Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: My epic first dragon encounter!  (Read 50746 times)

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My epic first dragon encounter!
« on: May 12, 2009, 04:53:36 am »

Seconds after arriving upon my fortress, it let out a great roar (I imagine), and then jumped into the adjacent volcano and was instantly incinerated.

The end. 

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
Re: My epic first dragon encounter!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 05:08:39 am »

Puff the magic dragon thought he could svim... in lava!
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 05:20:41 am »

I uh... don't have great luck with megabeasts.

The hammerer thought it would be funny to beat up my tamed hydra's master, and caused the subsequent annihilation of the entire fortress guard...

And I didn't even get a dramatic ending to it, the hydra just fell in a hole and died.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:21:37 am »

i havent even met a megabeast  :P
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 05:23:39 am »

I've almost never met one. I bet that dragon thought he could ambush dwarves by lying in wait in the lava

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 05:26:28 am »

mind if i sig that?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 05:38:18 am »

Go right ahead!

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 05:42:23 am »

Great.

remove all dangerous holes so that other hydras dont trip and hurt themselves.

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 06:54:19 am »

I have a titan standing next to the spot where my wagon came in. Just standing there...
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 07:07:38 am »

dragon 1 -
had no front legs. constantly passed out till a caravan left my depo and passed by it, and the guards beat it to death while it was unconcious.

dragon 2 - went down a random single tile staircase in the furthest corner of the map to get access to my underground mapwide water mechanisms. smashed a floodgate, got stuck and drowned.

dragon 3 - came into my inner courtyard then crawled into my moat so it could break all the doors there. got stuck there for 3 years or so and could not get out, even when i took away some walls and drained the moat. so i got bored and shot him full of crossbow bolts.

dragon 4 - took a single bone bolt to the head from a legendary hunter and fell instantly dead a few microseconds after he appeared. the hunter actually hauled his corpse back to the butchers, which was a bit of a silver lining. many dragon tallow biscuits were had.

ive also gotten a titan, who was caught in a cage trap. i threw him into a pit with around 100 tame animals, thinking he would get rid of them all. after a few months of running around mashing kittens and getting lots of grey injuries he passed out from exhaustion and got kicked to death by a horse. repeated savescums showed this was not a fluke. nothing can beat a large pit full of 100+ kittens, puppies and horse foals. including goblin sieges with legendary weaponsmasters, berserk craftsdwarves and tentacle demons. im assuming bronze colossus who do not get tired, and anything that breathes/throws fire would be the exceptions to this. although firebreathers would doubtlessly die in the inferno they would create.

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 11:37:47 am »

Give firebreathers all the flameproof tags :)
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 12:11:59 pm »

Ahhh, I remember my first dragon attack...

The suspense as it came towards my fortress... My marks dwarves at the ready...

It got caught in a cage trap  ::)
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 12:54:45 pm »

My first arrived injured/unconscious as well, and my army wiped it out without breaking a sweat.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 12:57:51 pm »

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress.

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 01:19:40 pm »

I so wanted to cage the dragon... it stepped in a (by design) light trap. The trap was WAY off anywhere important and only there, because there ONCE was an entrance.
It only hat 2 swords in it... it cut his feet and bled to death on the way to my fortress.

Sad :(... but I had some nice bisquits from it ^^
Pages: [1] 2 3 4