Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Soldiers do not train  (Read 1551 times)

clawdwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[40d] Soldiers do not train
« on: May 08, 2009, 05:19:38 am »

My soldierdwarves do not train in any of my fortresses. I set them off duty but all they do is standing around in the meeting hall, eat, drink and do not follow my orders.
There are barracks and a shootingrange but even if i station them inside and set them off duty, they run off to the next meeting hall...
The Fortress Guard is training as usual, it's only the soldiers who are that lazy!

What can i do to avoid that behavior?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 05:29:11 am by clawdwarf »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Soldiers do not train
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 09:55:17 am »

Check the soldiers for injuries. If you see an arrow in the corner of the screen, use +/- to scroll down and check for injuries. If they have any nervous system injuries (spine, neck, brain, generally), that wound will never heal and they'll never spar again (although they'll still fight and gain experience from goblins and whatnot).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

clawdwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 10:17:09 am »

No that's not the problem... But it turned out meanwhile, that the melee soldiers now train... not very often but they do. The marksdwarves do not... they do nothing. I can make them hunters meanwhile but it would be better if they simply go to the shooting range.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 11:19:55 am »

Off-duty soldiers do not spend all of their time training. They spend a decent amount of time effectively on-break as well, more than civilians do.

Markdwarves will only practice if you have wooden or bone bolts available and you've correctly set up your archery range.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 10:38:06 pm »

Let me guess, you trained the marksdwarves as wrestlers first?  Check to make sure they aren't holding anything weird.

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 04:50:15 pm »

i did that with my current marksmen(playing zombie mod) i trained my marksmen as wrestlers first then i set them to train as marksmen...*2 r legendary wrestlers the other 2 r great and i have 1 starting marksmen*
my first 2 one guy sat around doing nothing and the other practiced all he has in his hands r the rifle and nothing else in his other. the other two practice hammering each other and so does my first wrestler/marksmen. and i can't get them to stop :s

qwert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 07:32:17 pm »

I can almost guarantee that the marksdarves refusing to practice are holding a random item of clothing in the hand holding the crossbow. Strangely, this prevents them from using the item for skills; axes and pickaxes work the same way for woodcutting/mining iirc. Honestly, it will be much simpler to train them as wrestlers and try again with different dwarves :-\.

clawdwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 05:42:44 am »

thank you all but it was the lack of bone/wood-bolts that prevented them from sparring...

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 08:18:20 pm »

ahhh . well i have plenty of bone/wood bolts but they wont train. i hope my champions dont die when wrestling zombies