Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: We really need to get a Dwarf Fortress Store up and running  (Read 16195 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: We really need to get a Dwarf Fortress Store up and running
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 03:51:32 am »

You could do it, however if Toady doesn't want to run it, any money going to him would be a donation and you've been given permission to use any of his designs. You could find someone(s) to purchase T-shirts and sell them via friends first and see how well they do then try to get a pay pal thing sorted out.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 05:29:23 am »

I even have a shirt design ready.

I've been sceptical of the idea of DF merch in the past, but I'd buy that shirt in an instant. :)

Cool design that works even if people don't know the game + lack if words or logos = win. :)
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 06:11:43 am »

I'd happily get the microline shirt, just to blind my friends :D
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 06:59:37 am »

Okay, lemme break it down.

Toady has said over and over that he doesn't want to manage the hassle of running a store, nor deal with the hassle of letting someone else run a store.  You have to find a printer like Cafepress or Z-Stuff to make and distribute your products, deal with crap like copyrights and imitators, and if someone besides Toady is going to run the thing, you need contracts to say if anyone gets paid and ensure the money gets sent to Bay 12 Games.  Then there's the debatable point of just how much money any of this would actually earn after the bites that those producer/distributor companies take, and it just keeps going downhill from there.

But hey, don't let me stop you from trying to talk him into it.

Thank you for the redundancy and pessimistic attitudes.

It has nothing to do with pessimism. That is what Toady said a while ago. [This idea has been brought up many times already.]

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 07:09:19 am »

What we really need is stickied FAQ thread.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 07:36:48 am »

We find a sweatshop in china, order a bunch of shirts in bulk.

I'm getting a bit serious now, but I have to say this.

Associating Dwarf Fortress with exploitation of cheap labour and poor working conditions has many connotations which I am not convinced are easily overcome by ensuring that profit is maximised.

The maximisation of profit is also not something that I personally associate in any way with the DF project, and one of the many reasons why I adore it.

I don't think this idea is clever.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 08:06:27 am »

Associating Dwarf Fortress with exploitation of cheap labour and poor working conditions has many connotations which I am not convinced are easily overcome by ensuring that profit is maximised.

Well, it makes a lot of sense in a way.

I would probably buy the right DF shirt but I'm not sure what it would look like.  Probably no pixel/ASCII art.  Or actual depictions of dwarves.  Or animals.  Yeah, that doesn't leave much I guess.  Maybe just a tastefully muted graphic of a pick with the logo "Strike the Earth" or something.

DarkCloud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 09:18:00 am »

Probably no pixel/ASCII art.  Or actual depictions of dwarves.  Or animals.  Yeah, that doesn't leave much I guess.  Maybe just a tastefully muted graphic of a pick with the logo "Strike the Earth" or something.
So no gigantic "E" ?

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 09:44:00 am »

I just want a shirt made of cotton encircled with bands of cotton with an image of a shirt on it made of cotton.

Or one that says:

Beer Roast Ingredients:
1 pc Finely minced beer
1 pc Finely minced beer
1 pc Finely minced beer
1 pc Finely minced beer

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 09:48:43 am by Brian »

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 10:09:59 am »

Toady has said over and over that he doesn't want to manage the hassle of running a store, nor deal with the hassle of letting someone else run a store.  You have to find a printer like Cafepress or Z-Stuff to make and distribute your products, deal with crap like copyrights and imitators, and if someone besides Toady is going to run the thing, you need contracts to say if anyone gets paid and ensure the money gets sent to Bay 12 Games.  Then there's the debatable point of just how much money any of this would actually earn after the bites that those producer/distributor companies take, and it just keeps going downhill from there.

It has nothing to do with pessimism. That is what Toady said a while ago. [This idea has been brought up many times already.]

Just for the record it came up in the meetup yesterday.  He said that he didn't really want to do any merchandising now, mainly for the reasons outlined in this tread, but he may reconsider later.  It sounded like it probably wasn't going to happen, but he wasn't completely hostile to the idea if it started to make sense at some point.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 12:16:35 pm »

Does anyone have a link to that thread with the DF hoodie?  It had ramp & wall tiles on it.

That was the only 'clever inside joke internet phenomena' item of clothing I'd consider wearing - just cause it looked cool even if you didn't get the joke.  That was definitely something I'd buy.

Still, I understand why Toadie wouldn't want to spend time on such stuff - it sounds like a hassle.  And even if it wasn't a huge hassle, it's annoying sometimes to have to multitask, especially if you're interested in what you're working on.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 08:28:49 pm »

Don't forget that even without taking profits into consideration, many of us would like to have a nice DF shirt.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2009, 01:30:09 am »

This topic comes up a few times a year. As far as I know Toady has always given the same answer.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2009, 01:08:55 pm »

Just for the record it came up in the meetup yesterday.  He said that he didn't really want to do any merchandising now, mainly for the reasons outlined in this tread, but he may reconsider later.  It sounded like it probably wasn't going to happen, but he wasn't completely hostile to the idea if it started to make sense at some point.

Okay, thanks for the update.

What we really need is stickied FAQ thread.

Seconded.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2009, 02:04:20 pm »

In the meantime nobody will  be worse off if fans should have shirts printed on their own.

Free advertising.
Ofcourse, not many people will read an URL on a shirt and memorise it outside a social setting where the shirt and game came up in conversation....

shirts are a good way to advertise your deviations to likeminded though.

You know I wonder if a shirt saying "Snatcher, Protect the Children!" Would make the wearer look like a pedo.
:lol: I'd stay away from kindergartens and playgrounds just in case one of the mothers has a gun. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9