Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

The temple of MAGMA!

(1/4) > >>

lucusLoC:
hey, new poster here, long time lurker. thought i would log on an post my new front gate.

this is a magma powered destroy-whomever-I-hate type of front gate, from a design shamelessly stolen from elsewhere on the forums. it works really well actually.

the main principle is that magma is continuously circulated by the pumps, essentially making a "parting the red sea" type of magma wall. don't like someone on the bridge? simply turn off the magma pumps and the magma comes flooding in. i have it set up with an inner and an outer bridge system, so i can more carefully control where the magma goes. the outer bridges can be moved up to allow the magma to fall straight into the magma pit while still allowing the central bridges to be used. i have the entire system pressurized with pumps located at the volcano, so the magma fills the area quite rapidly. the two upper floodgates on z4 are for the outside magma falls. the system is of course empty at the moment to prevent lag, but it has been tested and it does work great. magma goes where i want it, and burns who i want. what more can you ask for?

more pics when i am felling less lazy, but the power comes from windmills, which are installed in a giant cathedral arch over the whole thing, giving it a grand temple feel.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)bottom level (z1) of the machine, main magma drainage. had to be expanded to allow for the high volume of magma that the system pushes through.

z2 more magma drainage

z3  main bridges, bars to keep out stupid dwarfs. also the dining hall for the barracks. going to add a well there later.

z4 pump level. needs a lot of power.

z5 first power collection level, it requires 2 full and one half full level of windmills per side to power the thing, so a total of 6 levels dedicated to powering the beast.

i am still working on the castle around the entrance, as well as a massive water fall tower, among other things. this is going to be a masive site, assuming i ever finish. . .

edit: forgot to spoiler the images, sorry :(

Jookia:
Unreal, man.

Jackrabbit:
That is pretty dwarven. Damn..........

NegaDwarf:
Dwarfy! Well done! Can't wait to see it in action.

zchris13:
I think my brain just imploded.  Keep it up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version