Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [BIOME_SITE:CITY] and [BIOME_ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] creature tags  (Read 1011 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

I think it would be nice if we could specify that certain creatures appear around certain entities or sites. In real life we have many animals that can be found in large numbers within cities or around human activity. Some that come to mind include pigeons, rats, cockroaches, seagulls, foxes, hedgehogs and many others.

I know we can almost do this already by specifying certain creatures turn up in the same biomes that certain civs favour but this is unreliable. I propose some new tags to deal with this.

[BIOME_SITE:site type]
with the options: CITY, TREE_CITY, DARK_FORTRESS, CAVE, CAVE_DETAILED, RUIN
e.g. [BIOME_SITE:CITY]
Would allow creatures to appear in certain types of site regardless of which entity occupies the site.

[BIOME_ENTITY:entity name]
with the options (in vanilla DF): MOUNTAIN, FOREST, PLAINS, EVIL, SKULKING.
e.g. [BIOME_ENTITY:PLAINS]
Would allow creature to appear in sites occupied by certain entities regardless of site type.

I want this added so that I can have feral dogs and pigs found around specific civs.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [BIOME_SITE:CITY] and [BIOME_ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] creature tags
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 12:15:02 am »

Seconded.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 07:11:43 am »

Good idea.  8)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 08:57:29 am »

Thirded.

Little peace of related knowledge: Foxes life so long among humans that you can tell city-foxes apart from land-foxes by their Genetics (in europe).
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 10:53:56 am »

I'd love to see some zombies or evil goasts in some town ruins.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 01:13:56 pm »

I don't support this tag-- yet.  Simply because as it is now, cities aren't large enough to support being a biome.  When toady's plan to have simulated population comes into effect with cities populating millions (or at least thousands), then I will support this fully.

Basically, I don't think civilization has enough of an impact on the enviornment yet in order to create things like pigeons.  People are living in the wilderness right now, not the other way around.

But this will change.  Oh yes, this will change.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 02:21:17 pm »

I'm glad there has been mostly support for this idea.

Fieari I do see how you mean, but then entities do have a fair impact on their surroundings already just look at the deforestation during world gen. It is said that wolves were hanging around with humans since before we had huge cities and became domesticated.

I cant help but imagine dark fortresses crawling with all kinds of nasty vermin and the occasional beast living of the dead outside.

One other advantage it would add is assuring certain entities get certain mounts.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Drake1500

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 10:01:46 pm »

I also put my full support behind this idea. It's simple enough, but adds a lot to the game, from what I can think of. It adds a whollaping punch to the possible realism in DF. Awesome suggestion!  ;D

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 11:42:37 pm »

I like the idea.  Perhaps you should add it to the http://www.bay12games.com/forum/eternal_voting.php list?
Computer says 'No'.