Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 57

Author Topic: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B  (Read 173407 times)

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: DIG DEEPER [v1.3] NEW RELEASE!
« Reply #450 on: October 09, 2009, 10:07:43 am »

Heh, I just noticed something while going through the creature_other_natural file.

Tyrannosaurs are quadrupeds, for some reason!

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 09, 2009, 04:42:30 pm »

>:(
Somehow, on embark, I can never get battle axes... they're, like, just not there!
I'm using the DD mod with mayday over it, if it helps...
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

CautionToTheWind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 09, 2009, 06:20:02 pm »

The Orcs came. We had just recieved 23 immigrants raising our numbers to 36, but nothing could have prepared us for what was to come. A wall was ordered to be built in front of the door, but before it could be completed an Orc Axe Lord broke into the fortress, cutting the guarding wardog in half. The military were 10 recruits that had just started training their wrestling, and the Orcs were too many, too strong... All 36 dwarves were recruited and ordered to swarm the invading Orcs. A bloody battle happened where a few Orcs were harmed and 36 dwarves slaughtered. When the blood settled the Orcs looked around and the only living dwarf was a child. The child ran into the back corner of the wood stockpile but the Orcs chased and there was no exit. Nearly 20 Orcs ganged on the child, ending the game.

CautionToTheWind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 09, 2009, 06:21:59 pm »

(sometimes, the child's cries for help can still be heard on the empty tunnels of this fallen fortress)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 09, 2009, 06:27:48 pm »

I made a terrible mistake. I modded in the Snakemen, Frogmen, and Lizardmen as a single Civ and set them in the swamp areas.

When I ran worldgen THEY WIPED OUT THE ORCS. ALL THE ORCS. And most of the Elves, and Kobolds. It was terrifying to behold.

Next I'll try giving them Wyvern mounts. For great justice.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Koeteren

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
To Ronin
« Reply #455 on: October 11, 2009, 04:17:14 pm »

I've installed Dig Deeper and now that I finally have extra iron around I noticed that I can't forge plate mail - it has been replaced by breastplate.  Is this as intended?  If not where should I look for the cause?  I browsed the item_armor.txt file and the entry for plate armor remains there, unchanged as far as I can tell.  entity_default.txt has    [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_PLATEMAIL:COMMON] in addition to a tag for ITEM_ARMOR_CHESTPLATE.  I'm not sure where else to look.

Confirmed bug. Can't figure out what the problem is, however modding out breastplate entirely fixes it.

/K

eviscerator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 12, 2009, 02:51:31 pm »

I have a similar problem, but its that I can't produce breastplates.  ??  I did before, I haven't reinstalled, and I don't think I've done anything other than gen a new world.  I don't have lava forges yet, so maybe that's it.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To Ronin
« Reply #457 on: October 12, 2009, 03:45:17 pm »

I've installed Dig Deeper and now that I finally have extra iron around I noticed that I can't forge plate mail - it has been replaced by breastplate.  Is this as intended?  . . .

Confirmed bug. Can't figure out what the problem is, however modding out breastplate entirely fixes it.

/K

I'm not too clear on modding.  From what I can tell, just deleting item_armor_extended.txt would require a world regen.  But could I avoid the world regen and keep my current fortress if I merely change all the values for the breastplate so that they're exactly the same as plate mail?

Wikiwaka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 13, 2009, 02:37:04 pm »

I'm going to assume that installing this and playing it requires a world regen due to the mineral changes?  I was hoping to put it on top of my existing vanilla fortress (Which has yet to be accosted by gobbos), and make life a little more...interesting.  How brutal are the orcs?

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 14, 2009, 04:37:54 am »

How brütal are the Orcs? "I'Z AT UR MAP EDGE EATIN UR MIGRNTZ"
Here's some quotes from this very thread... and I only went back to page 17 or so.

CautionToTheWind: The Orcs came. (...) All 36 dwarves were recruited and ordered to swarm the invading Orcs. (...) a few Orcs were harmed and 36 dwarves slaughtered.

AbuDhabi: Jesus Kwisatz Haderach. This mod really is FUN. I've been destroyed six times by the orcs. Once, they came in the first Autumn. Usually, they come later, but after the first wave, they are not defeatable by any trick I know... that I've tried so far. Perhaps magma rushing them will work. Perhaps the only option is to shut off all contact with the outside world, and train the champions to demi-gods clad in masterful armour.

Grendus: For the record, I have an army of 20 soldiers, and that's barely enough to fight off the orcs. Two [soldiers] with pitiful weapons were enough to kill the goblins.

RebelZhouYuWu: Drafting all my dwarves, I charged the orcs, hoping my legendary miner could turn the odds.  It ended in a massacre.  My dwarves had not harmed a single orc.

Sheb: I couldn't help but think of the world "gangbang" when watching 15 Orcs hacking at my last, unconscious dwarf.

Angellus: Hmmm, I'm digging less deep due to being murdered all the time XD  Great mod!

CautionToTheWind: Urist McUrist cancels rest: Interrupted by Orc Axe Lord.

Shiv: I Dug Deeper once, and it kicked my ass for several embarks.  Kept getting orc sieges with only 7 dwarves

Archgaden: With the caravan guards wiped out and about 15 orcs charging, I pulled my marksdwarves back to my wrestlers to engage the charging orcs.  What ensued was a terrible brawl.  My marksdwarves got off a few more shots before being stuck in the melee.  Many of the orcs ran off to chase civilian dwarves and things got hairy.  It took quite a while for my military to finish off the [Orcs], but they did.  I ended up with only 3 of my soldiers left alive, and lost a handful of civilians (3 or 4).

waldo: i could never hold the fort for over a year because orcs would always siege twice a year minimum. so the first try i died horribly, seriously, it was pitiful, maybe only 1 or two marksdwarfs and nothing to section off my fort from the edge of the map. i ended up dying in the winter.

n.dravid: I built a ton of cage and stone-falls to stop a recent orc siege. Had no idea they had [trAPAVOID]. Forty five dwarves die fast to Super-Orcishly Tough Pikemen...

Archgaden: The caravan suffered 100% casualties, and my military struck down to less than half of its numbers.  I suffered about 10% civilian losses as a few orcs managed to make it into the fort (...)  Sieges are keeping me shut in for most of the year now.

Pyrophoricity: I'm into my third year of a Dig Deeper Fort, Orcs rolled up and were perilously close to wiping everyone out

Phazer: [Orcs have] NoPain,NoFear. as a summary: they wont back down even if you kill half of them in front of another group, goblins would have fled but orcs just mindlessly charge.

Lyrax: I really do like this mod.  However, I think you went a little overboard on the orcs.  Trapavoid?  Really?  I don't think you're giving dwarven ingenuity enough credit, here.  And they show up waaay before your fortress has anything to loot.  Why, I had one siege show up before my first dwarven caravan!  This took me by surprise, and needless to say they merrily slaughtered all my dwarves.  But you made me rethink all my strategies with this mod, and you've made me lose.

The13thRonin: The great thing about the orcs is that every time you beat them they will regroup and come at you even harder next season. Sometimes you will be able to pick them off using ditches and archers but most of the time they will keep you inside, stuffing up your farming endeavors, preventing supplies from getting to you and killing migrants

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 14, 2009, 11:01:07 pm »

Just had my first visit from an ancient vampire. A bunch of orcs spawned on top of him. He wiped out about half of the orcs before they overwhelmed him. An underwhelming first appearance of a megabeast, if I do say so myself.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 15, 2009, 04:25:06 am »

Just had my first visit from an ancient vampire. A bunch of orcs spawned on top of him. He wiped out about half of the orcs before they overwhelmed him. An underwhelming first appearance of a megabeast, if I do say so myself.

I'll bolster them but it was probably just bad luck that he lost. Chances are he got pierced through the heart by a bolt or an arrow. The Ancient Vampires can fly and use pyrotechnics. Another way they can die is if a wing is pierced they fall to the ground and get swarmed by the hordes of orcs.

The orcs are a threat in their own right...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 15, 2009, 06:43:35 am »

Agreed. I actually think the vampire would have been dangerous, as my soldiers are only two or three times stronger than orcs are (multi-legendary hammerdwarves in masterwork armor have that tendency). A lot of what got him is my map is so dry that much of the grass hasn't even grown back after the last orc siege, so he didn't even light the orcs on fire. After that they swarmed him, 15 orcs will weaken pretty much anything.

I'm iffy on using fire for megabeasts though. Right now fire is so imbalanced as a weapon due to poor dwarf AI. They won't stop drop and roll, nor will they actively seek to throw themselves into water. You have to manually immerse them to stop the fire, which basically makes it a deathblow unless you're already prepared. I had to savescum a previous time after a green dragon lit one of my marksdwarves on fire and he proceeded to go for a drink, lighting the entrance to my fortress and wood stockpile on his way. Dwarf fire AI is god awful.

Honestly, megabeasts are underwhelming in general in fortress mode. As you said, the orcs are a threat in their own right, any fortress capable of surviving multiple sieges of the greenskins will be a fairly strong military, and as much of an advantage as size is, numbers play an equally significant role.

As a side note, I've only seen one group of orc bowmen, the vampire had his left eye hacked out with an axe and then wrestlers snapped both of his arms and a wing before my dwarves smashed him. He was just overwhelmed, I honestly would expect nothing less from being swarmed by 15 orcs.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #463 on: October 15, 2009, 02:07:24 pm »

Orcs ended my first Dig Deeper fortress.  I didn't realize Dig Deeper Orcs could open locked doors.  Urist McDwarf cancels live:  Interrupted by Orc

My current (second) Dig Deeper fortress has an elaborate, overcomplicated system of water-powered bridges, metal floodgates and pits.  It usually manages to destroy any invader before they can get inside.  Cheesy I know, but I'm building a megaproject and don't want to have to dedicate half my population to the military.  Even so nearly all of the deaths I've had in the fort have been due to orcs and my failure to appreciate how dangerous elite orc archers can be when taking target-or-opportunity potshots at dwarves atop the walls or deep in the invader trash collection pits.  I seriously underestimated how far they can shoot.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 15, 2009, 04:24:11 pm »

I found something in the raws;

ore of mercury, powdered gives vermilion dye
[MATGLOSS_STONE:CINNABAR]
[NAME:cinnabar][COLOR:4:7:1][TILE:156]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SHALE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:QUARTZITE:VEIN:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']

Is this from Dig Deeper or vanilla Dwarf Fortress?
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 57