Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No more migrants?  (Read 2047 times)

Andy425

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
No more migrants?
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:28:22 pm »

Hello,

For some time now I have not been getting any new migrants.  I receive regular visits from merchants and the dwarf liaison makes it off the map without any problems. My population continues to dwindle and I am now down to 29 very old dwarves. They aren't even having any new children.

Also had another question. At one point I had a king come to my fort and then died to something that I cant even remember.  If I abandon this fort and reclaim, will I have another king come?

Thanks!

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No more migrants?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 01:46:01 pm »

In the current version you won't get a new king.

As for the migrant problem:

- Is this an old fort? In that case, after a certain number (some 1000, I don't remember) of units in the unit list you won't get any migrants anymore. IIRC this can be fixed with DFhack.

- Did you fiddle with the population cap?

- Do you get any messages like "the fort didn't attract any migrants this season"?

- Did a lot of your dwarfs die recently? In that case your fort might be marked as a death trap and you might not get migrants temporarily.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 03:31:29 pm »

Also you say, "they arent even having any babies",

I assume at least 2 of your 29 are married ? There are separate population caps for adults and children. If you have married dwarves, 0 children and no ones having babies I would suggest altering ur child cap to >0.

If not check our the marriage/relationships section of the wiki.

This is also an excellent read on the topic of marriages and relationships in a fort.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117274.0

Andy425

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 06:54:44 pm »

Thanks a lot for the help! It is a very old fort so my unit list is huge which I am guessing is the problem.  If I abandon and reclaim will I get any kind of nobility again?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 07:01:47 pm »

Thanks a lot for the help! It is a very old fort so my unit list is huge which I am guessing is the problem.  If I abandon and reclaim will I get any kind of nobility again?

Nope, there is no succession in this version. However, it will happen in the next release, which is maybe a month or two away.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 09:08:26 am »

If it's the unit list problem, DFHack can pull unimportant deaths from the unit list AFAIK, which could fix this. I don't remember the details, maybe someone else can fill in or you could ask in the DFhack thread.