Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 749162 times)

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2009, 09:28:34 am »

I've been mulling over the idea of playing this game, but I've heard that the admins are horrible bastards.

Any truth to that?

That depends on who's hosting.  Some hosts can be immature and throw tantrums(Or have admins like that).  The best thing to do in that situation is just leave and join another server(Or host your own and create your own rules)

I have heard some really nasty stories about those admins.

For example: One player was being constantly murdered the second he entered any server by the same guy over and over again. Said player goes to the admin to ask him to talk the offending player to stop. Admins reaction: "STFU before I mute and ban you, go to hell.

I've been told it's fun, and if there was a server and admin I knew I could count on (instead of these immature, rude, brats) then I'd play for sure.

Edit: Just found another good story: A guy was banned for no reason by an admin, and was requesting that the admin un-ban him. The admin says: I'll unban you if you send me 5 dollars through pay-pal.

I used to be an admin in 2006, back before goonstations 'n' such. Back when the game hadn't been updated in 2 years. We faced a lot of problems. Some were other crappy admins. Other, griefers who after griefing some one, would get griefed, and complain. Or people who legitimately were playing, would get harassed when they did their job. Poor security.

Admin kick's ass tho. Cloak + sword + swat armor = rape.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2009, 09:59:41 am »

I wouldn't use BYOND for that. SS13 is probably the only open ended game that uses BYOND. Even then, the only complex thing in it is the air system.

I saw one or two seemingly open-ended games on BYOND, one of which is called 'Dungeon Master' that is a game with a concept similar to DF in that you cut trees, dig into mountains, build workshops with stone/wood, mine stuff and smelt metal and smith it, craft items out of resources, etc. Granted, its still very buggy and undevelopped, but its a proof of concept for sandbox games on BYOND.

Besides, I have no idea what other engine could be used to make multiplayer online games easily. I'm interested in trying to program a simple online game, but I simply cant comprehend programming network stuff in standard progamming languages (or programming sprites for that matter).

So, how about trying to reverse-engineer some code from the SS13 source code, like the job systems or whatever else wouldnt be found in standard BYOND games, and using those for a basis of a DF game? Or, if not, what is a recommended engine other than BYOND to try to make such a game? (Don't tell me "learn a programming language", some people don't have the time or the skills to build multiplayer games from scratch, and I'm one of these people)
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2009, 11:17:51 am »

No need to reverse engineer SS13's code, its already been done.  There's an open source of it at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=222797&package_id=269269&release_id=612493

By the way, the source looks terrible, but you should be able to find what you're looking for.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2009, 11:34:48 am »

No need to reverse engineer SS13's code, its already been done.  There's an open source of it at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=222797&package_id=269269&release_id=612493

By the way, the source looks terrible, but you should be able to find what you're looking for.

Wow, what luck! Thanks!
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2009, 10:34:49 pm »

Anyone willing to start another server?

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2009, 04:37:52 pm »

Anyone willing to start another server?

Me

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2009, 04:40:21 pm »

Never mind. not working right

I can't get the game to run the right way.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 04:50:34 pm by moghopper »

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2009, 04:41:34 pm »

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2009, 05:00:38 pm »

got it working!

Give me the word and i'll host!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2009, 09:32:02 pm »

Well, I am going to try it now.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2009, 09:42:58 pm »

;D I got perma banned from a server for using IC in OOC. Still a fun game though but the admis seem to thing they're better than the world.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2009, 10:11:50 pm »

can anybody explain most things to me? I've managed to wear a fire suit and a gas mask, to release a guy from a jail, to release toxins and to fly out in an open space...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rockdtben

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2009, 11:46:57 pm »

There already is a multiplayer game VERY VERY VERY similiar to Dwarf Fortress on BYOND. Its called Dungeon Master. http://www.byond.com/games/Ginseng/DungeonMaster

Its a blatant rip off of DF but you can't copyright ideas....

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2009, 12:56:05 am »

Its a blatant rip off of DF but you can't copyright ideas....

Yes you can.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2009, 01:16:51 am »

you can copyright ideas as long as they are novel, thats what a copyright is.

However, DF is a blatant ripoff of...um...all fantasy. Dwarfs, goblins, elfs (not elves), fortresses.

I dont think Toady came up with carp, drawbridges, waterwheels,etc...

I need to stop eating that paste, i feel funny.
I got nothing
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 950