Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Couple Minor Ideas  (Read 1479 times)

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
A Couple Minor Ideas
« on: May 12, 2009, 04:46:14 am »

I had couple of ideas for some small "improvements" to LCS, and I thought I'd share them to see if anybody else thought they were decent, or if my brain was simply steering me in the wrong direction (again).

1. Selling stolen cars seems to be a bit on the easy side. I propose that a new "car salesperson" character should be created, and that stolen cars can only be sold once you have recruited one of these "car salespeople" and have sent them to work at the dealership as a sleeper. A random "You have been caught in a police car theft sting" event could also be added/substituted for my above idea.

2. The pawn shop already serves this function (somewhat), but I was thinking that a new "Used Clothing Store" could be added to the game. You would have to sell your clothing here instead of at the pawn shop, and you could buy cheaper clothing here as well. The selection would probably have to be randomized however (Sorry sir, we sold our last cheap suit yesterday), and the clothing might not (in certain cases) be in tip top condition. The lower a character's tailoring skill, the higher their chances of buying a second/third/forth rate article of clothing. A character with a higher tailoring skill would be more likely to notice these flaws, and would therefore only purchase first rate items. Either that, or they could request a discount after bringing such flaws to the clerk's attention.  A "Used Clothing Store" could also allow the creation of a "vintage clothes" item, which, though it probably wouldn't serve any useful function, would be damn awesome as it would allow the player's squad to run around in whatever the player's perception of "vintage clothing" was.

Also, I've got some ideas for some "flavor text", so if anybody knows the proper steps I need to go through to submit it for Fox's approval, could they please let me know?
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: A Couple Minor Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 06:39:25 am »

John wouldn't mind any extra flavor text. Anything creative enough would work.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:14:20 pm »

I find the pace of discussion a little overwhelming already, but there's no formal submission process. The best way to suggest flavor text would probably be to just post it in the forum -- in this thread, for example. That way, others can comment on it as well, and make suggestions.

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:34:18 pm »

Alright, I'll post my "flavor text" ideas here. They're all related to hotwiring, because I always felt the provided text was too quick to repeat itself. I've tried going for a somewhat "humourous" approach for some of these, although some of my lines are just there to be functional, and others are fairly similar to the text already in the game. A couple of them are probably too "off the wall" to be of any use, but if even a couple of them are fit enough to be used in the game, then I'll be more than happy to have been of some help. Anyway, here they are:

(Name) almost recieves a nasty shock while crossing two live wires, but the car doesn't start.

(Name) attempts to force the ignition, but the car doesn't start.

(Name) somehow causes the left turn signal to start blinking, but the car doesn't start.

(Name) randomly crosses two wires together, accidentally delivering power to the car's radio
       and filling the cabin with the conservative sounds of a southern rock group, but the
       car doesn't start.

(Name) pokes around at the wiring under the dashboard, but the car doesn't start.

(Name) recieves a minor shock while attempting to cross some wires, but the car doesn't start.

(Name) reaches under the dashboard and randomly connects two wires, but the car doesn't start.

(Name) screams at the conservative car and bangs an angry fist on the dashboard, but the car
       doesn't start.

(Name) crosses a yellow wire with a blue one, but the car doesn't start.

(Name) crosses a green wire with a black one, but the car doesn't start.

(Name) curses Henry Ford while randomly touching wires together, but the car doesn't start.

(Name) causes something in the engine to emit an unhealthy grinding sound, but the car doesn't
       start.

(Name) somehow manages to get the windshield wipers going, but the car doesn't start.

(Name) almost get electricuted after crossing two live wires, but the car doesn't start.

(Name) messes up and shorts out the vehicle's climate control, but the car doesn't start.

(Name) explains to the car that it by refusing to dedicate itself to the liberal cause, it is
       acting in a very conservative manner, but the car doesn't start.

(Name) whistles a Bob Dylan song while randomly touching wires together, but the car doesn't
       start.

(Name) crosses an orange wire with a green one, somehow causing a cassette to be ejected from
       the car's tape deck, but the car doesn't start.

(Name) crosses two green wires, causing the dash-mounted clock to reset itself, but the car
       doesn't start.

(Name) finds a screwdriver in the glovebox, and attempts to use it to force the ignition, but
       the car doesn't start.

(Name) somehow slips the transmission into netural, causing the vehicle to roll backwards a
       couple of feet, but the car doesn't start.

(Name) tries to force the ignition, causing the engine to make a series of loud knocking
       noises, but the car doesn't start.

(Name) reaches under the steering wheel and connects a few wires, but the car doesn't start.

(Name) upsets the car's ashtray while reaching for some loose wires under the dashboard, but
       the car doesn't start.

The format I've written these in is probably incorrect and would have to be modified if any of them are to be used. I apologize for that, but I know absolutely nothing about programming.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:01:56 pm »

1. Selling stolen cars seems to be a bit on the easy side. I propose that a new "car salesperson" character should be created, and that stolen cars can only be sold once you have recruited one of these "car salespeople" and have sent them to work at the dealership as a sleeper. A random "You have been caught in a police car theft sting" event could also be added/substituted for my above idea.

I wouldn't suggest making things so complex as to require a Car Salesperson character.  Instead, I'd suggest the money earned by selling car be based on the Business skill.  People who don't have this skill may get convinced the car is junk, and not recieve anything.

As far as stolen cars is concerned, I'd suggest basing the chance of the stolen car getting spotted on the Street Smarts skill.

Coincidentally, the new suggested recruit type, "Car Salesperson" would have high business skill (we're talking CEO high...) and at usually have some skill in Street Smarts (we are talking about used car salespeople...not the most scrupulous sort...).  Of course, recruiting this person would certainly help, but wouldn't be mandatory.

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 12:28:57 pm »

I came up with a few more "flavor text" ideas. These ones were written with liberal disobedience in mind:

(Name) plastered a parked police car with liberal bumper stickers.

(Name) snuck into a fast food kitchen and put laxatives in the hamburger meat.

(Name) disrupted a corporate stockholder's meeting.

(Name) went on a five-hour hunger strike in front of an cosmetics research lab.

(Name) poured a bag of sugar into the gas tank of a corporate limo.

(Name) stole a RFID reader and used it to price Wal-Mart's merchandise at $1.

(Name) acted like a pompus ass while pretending to be an undercover cop.

(Name) burned down corporate billboards.

(Name) vandalised a few gas-guzzling Hummers that were parked outside a dealership.

Not to be a bother. but if anybody can give me feedback on these or lines about hotwiring that I posted before, I would be greatly interested in hearing it.

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 12:32:21 pm »

I also wrote some flavor text relating to the "community service" activity. So far's I know, there is no flavor text associated with that aspect of the game.

(Name) climbed up a tree and rescued a little girl's kitten.

(Name) spent the day picking up roadside litter.

(Name) went to the hospital and read to a group of sick children.

(Name) planted a tree.

(Name) helped a stranded motorist change a flat tire.

(Name) found and returned a family's lost dog.

(Name) helped an elderly lady carry her groceries home from the store.

(Name) helped a small child work the knots out of his shoelaces.

(Name) cleaned cages at the local animal shelter.

(Name) helped a homeless man raise enough money for bus fare.

(Name) delivered meals on wheels.

(Name) helped out at the local retirement home.

(Name) weeded the flower beds at the local park.

(Name) walked dogs for the local animal shelter.

(Name) foiled an attempted purse snatching.

(Name) retrieved a small child who had wandered into traffic.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 12:40:23 pm »

I came up with a few more "flavor text" ideas. These ones were written with liberal disobedience in mind:

One thing to note is that the flavor text in civil disobidence actually indicate that you are actually affecting certain issues. For example, if you get the flavor text that you attacked people with fur coats, you really are attacking people with fur coats. You influence the Animal Rights issue, and get charged with the crime of Assault. If you re-enact a police beating, you really are re-enacting a police beating, affecting the Police Behavior issue. When you conduct civil disobidence, you usually get the charge of Disturbing the Peace.

Civil disobidence got a cap on juice, but they are a somewhat safe method by which you can influence a couple of issues, abliet slowly. One thing that interests me is that Civil Disobidence does not count as political violence, so you do not alienate the site when you actually commit the crimes. Plus, the charges you do get are easy to beat.

This makes it a little bit hard to implement every single of those flavor choices, since it would make civil disobidence a bit more broader in promoting liberal issues, at the cost of accumalting a more nasty rap sheet in the process.

Volunterring just affect LCS popularity, so there's no in-game effect for the flavor text for your second post.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:41:55 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 05:17:31 pm »

Thanks for that info. I'll try to write some issue-based lines for civil disobedience.

Oksbad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 02:07:33 pm »

Aren't they already?

(Name) plastered a parked police car with liberal bumper stickers.

Police issue
Animal rights and/or genetic modification
(Name) disrupted a corporate stockholder's meeting.
Corporate issue
(Name) went on a five-hour hunger strike in front of an cosmetics research lab.
Animal rights
(Name) poured a bag of sugar into the gas tank of a corporate limo.
Corporate
(Name) stole a RFID reader and used it to price Wal-Mart's merchandise at $1.
Corporate
(Name) acted like a pompus ass while pretending to be an undercover cop.
Police
(Name) burned down corporate billboards.
Corporate
(Name) vandalised a few gas-guzzling Hummers that were parked outside a dealership.
Environment/polution
I always just found it peculiar that the police are always able to pin the crime on you 100 percent of the time. The fact that organized crime rings exist at all without being bombed to hell by the national guard is evidence enough that this is not strictly the case in reality.

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 05:27:57 pm »

[/quote]

I was thinking that LSD sould be sprinkled into the meat as opposed to laxitives. That way, it could impact drug laws, something which liberal disobedience has yet to do. I'm currently working on some others, but I want to write at least two different actions for each issue (OCD), and it's taking me a mite longer than I expected.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 06:05:58 am »

Police spot you attempting to steal a car;

"STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!"
!!&!!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 01:31:13 pm »

"Your stolen goods are not forfeit! Pay the court a fine or serve your sentence!"
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 02:52:53 pm »

"Your stolen goods are not forfeit! Pay the court a fine or serve your sentence!"
Oh God...

On the topic of car sales, it's *very* annoying to only be able to sell the cars that are being used by the selling squad. Can't they just have them towed?
LCS developer, insomniac, writer.