Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 747821 times)

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« on: May 12, 2009, 06:04:22 pm »

Okay, so Space Station 13 is a cool little online game where everyone is on one space station, performing duties based on their job. The interface and graphics are shitty and all, but I doubt we Bay12ers really care. I was only recently introduced to the game, but my friend who is on it a lot has told me some hilarious stories that have happened on it.

http://www.byond.com/games/hub/Exadv1/SpaceStation13

Also note, it is not very popular right now, and could use more active players.

Rules:

Alright, since now have a server there are some things you need to know if you want to play:

1. It is easy to get banned. If you are messing around on a full server, you will probably be banned. Don't think you won't get banned just because you're from B12.

2. Don't appeal your ban, or talk about your ban in the topic, at all. PM one of the admins. If you don't follow this rule, Johbson and Toady will both become very sad and I will kill myself.

Things that need to be done (last updated July 16th)

To keep ideas organized, I've added a list of features we need implemented:

1. Remove the Cent. Com Reports. This causes Metagaming, and I think it would be more fun without it. Should be easy to do.

2. Make Ion storms, and maybe even plasma storms make radios only emit static.

3. Remove the mixing room outside toxins. We have one already, inside toxins.

4. Connect Toxin's hallway APC to the SMES battery. As it stands no, no power. Quite annoying. Also, maybe make a few more solar panels.

5. Add a traitor device that, when activated, causes static within a 10 tile radius.

6. Make it so you get an alert when your internals hit 0, and it takes longer to die with 0 internals on.

7. Make it so pipes are buildable.

GO TO THIS THREAD OR DIE: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=40496.0

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 07:00:45 pm by Broose »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 06:09:26 pm »

Oh hey, I heard of this years and years ago.

Worth checking out...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 06:17:28 pm »

I did too.

Maybe if someone here started a game I might join.
Eh?
Eh!

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 06:25:49 pm »

I might be able to find out how to make a game, one sec.

Rockdtben

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 06:31:07 pm »

Hey guys!

I'm actually a moderator on their forums. The project is currently open source and their are a few straggler left who would be interested in meeting new people.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 06:37:54 pm »

Hey guys!

I'm actually a moderator on their forums. The project is currently open source and their are a few straggler left who would be interested in meeting new people.

Alright, do you know how I would be able to start a game up?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 06:58:39 pm »

There were actually quite a few B12ers that played SS13. Most of them hang out on irc tho.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 07:03:49 pm »

I was surprised I couldn't find another SS13 thread.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 07:57:42 pm »

I used to play this a lot back in the day. I was a griefer at the start, but learned to love RPing, like most SS13er's. However, the new updater completely ruined the game by limiting griefing potential. The whole point of SS13, was the ability to do anything. That's why security existed.

I still even remember how to make bombs, electric chairs and the such.

Dari

• Bay Watcher
  • I punt kobolds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 12:18:26 am »

Yeah there's more to it then just playing Dr. Mendeleev with various tools, medical items, combustable gasses etc. I've found it's incredibly fun when people actually roleplay within the parameters of a given scenario, in fact some of my fondest memories of online gaming come from a few fantastic, well roleplayed rounds.

And if you are really into roleplaying then it seems somewhat absurd that a multibillion research staion would hire around thirty unpredictable violent sociopaths, many of which believe they are ShadowChaos114427 or dragon ball zed characters. A big problem I think causes so many people to spend most their time playing Death Arena 13 is the lack of a real concrete ingame help/tutorial. What does that remind you of? I remember when I was a fresh-faced newb asking "how do i put shoe on" and "what does the red O2 box mean?" it was a time of magic, discovery, and submitting to the scorn of experienced players. I think there are various tutorials and stuff being compiled, and some game versions have compiled their own.
In case of death, coat in platinum, and worship as idol god.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 08:48:29 am »

This looks like fun.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 10:03:18 am »

somebody must teach me it.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 01:34:51 pm »

i dont know, i tried playing when the IRC crowd was big into it, but i just couldnt get into it.  i dont mind the interfaces from ascii generated roguelikes, or even text based MUDs, but SS13 was just unuseable.

like you say, putting a shoe on is a battle and actually performing complex tasks requires the effort of learning an entire forign language.  the gui is non-intuitive and poorly organized, and some of the functions are administrative game-control functions that you should "never click on".

even entering the game area from the staging location is an uphill battle that requires help from other players, since there is no other help system, and the first time i tried to play i ened up accidentilay wiping the game and creating a fresh one instead of entering it.

the potential in this game is amazing, as evidenced by the massive fun and creativity its players exhibit.  but the barrier to entery was just too great for me.  a shame no one has updated it or made a spiritual successor with a better interface. 

shit, i'd play it in CURSES if the commands were just intuitive or consistant or documented.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 01:55:42 pm »

i think i'll try again and see if somebody can teach me

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 02:17:20 pm »

Ever since I installed this BYOND shit, my computer has been slower. Given the review over there, I'll uninstall the bloody thing.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 950