Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mortally injured animal trainer, hasn't died  (Read 5584 times)

Orange Drink

Mortally injured animal trainer, hasn't died
« on: May 09, 2009, 07:35:55 am »

So, I got a wave of migrants. amongst them was a useless animal caretaker. since he was green, I assumed he must have known something about hunting animals. First thing he goes for, a giant beetle. He got his heart punctured. For some reason, he isn't bleeding out. He was lying unconscious on the edge of the map for about five minutes until someone came and picked him up. He doesn't have any toughness level, just a completely ordinary dwarf.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Mortally injured animal trainer, hasn't died
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 11:13:11 am »

Did he bleed at all?  Are you playing with any mods?  (I'm guessing so since I don't recall any giant beetles)  Did you mod dwarves, or add/remove creatures without generating a new world?

Orange Drink

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 07:19:24 am »

No, he didn't bleed at all. Giant beetles are from the Civ Forge mod, dwarves haven't been altered at all, and I didn't remove anything after worldgen.

Well, one of my better trained hunters bashed the giant beetle to death which should have killed the caretaker, and the animal caretaker suddenly bled to death.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 10:33:09 am »

I've seen this as well.

A woodcutter ran into a goblin thief and was stabbed in the heart.  He lay on the ground spamming thousands of "Canceled Rest:  Interrupted by Goblin Thief" messages until the goblin thief left the map.  He then took a few steps towards the fortress, then bled to death.

I think the bug is such that a severely wounded dwarf will sometimes generate constant messages about being interrupted by the creature that wounded it while that creature is still on the map, and a dwarf who is constantly interrupting resting will never get around to bleeding to death.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 05:51:09 pm »

I think the bug is such that a severely wounded dwarf will sometimes generate constant messages about being interrupted by the creature that wounded it while that creature is still on the map, and a dwarf who is constantly interrupting resting will never get around to bleeding to death.

"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 08:07:56 pm »

Quoted lawl
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 01:27:00 pm »

Wow.  That quote sounds like it belongs in "24".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!