Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gosttun Mor Anur  (Read 540 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gosttun Mor Anur
« on: May 09, 2009, 10:30:00 pm »

Archdoors the Temple of Wonder.

Big as damn backstory.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"It is currently the 27th of Limestone, Early autumn, of the year 81. Having been here for less than a year, great progress has been made. Arriving here with 110 of each of the 7 Essential Inhebriants, and 350 pounds of both salted pork and perch, supplies were set to last while this great edifice was molded from the stone. It was backbreaking work, but already the foundations begin to come into shape". What we read here today to you at the Dwarven History Foundation of Gosttun Mor Anur, is a history of our own settlement. It is a diary, written by Erdo Foundstakes , the fortress' carpenter. Our own society is based entirely around the society created by our founders. We assign labors only to trained groups of 77, and only certain skills are taught. Have you ever wondered about why this is? Have you ever known? Would you like to know? You're here. I'll take that as a yes. Back in those times, if you went five feet from the front door, then you were in Dangerous Wilds.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 09:41:17 am by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gosttun Mor Anur
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 10:54:47 pm »

(Narration continued from the date quoted). I've only just gotten a chance to write down some records for the future. I bought some treated skins and a bag of bloodcap dye with which to write. I'll begin at the beginning. I watched as the digging and smoothing began right away with all the ferocity that could be mustered. Meanwhile, we began holding elections as to who would hold our Titles. Goden Galleysalves, a rather popular youngster dwarf, was the obvious candidate for the leader of the expodition, even if he wasn't experienced, he was a people person and he went out of his way to help a friend. After that, I stepped into the voting ring and was unanimously selected for manager, treasurer, sheriff and broker. Probably because of how gray my beard has gotten. It did take a while, but things came to shape. We had the blueprints set out beforehand, with every complaint and sugestion weighed carefully. It was decided that the traditional entrance of a Mountainhome allowed no circulation, so we had made a large, open-air rampway spanning five levels. It was complained that while yes, the sun was horrid, the feeling of a bit of space above your head did wonders to one's sense of purpose and happiness. So we made all of our bedrooms, workshops, places of both meeting and dining, stockpiles and the farms, to have two levels to them. It was complained that the usual forgeworks was rather drab, so we designed piping and a rather stylish setup for both the forgeworks and for the jobs that needed fresh water, like fishing, fish cleaning, cooking, and brewing.

Speaking of both ventilation and the stockpiles, we found a chasm when making our stockpiles. The ground floor was floored and walled in the areas needed to maintain the proper floorplan, but the level above was left some gaps. A nice, cool breeze comes in constantly, and the sound of all the bats fluttering around is quite pleasing. Even if the bats have setup roost all through the fortress as a consequence. After we breached the chasm, we decided to find what the surveyor had told us about and any other things we could find. A large, bottomless pit was our first discovery. It was right next to the chasm, funnily enough. Our second find was a cave river in the south that flowed from cracks in the rock and north towards our fortress before doubling back on itself and dropping steeply into the earth. Our final find was a pipe of magma in the southeast. Doubtless enough it is the cause of all the snowflake obsidian and normal obsidian to be found literally everywhere.

I've got to cut off here. We've dug out all the sections that we pre-planned, and we're to start work on both furnishing everything, and getting some irrigation set up for the farms. Furniture means beds, and I'm the only one here qualified at all for that.

A quick note though, before I leave. We're still trading with some dwarf merchants that showed up just recently. We're trading them the clothes and armor of a group of krells that tried to attack us. We're also trading them the clothes of Kogan's father, who died assaulting the krells. I never knew him and feel no remorse, but he did mortally wound 6 of their macekrells, their axekrell leader, and killed the warg their leader rode on. He was a good dwarf in my books for that. I'll see to it that his grave is right next to the artifact armor stand my nephew Nil made. He's a miner, and he still claims no knowledge in masonry, despite the work of art. He'd gone fey in the eyes and mind, and afterwards his supervisor reports that he turns rock walls to dust just by glaring at them hard enough. A hardy miner indeed!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gosttun Mor Anur
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 09:42:20 am »

(Story post 3 will arrive once my computer is reconnected in my new bedroom. Currently at the library with no DF  :-[. Pics will be provided soon also.)