Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A good MUD?  (Read 3234 times)

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
A good MUD?
« on: May 15, 2009, 11:51:20 am »

Hey bay12, I've been looking for a good MUD to kill a bit of time with and so far i haven't found many that have caught my attention. The kind of MUD im looking for should have;

Crafting
Good RP
A respectably sized player base
Realistic combat
A good sized game world
And it should be pretty feature rich
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A good MUD?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 01:55:34 am »

Firan - Has just about everything you listed, but it's a MUX, I believe. Takes some getting used to.
Armageddon - Very, very steep learning curve here. Expect to die a lot.
The Inquisition - Smaller playerbase... 10-20 on average primetime. It's also pretty under construction, but it's good.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 06:24:03 am »

If you want a completely 400% NSFW one, there's HellMOO. Be warned, there's rape, suicide bombers, urine and fecal matter, nukes, various holy symbols and figures being desecrated; just about anything you could imagine being wrong is in there. A lot more that I won't even mention on a board like this.

Combat is fairly simple, but fun. I really don't know if it counts as good RP, though, depends on your definition of RP, lol.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 06:39:53 am »

Speaking of realistic combat, is there any MU* out there that does not rely on simple HPs? Like uses something similar to Dwarf Fortress or Unreal World?

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 08:39:51 am »

God Wars II has advanced combat, nothing else :P I don't recall a game that doesn't rely on HP. HellMOO has breaking arms, legs, getting concussions ala Fallout, but still uses HP. I think it's a codebase thing; a lot of the MUDs redoing old code don't change it.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 11:38:04 pm »

Hmm. If you will forgive me some self promotion  ;)

You might enjoy the MUD I imm at, mirrorsmud.net, 2222, especially if you have read any of the Wheel of Time books.

Actually, the player population is still relatively small at the moment, but we have a group of really dedicated people working towards an end of year fire-up (including a very experienced coder  ;D)
It's been in production for quite a number of years now (ten!), and things are finally starting to get the point of offering a good gaming experience.

Some features...

massive world size, cities are hundreds of rooms each (all unique)
RP is encouraged, PK is supported
three races, more to come
content is true to the books
some combat code that is really coming along
ditto channeling (magic)
crafting in the works

I'm hardly a non-biased source of opinion on this, but I think its got a lot to offer the player looking for something different. We aren't trying to actively build up the community just yet, but it is getting close to that point. We are a bit of an insane bunch when it comes to detail. Maybe DF players will appreciate that. hehe.

Anyway, put it in your bookmark and keep an eye on it and you won't be disappointed.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 10:51:19 am by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 12:24:15 am »

Yolan... link/port? :P

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 12:26:08 am »

Hey bay12, I've been looking for a good MUD to kill a bit of time with and so far i haven't found many that have caught my attention.
And with high expectations like those, you never will. ::)

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 04:12:44 am »

I was under the impression that all you had to do to RP was have a fertile imagination, understand what was socially acceptable and what was not when doing so, and of course following certain rules that go along with whatever game your playing that involves mentioned RPing.

It seems like MUDs are straightforward things, sure you'll die alot, but people die when your not GODLY, which is of course a general rule when playing games like that.

Just chalk it up to experience, and send in another new blood for the grinder for whatever game your playing.

Armageddon sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 11:06:31 am »

RP is like permanent death... it only works if everyone else is doing it :P

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 11:53:15 am »

I remember there was a DF mud under development, is it still going?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 12:48:23 pm »

Nope.

Oh and submitted a character to Armageddon. I expect it to get rejected, simply because I probably failed to understand some of the formatting, as I have NEVER played in a MUD before.

If it actually gets in, I'll make it a goal to have some form of hilarity ensue before I get killed randomly with impunity.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 12:50:30 pm by WorkerDrone »

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 01:23:55 pm »

I remember there was a DF mud under development, is it still going?

Yep.

It is coming along very well too.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 03:13:46 pm »

I was under the impression that all you had to do to RP was have a fertile imagination, understand what was socially acceptable and what was not when doing so, and of course following certain rules that go along with whatever game your playing that involves mentioned RPing.

It seems like MUDs are straightforward things, sure you'll die alot, but people die when your not GODLY, which is of course a general rule when playing games like that.

Just chalk it up to experience, and send in another new blood for the grinder for whatever game your playing.

Armageddon sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.
Wait, a MUD is an RP?

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 03:49:02 pm »

It heavily involves RP. But no it isn't. Theres game mechanics, and that'll be the tough part of getting used to.
Pages: [1] 2