Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The only short story that has given me nightmares.  (Read 2294 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The only short story that has given me nightmares.
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 06:16:37 pm »

Perhaps things just weren't "there" yet, though clearly exposition has a long history in other formats.

heh.  this reminds me of a conversation i recently had with the better half, about the quality of writing around the late 1800s.  i hear part of the problem is that long stories sold better and authors were paid by the word.

one of my favorite gags from the Kingdom of Loathing game went something like "Short story long?  Anything by Dickens."

also, this:

http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/2286.html

of course, there are VERY maturly written greek plays out there, and a robust history of quality chinese literature.  part of the difference in comparing (vastly) earlier works is that they have descended from the oral tradition and have probably been revised and improved upon hundreds of times before being finally committed to paper.

regarding the HE story above, i really liked the disjointed poor-transition feel.  i thought it did a good job of creating the impression of a narrated journal and the long passage of time.  now the narrator is in one mood, then sudenly he has been traumatized by things and hes in another frame of mind.

but i see how others might not enjoy it.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 10:23:24 am »

And so comes the beginning of angst.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 07:23:59 pm »

This didn't give me nightmares or anything, but I've been thinking about it a bit too much since I've read it.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 10:13:04 pm »

That was a nice story, Im not some literary fanatic but I did find the part where they explained the history out loud pretty contrived. Otherwise I liked it, but
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 10:15:09 pm »

Every facet of that story seems conceived specifically to grate on the conscience.

I found it rather annoying.
Pages: 1 [2]