, the Mountainhomes were in chaos.  Scores of prisoners had been released during the riots and the docks were relatively unguarded with the military disposed to putting down the threat.  A pair of dwarves were attempting to rig the mechanisms to open, but with little luck.

"
Stot!" swore one of them.  "This isn't working, Fath, the locks are too complex."

"Fath?  Loksvig?" called Frey.  "What's behind that door?"

"The docks," Danielle cut in, "and our way out.  I can guide us through the canal system."

"Good luck!" shouted Fath.  "We cannae get the doors open, Frey!  I don' have the tools!"

"Hold on," said Loksvig, glancing at the dockyard defences (goblins had in the past attempted ill-considered naval assaults on the Mountainhomes, after all).  "I've got an idea."  Before the others could object, he bolted towards the nearby armoury.

"Hey!" cried Fath.  "I need two pairs of hands here!  Bah, bloody engineers.  Look, can you and the wee lass just hold-"

"Everyone clear away from the dock gate!" boomed a voice from the armoury.  Frey, realising what was coming, physically dived out of the way.  The others, able to take a hint, did the same as the armoury doors blasted apart in a hail of splinters and a ballista arrow tore through the air, narrowly missed shaving Broose's beard and shattered the dockyard gate.  The dwarves picked themselves up, coughing dust as Loksvig ran back out from the armoury.

"Let's get a move on," he said.  "If that doesn't attract the guards, I have no idea what will."

Grabbing their possessions, the dwarves hustled through into the docks beyond, where the troop of guards waiting for them had been knocked unconscious by the blast.  Spying a boat tethered to the docks with a pair of beasts of burden stood idly on deck, the dwarves crossed onto the boat, forcing the animals below-decks and grabbing oars.  With a swing of his axe, Broose cut the mooring rope and the dwarves began their escape.

By the time Frey awoke, the current had already begun to slow.  By some miracle, all seven dwarves had managed to stay in the boat through the waterfalls and all had survived, but the current had carried them far and frost had begun to form on their beards.  Danielle had snuggled up to Broose for warmth and most of the dwarves were huddled around themselves, nibbling on firecaps to try and take the edge off the cold.  Fath peered over the edge of the boat; chunks of ice floated merrily on the water's surface, bobbing against the wood.  The banks of the river stretched onwards across a lengthy desert plain, covered in shifting red sands.  To one side, the sands dropped downward as the crest of a hill.

"Where are we?" he asked.

"I can't be certain," offered Loksvig, "but that range up ahead looks like the Horn of Grips, so that would put us in the Dipped Moist Desert."

"That's nearly a hundred miles away!" exclaimed Fath.

"River travelled pretty fast at the bottom.  You were asleep for this bit, but the river actually changed course for about ten minutes.  There must've been a flash flood downstream.  Didn't last long, but we got flushed off the main course and into a tributary.  Got sent downstream, then missed another fork and started down this way.  Now it's a dead end."

"Dead end?" asked Emerin.  "How can a river be a dead end?"  In response, the boat thudded gently to a halt.  The dwarves peered over the edge and saw where the river's surface had fully frozen over with ice.

"So now what?" she asked.

"We could try and drag it," suggested Urgash.  "The altitude's pretty high here, by the thickness of the air, so if we can get it downhill a bit we might get to a thawed bit."

The dwarves dragged the boat for nearly twenty minutes before Broose dropped his end in exasperation.

"That's it!" he shouted.  "I am not going on with this fool's errand any longer!"  Fath started to complain, but was cut off.  "Look around you!  This is a mountain!  The desert drops off on one edge but it's far too steep to drag the boat without breaking it any further and the ice just keeps going as far as we can see upstream.  We could drag this thing for three days and still not see any running water."

"What do we do then?" demanded Fath.

"Strike the earth," pronounced Frey.  The others looked stunned, so he went on.  "Make some shelters, at any rate.  We don't know what kind of wildlife we'll get out here, and I don't intend to find out at its jaws.  Look, we've got some beasts of burden and a boat.  We can try and grow some supplies from the leftovers from what we brought, build some decent wagons and make a proper effort at an escape.  That's going to take time.  So let's dig in and get it sorted."

"No, not dig in," murmured Danielle.  "Build up."  If the dwarves had been stunned at Frey's suggestion, they were outright shocked at Danielle's.

"Look at the Mountainhomes," she insisted.  "The old town we went through, the way it was abandoned like that when the veins dried up.  The heavy swathes cut through the mountains with no regard for either aesthetic or nature.  Don't look at me like that!" she snapped at Broose.  "I know what you're thinking.  This all sounds Elvish.  Well, the Elves are nutters and we all know it, especially over things that grow back with time.  Mountains don't grow back.  What sort of future are we going to leave for our children?"

"So building up is the solution?" said Emerin.

"Not hollowing out the mountain is the solution," explained Danielle.  "At least no more than is necessary.  I visited a place once, Clockworks, that managed to build a city - a true, dwarven city - without gutting the mountain like a fish.  Maybe we're only here for a season.  Maybe we could get stuck here for more.  Either way, let's try and do it
right.  What do you say?"  There was a rumble from the group of dwarves.  Urgash spoke up.

"I say we get started."

-------

The Crash Site
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 03:52:21 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

[deleted]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2009, 02:17:45 pm »

Awesome. How will turns be working? One year in game time? Who will be starting off first?
The spinning Sea Lamprey dorsal fin strikes The Sea Lamprey in the head!
It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!
The Sea Lamprey is propelled away by the force of the blow!
The Sea Lamprey has been struck down.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5703-frostdrummed

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2009, 03:08:35 pm »

This is a community game, not succession, so no turns. We'll have to sit back and watch as Iituem leads our characters to greatness and glory, and perhaps tell an interesting story along the way.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2009, 05:08:11 pm »

Danielle's Inventory, 1st Granite 351

Took stock of what we have, based on what we were able to grab from the Mountainhomes before the escape.  We've reached an agreement to pool everything for the sake of survival.

Clothes on our backs - Unknown Value in Firecaps (Fc)
(Nobody seems willing to surrender these.)
Steel Battleaxe - 150Fc
Broose's, and he is hanging onto it.
Glowing Wine [47 pints] - 23.5Fc
Fath and Urgash both managed to smuggle some out during the escape.
63oz firecap spawn - 31.5Fc
40 firecaps - 40Fc
So many firecaps!
10oz glowcap spawn - 5Fc
From Frey's lantern, just enough live spawn left in it to seed a few patches.
Dogskin leather [8 yards] - 20Fc
Deer meat [10lbs] - 10Fc
Bronze crossbow - 25Fc
1 steel bolt - 5Fc
Fath's, and a lucky shot he got in on that guard!
Pipemoss Cloth [3 yards] - 10.5Fc
5 turqoises, 5 moonstones, 5 fire agates, 5 bloodstones - 100Fc
1 pipemoss bag - 5Fc
Brown Chow [5 tins] - 2.5Fc
5oz Browncap Spawn - 2.5Fc
There was a small stash of rations in the boat.  I should be able to scrape some spawn out of the leftovers.
2 stones of Tetrahedrite - 9Fc
Go Fath for getting this!
Steel Buckler - 150Fc
Frey managed to wrestle this off a guard.

If we take apart the boat (and there's a bit of disagreement amongst the boys on this), we can salvage about 50 lengths of wood, a length of rope and maybe two bars' worth of copper.

-------

Indeed, this is a community fortress.  Think Nist Akath over Boatmurdered.  I enjoy succession games, but they have the disadvantage of slowness and a chance of breaking apart without a committed group playing (as in Abbeyverse or the Endless Halls).

I will endeavour to try and get a basic update or vignette done every 2 days or sooner, folks.  If not a lot is happening within the fortress to report about, I will typically do a vignette in its place.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:11:55 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

[deleted]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2009, 05:26:19 pm »

This is a community game, not succession, so no turns. We'll have to sit back and watch as Iituem leads our characters to greatness and glory, and perhaps tell an interesting story along the way.
Oh, understood. Yeah, I guess I had the wrong idea coming into this, but it's still highly interesting.

Now I know the difference between a community game and a succession game.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:31:28 pm by [deleted] »
The spinning Sea Lamprey dorsal fin strikes The Sea Lamprey in the head!
It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!
The Sea Lamprey is propelled away by the force of the blow!
The Sea Lamprey has been struck down.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5703-frostdrummed

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2009, 05:57:17 pm »

oh man, this sounds like it should be awsome!  ;D

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2009, 07:26:46 pm »

I noticed a curious oddity when looking through the Civilisation screen for the name of the King.  It turns out the party actually embarked from The Searing Crypts, not The Long Bolt as intended.  Whilst I could certainly re-embark with no difficulties, I think you'll find the 'quirk' to be rather interesting once certain events come into play.

Update in a couple of hours, probably.

Worship List for The Searing Crypts:

Onol the Tin Silver - God of Metals
Nish the East Wanderer of Wheels - Goddess of Wealth and Trade
Gigin - Goddess of Fortresses, Minerals and War
Zas Coppercoloured the Blueness of Dye - God of Jewels
Deler the Tin Oil - God of Mountains and Caverns
Nakas - Goddess of Revelry
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 07:51:32 pm by Iituem »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Olonkulet - Survival
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2009, 09:33:24 pm »

CHAPTER ONE:  SURVIVAL

It occurred to Frey soon after the boat had crashed that he might well be doomed to spend the remainder of his life in the company of a murderer, a bandit, a mad engineer, a mushroom-obsessed savant, a jewel thief and a siege engineer probably responsible for the deaths of hundreds.  On the bright side, there was a strong prospect that the remainder would not be very long.

When Danielle and Broose returned to the boat that evening, it had been tipped on its side and Fath was already busy taking it apart for parts.  A brief argument ensued, with Broose eventually conceding that it could be rebuilt in time.  Danielle busied herself drawing with a piece of chalk on the ground (itself chalk) and eventually ended up with a map.  The other dwarves gathered around as she explained.

"So the plain drops straight down about 220ft to the west.  There's desert at the bottom and little else."

"No trees, though," added Broose, "so my axe is going to be little help.  What wood we've got is in that ship hull, so let's not waste it."

"Plants are an issue too," continued Danielle, "so we're going to be living off our rations until we can grow some fresh firecaps.  Speaking of which, the mesa to the west has sand up the far surface, so we can dig some beds into that for growing mushrooms on.  It's a bit exposed and a bit of a walk from where we are right now, but it's the closest spot."

"We should set up a quarry to the southwest once that's done," ventured Loksvig.  "Start 'building up', as Danielle seems so keen on, near the boat.  Something communal, with a beerhall and bunks.  Let's get a roof over our heads before we worry about individual arrangements."

Emerin's Log - 12th Granite, 351

Things have strangely fallen to me to get things in order.  Frey and I have cleared out sections of the mesa's upper spire now for Danielle's farmwork, and Fash has drawn up plans for a basic shelter.  Presently we've been using the boat as cover, so anything will be a step up.  Danielle has conceded the necessity of basement storage, provided we do not delve deeper than ten feet below the surface, so we'll have a food store directly underneath the beerhall as well.  Good news there, at least.

13th Granite, 351

Looks like we're sat right on top of a tetrahedrite vein!  Along with the evidence of magnetite everywhere, if we're stuck here for a while we might be able to forge some decent tools for building the wagons.  At present, we must content ourselves with digging out this storage space and preparing for more building work.

24th Granite, 351

The stream thawed today.  Looks to be a seasonal thing.  We don't have a boat now, of course, but it will be useful to know for the future.  Broose slaughtered a number of goats and camels in the first week, as our site appears to be near a number of migratory trails.  Urgash has had a deal of fun trying to keep up with the backlog of corpses and slaughtering them.  We are likely to find ourselves with plenty of meat in the near future.

1st Slate, 351

"It's nae much," said Fath, "but it's hame."

"It's a shack," stated Broose flatly.

"And it's hame," repeated Fath.  "If yon dinnae like it, yon can build yon own damn hoose."

The building was not at all much and indeed something of a shack.  A squat stone building subdivided into two rooms, the house just about managed to cram in seven beds, a handful of tables and some doors.  It was just about big enough for a stonemason in-pocket to live comfortably with a spouse in back in the Mountainhomes.  Here, it promised cramped conditions and an emotional hothouse.

"There's more space in the cellar," muttered Broose.

"Well, yon can always make yonself comfy doon there wi' the barrels o' goat fat, nae?"

"Speaking of goat fat," Frey cut in, "how are we doing with the food situation?"

"We've food enough for seasons yet," explained Danielle.  "Our main issue is going to be drink.  I've seeded the glowcaps, but even with the current crop we may not have enough to pull through.  A dwarf drinks 18 fifths of a barrel of liquor every year.  We've got maybe thirty, thirty-five left, barely enough for two of us.  If we get a full crop of glowcaps this season, we can prop that up by another twenty perhaps, plus a bit more.  We've maybe enough to last til autumn on that basis."

"What then?" asked Emerin, fearing the answer.

"Sobriety."  A chorus of wails filled the crowd before Loksvig spoke up.

"Wait," he said, "this might not be too bad.  There's a trade caravan that passes through here on its way to the salt mines at Abbeyverse.  If we risk intercepting it-"

"And get caught?" exclaimed Broose.  "Are you mad?"

"They'll have booze, damn it!" shouted Loksvig.  "I think we can all agree that's more important!"  A vague murmur of assent rose from the alcoholic crowd.  "There's plenty of stone in the area, and we have leather and bone from Broose's hunts.  Urgash, you've got experience with bloodcrafts, right?  If we can get enough goods together for trade, we can buy the booze we need and maybe tools to build the wagons with.  Can we manage that?"  There was another rumble of assent.

"Then that's what we're going to do," decided Emerin.  "We need to survive, first and foremost.  We need booze."
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 12:00:09 am by Iituem »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2009, 10:04:13 pm »

Could you post the personality pages of us embarking seven? I'm interested in whether Emerin worships that god of jewels, and maybe whether or not she likes valuable gems.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2009, 11:57:38 pm »

Emerin's Log - 5th Felsite, 351

Danielle estimates nearly a thousand firecaps' worth of goods have been produced from Urgash's workshop.  I think that comes to about two hundred gold coins.  Should be plenty enough for trade, but Urgash has asked for another building to be constructed for a proper set of workshops.  If we combine the four bloodwork professions into one building, it should all fit quite neatly.

Vignette - Dusk & Solitude
10th Felsite, 351

Emerin glanced over her shoulder at the sound of scrabbling, then smiled as Loksvig clambered onto the roof.  She returned to her watch over the mountains to the south, lit by the waning light of dusk and the dim stone bowl of glowmash before her.  Loksvig sat down beside her with a bundle of twigs under his arm.

"Noticed you spend your evenings up here," he explained, dropping the twigs onto the ground.  "Thought you might like something a little brighter than that glowbowl."

"As if I could ever grow tired of that cyan aura!" she laughed musically, then smiled again and bowed her head in thanks.  "Where did you get these?"

"The desert.  Ran them by Dani, they're no good for eating or even basketweaving, and there's nothing out there thick enough to use as wood, but they ought to burn well enough.  Shall I try and get a fire started?"  Emerin nodded and so he began rifling through the pockets of his violet threadmoss robe.  It had been a rich affair once, suitable for nobility, but time and the harsh environment of prison had rendered it covered in rough stitching and patchwork.  Emerin wondered about that for a moment, then looked again to the mountains.

"I come for the view," she sighed softly, "and to be alone to view it.  Not that you're not welcome," she added quickly with a grin.  Loksvig chuckled at that and produced his flint sparker, then set about starting the tinder.  "It is cramped in the house, though," Emerin continued, "and I like to have somewhere to be alone at.  Up here, it's just me and the mountains." 

There was a little cheer from Loksvig as he managed to get the twigs to catch fire, prompting a giggle from Emerin.

"I used to do something like it, during the war," said Loksvig as he piled more twigs onto the fire, fanning it.  "When we were down in the tunnels, there was no such thing as quiet.  The miners were always chipping away at the stone - we worked in shifts so the tunnelling would never stop - and as engineers we were always dealing with either the siege engines or the brass.  One would never work, and the other would never let us free for an hour to repair them.

"Every now and again, though, we'd tap into these inclusions in the rock full of gemstones.  Big geodes, really.  Even being dwarves, mining takes time, so for the week or so before we moved out of range we'd all visit them on our breaks.  We'd just sit there in silence, pretending nobody else was in the chamber.  The beauty of it, of those deep gemstone chambers, I would not trade for the most precious of adamantine sculptures." 

Loksvig's eyes drifted to the far horizon, to the unseen hollows of those mountains and to memory.

"Eventually we'd have to move on," he continued.  "The tunnels had to be dug, the machines had to be moved.  There was a war on.  When we left those places behind, though, we'd break off a small piece of the scenery; a gemstone fragment to keep with us.  After that, whenever things were too hot and heavy, whenever we needed that solitude again, we could simply hold it and remember." 

He reached into a pocket and drew forth a tattered old pipemoss rag, unrolling it in his palm.  Twelve gemstone shards glimmered in the evening glow.

The pair sat in silence for a few minutes as the Sun descended upon the western horizon, blanketing the dusty chalk plains and the endless stretches of red sand in vibrant shades of gold, pink and purple.  Emerin spoke first.

"Loksvig," she began, "I've been meaning to say; you're our best mason and I'm glad we have you.  The tables in the beerhall actually make the place tolerable."  That produced a grin, so she went on.  "The work you've put in, getting the house up so fast and all; I guess I just wanted to say that I'm proud of you."

"Thank you," Loksvig smiled.  "I'm proud of you too, Emerin.  I know you're not really used to this, but you've managed to get us organised and working, all alongside the quarrywork you've been up to.  Aside from these moments in the evening, I've never seen you take a break."

He looked at her in silence again, save for the gentle crackling of the fire, his eyes roving over her features.  The way she wore her hair, the way her eyes could capture your own, the way the dying light of dusk framed her soft, luxuriant beard.  He felt himself leaning towards her, and so did she.

Beneath a violet sky, they fell into a passionate embrace.

-------

And now, profiles!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 12:02:34 am by Iituem »

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Olonkulet - Survival In The Desert
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2009, 12:26:10 am »

Every time I read an update I want to post and say how awesome it is. It's a little redundant at this point but BRAVO SIR. These are captivating and usually hilarious.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Olonkulet - Survival (Community/Fugitives)
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2009, 12:33:00 am »

you planning on making this like the olonkulet that maggarg 'invented'? brimming with traps everywhere, and every aspect of the fort possible done with machines?

if so, i just gotta have a dwarf :P name him ousire, and make him a mechanic. possibly give him a bit of seige engeneeiring too if ya plan on having balistas

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2009, 01:07:30 am »

Hmm. I guess Emerin's the leader. Bow down before your diamond queen! And I guess the siege engineering king consort, too.

I have a question. We all got backgrounds into what crimes our dwarves committed, and how they escaped, except for Frey. What crime did he commit? Or is that a story secret? Is he the lost heir to the throne of some dwarven civilization or something? Is he a king in exile? Will we find out next time, on Olonkulet?

I don't want you to force your hand or anything, of course. I'm just interested, is all.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2009, 10:56:34 am »

i was going to make something up about Loksvig, but he's already cool.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31