Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evacuating the wounded  (Read 1140 times)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Evacuating the wounded
« on: December 20, 2009, 05:31:23 pm »

It'd be really nice if you could, in Dwarf Fortress mode, tell dwarven caravans from the wounded person's home town to take the wounded dwarf or she-dwarf with them. A permanently bed-ridden dwarf is no use to my fort, and may as well return home to live out his life in his home town, perhaps with the family he left behind, rather than some god-forsaken hole plagued by goblin sieges and poorly engineered drainage systems. He'd probably be better looked after there, too, if the city was more stable and populous than my fortress.

Guess it could depend on the situation, too, once we get that feature where you have more detailed backstory as to why you are at your fortress. For example, if you've been ordered to set up a military fortress at some bottleneck to fend off goblin hordes threatening your hometown, it'd make sense that the wounded were sent home.

--------
Edit: was gonna make a thread on how wounded/dead friendlies should be given rides by their wagons or allowed to use your beds and coffins as needed (coffins with friendlies in them would in turn be picked up by wagons and shipped home for a proper burial), but I figure this must've been considered by Toady and suggested a thousand times.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 05:45:50 pm by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
Re: Evacuating the wounded
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 06:42:32 pm »

A permanently bed-ridden dwarf is no use to my fort

It won't help permanently bed-ridden, but the indefinitely bed-ridden should be a lot less of a problem with the introduction of medical care in the next version.

Ralje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 06:44:10 pm »

I would imagine dwarfs being more stubborn about leaving the fortress, even if they pass out every few seconds  :P Might have less of that once prosthesis are invented.
I>"When god gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD" - Pt

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 07:04:35 pm »

This makes good sense. A frontier settlement is no place for invalids, I can certainly imagine a bedridden dwarf not wanting to stay and be a burden. It shouldn't be something under the player's control, that way dwarves can be made less likely to want to leave as the fort grows, or not at all if they have settled and have family on the local map.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 09:01:57 pm »

I'd simply leave it up to the player to designate wounded for evac. You know how there's "Prepare for slaughter" and "mark for melt" options. You could have an "e: Evacuate (N)" flag in the pref screen that you could enable, and the dwarves would haul (carry/support) the dwarf to the Trade Depot, where he'd be automatically put onto one of the wagons, perhaps along with a symbolic amount of dwarfbucks or items as pay/compensation. Dunno how such things were handled in the 1400's.

Maybe in a few seasons or years he could even come back as a migrant, if sufficiently recuperated.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 10:20:39 pm »

*wants to know if it is possible to make dwarfs able to be "prepares for slaughter"
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 11:13:19 pm »

It doesn't really make sense to exile people for being wounded, particularly in the late stages of the game when your fort is supposed to represent a giant important dwarven city. Where else should they be?

It works fine in the early stages, but that's only because a wounded dwarf might really want to be somewhere else.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 12:42:16 am »

This makes good sense. A frontier settlement is no place for invalids, I can certainly imagine a bedridden dwarf not wanting to stay and be a burden. It shouldn't be something under the player's control, that way dwarves can be made less likely to want to leave as the fort grows, or not at all if they have settled and have family on the local map.
This. I'd also like to see a wounded dwarf consider leaving if the fortress has a dabbling doc or something. Maybe based on how bad their injuries are. You'd let a normal doc set your arm, but you wouldn't want him trepanning you or anything. And taking their family with 'em. "Come on, Urist, I'm not letting this incompetent touch me."
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 09:42:07 am »

*wants to know if it is possible to make dwarfs able to be "prepares for slaughter"
remove can speak/ [INTELLIGENT]
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 10:05:23 am »

It doesn't really make sense to exile people for being wounded, particularly in the late stages of the game when your fort is supposed to represent a giant important dwarven city. Where else should they be?

It works fine in the early stages, but that's only because a wounded dwarf might really want to be somewhere else.
Agree with this. Evac should be for early-game only.