Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: My epic first dragon encounter!  (Read 50936 times)

PotatoMuncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My epic first dragon encounter!
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 10:46:53 am »

I'm in year 211, my 10th year (I think) AND only one mega beast... a Titan who was instantly slaughtered by my 9 or so adamant wielding champions... I want a dragon.
I think we found the only thing stupider than a dwarf.
Ladies and Gentlemen; Wagons can run shit over.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2009, 12:03:37 pm »

My first dragon encounter? It was picked up and thrown around a bit by a wrestler. A solitary wrestler.

Dragons are pretty easy. I for one think they should have crossbows attached all over their bodies. That would be a true megabeast.
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2009, 03:54:01 am »

Heh, how about adding an Adamantium Colossus. 

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2009, 04:04:10 am »

I feel a rising urge to inflict severe pain.... Just a warning

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2009, 10:16:11 am »

My first megabeast came along. A Titan.

I activate my entire military, including 2 hammerdwarf champions and a crossbow champion, stationing them within my killfield with 8 crossbow dwarfs overlooking the area, peering through the fortifications and await the massive battle ahead.

Then, the Titan steps on my outer ring of weapons traps and dies.

It seems this story isn't new.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2009, 01:53:18 pm »

Give the Titan damblock 100 and nopain.
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2009, 03:40:21 am »

Give the Titan damblock 100 and nopain.

And [FIREBREATH].
Just 'cos it's funny ^^
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2009, 04:51:02 am »

Megabeasts are pretty wimpy atm; HFS is far more dangerous.

There are plenty of mods to add more lethal megabeasts however.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2009, 07:24:57 am »

Yeah, my macedwarf champion gave the titan a boubou on his leg, and it collapsed in pain.  A crossbowdwarf hits both its lungs, a human caravan guard hits it with an arrow, the maceman bashes its head in.

Total dwarven casualties: None
Total human casualties: None
Total traps used (he was killed 3 squares from my trap wall): None
Animals killed (I surrounded my trade depot/ entrance steps with war dogs): None

I was waiting for a semi or full megabeast, but now one has come I'm a bit dissapointed.  Still, a nice thing for my macedwarf to have on her CV.

EDIT: OMG.  Just had first dragon.  Ordered dwarves to stay inside, but for some reason the same macedwarf who killed the titan casually wandered out.  Resisted a firebreath, hit the dragon in the tail, stunning it.  Then (this is the bit I don't get) he seemed to kill the dragon.  In one hit.  Without wounding it, or making it faint.  Just killed it, instantly, in one hit.  Now that was quite something.  No damage or casualties (well, the dragon injured a stray war dog and a stray bull in its fire, who subsequently died when they hit traps, but I don't think that counts) in 2 mega beasts, and they both go on the CV of this macedwarf (who also apparently killed 5 goblins in the last siege).  Do previous kills make dwarves stronger?

Now "Daskot Snakelashed the Armored Urg-".  Hmm, is there anyway to see the rest of the name?  She's also got 2 more names on the unit screen, and I can't see what job she's doing.  Also, I'm giving her my artifact iron mace.

Oh yeah, and it melted some random zinc I had lying around.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 02:22:20 pm by Leafsnail »

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2009, 12:14:02 pm »

If you'll kindly allow me...

[Shameless plug] There are a variety of different dragons in my new mod and all seem to behave relatively intelligently (no self-immolation sightings yet!) so why don't you head down and try it out? I'd love to get some nice juicy feedback!

You can find the mod here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=35736.0

It's called Dwarf Fortress DIG DEEPER and expands greatly upon vanilla game play without breaking the feel of the game. [/Shameless plug].

Sorry about that... As for your dragon... Could have been worse... Least he wasn't clawed to death by a kitten or something [I've seen it happen...]
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2009, 12:40:26 pm »

This'll be possible in the next version.  I mean, it's possible now to just give it a damblock of over 9000 and call it adamantine, but in the next version you can make a creature whose tissues are actually made of adamantine.  Although the bludgeoning damage of its punches would kind of suck.  Maybe it could stab you with its fingers instead.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2009, 12:48:44 pm »

Sorry about that... As for your dragon... Could have been worse... Least he wasn't clawed to death by a kitten or something [I've seen it happen...]

Why do I suddenly have a mental image of a dragon with a terrified kitten clinging to it's tail running around screaming "Get it off!"
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2009, 01:00:00 pm »

This'll be possible in the next version.  I mean, it's possible now to just give it a damblock of over 9000 and call it adamantine, but in the next version you can make a creature whose tissues are actually made of adamantine.  Although the bludgeoning damage of its punches would kind of suck.  Maybe it could stab you with its fingers instead.
Then again, with adamantine hide, lead fists probably wont be too bad.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2009, 01:18:40 pm »

Although the bludgeoning damage of its punches would kind of suck

I don't remember him confirming material definitions for natural attacks beyond material breaths.

That would certainly be interesting.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2009, 01:27:44 pm »

Now "Dakot Snakelashed the Armored Urg-".  Hmm, is there anyway to see the rest of the name?  She's also got 2 more names on the unit screen, and I can't see what job he's doing.  Also, I'm giving him my artifact iron mace.

That's the whole name.  It's like the Black Beast of Aaargh
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4