Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Story Seed: Apocalypse  (Read 745 times)

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
Story Seed: Apocalypse
« on: May 15, 2009, 07:22:04 pm »

I'd toss out another variation on succession games...

The trick is to start with as terrible and deadly a start location as possible on a freshly generated world.

You embark with anything you like in a normal point amount, but know that you will die.

When the fort is abandoned due to death, the game truly starts.

You re-embark the location, and try to live longer then the first one.  When you die, you pass the entire file set to the next person.

The only goal here is to live longer.

If you want to make sure the next person gets an even harder start then you had, nothing can stop you.

The harder the start point, the better this plays.

The more impossible the world, the better this plays.

A world where the megabeasts all lived and all the civilizations fell... a world of ruin and death...  a world that almost fails to pass world creation due to being almost unlivable...
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Story Seed: Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 08:10:20 pm »

Mods allowed?

If so, I suspect that Ender goblins, the Insane Difficulty mod, and other such things will become quite popular with these. There might need to be some limits imposed there.

If not, a whole variety of existing games have demonstrated that you can survive just about anywhere, with the possible exception of places that light your dwarves on fire or freeze them to death on embark.

Once the guidelines are a bit more established, though, I'd be happy to throw a world at this.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 08:35:39 pm »

I was thinking no mod to start, a vanilla roll-out, freshly downloaded and installed.

By all means give me ideas on guidelines.

How about, "as many seasons as possible within one week" as the benchmark, letting them saveskum back to the downloaded file they where given if they wipe out "too early" on the easier side.

While it's possible to survive anywhere, once established, the competitive nature here is such that you never want to give the person who reclaims on you too much of a head start.

If we try to find a micro size start, no plantlife, flat with aquifer at z-1, that isn't cold enough to freeze...

The first N forts will have to spend embark on stone.

Eventually somebody will take the stockpile and use it to punch through to the stone below... but then they've given the next player a place they can win from if they don't get things perfect in the rest of the week they have.

It sets up a double or nothing proposition that comes back to how skillful...
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 08:45:10 pm »

We kind of have a plan like this over in the Raptor Fortress thread.

Anyways, is the goal to live the longest or shortest?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 08:52:47 pm »

Longest, within the standard one week timeframe.

GENERATION 28: