Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Durability tag in raw?  (Read 1477 times)

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
Durability tag in raw?
« on: May 16, 2009, 09:48:50 pm »

I've checked the archives, it's come through in a suggestion once, and then it was agreed with...

Metal cloth and the results to last longer or be indestructable.

But I'm going to add to it, with the plans of wresteling to do clothing damage, how about metal cloth to prevent clothing damage of all types, not just wear?

There's also the possibility that objects could get a durability number, and a check would have to be made against that to become damaged one step (further).

This gives obsidian swords a chance to break very easily, bone bolts to shatter when they hit something more often then iron bolts, and for masterwork or artifacts to get bonuses to these numbers?

Also to slip in the idea that if clothing sets don't happen, could artifact clothing/armor have a chance to be left + right sock?  Or "set of gauntlets"?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:38:03 pm by Nightwind »
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metalic Clothing
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 01:24:09 am »

You can do this with adamantine already.  (Although I'm not sure how much of a defensive bonus you get -- I assume you still get the 300% defense boost from using adamantine, though, which certainly beats the 50% defense from anything you can usually make clothes from.)  An adamantine coat provides nearly as much defense as steel chainmail of the same quality, for instance, while being lightweight and wearable by anyone.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 02:35:12 am »

You can do this with adamantine already.

While you can make metal clothing from adamantine, it wears down at the same rate as all other clothing, and is thus a terrible use of strands.  I avoided using the word until now to prevent HFS spoilers.

The maximum defense for an adventure mode dwarf would involve clothing of adamantine, topped with leather, the adamantine chain, then adamantine plate.  Then all 15 possible cloaks in adamantine.  Crazy but true trivia.

But what I'm suggesting is a modification of the existing metal cloth clothing.

I'll list them again more clearly.

1.  Metal cloth clothing to be more durable.
2.  Metal cloth clothing not being able to be ripped by wrestling sparring or combat.
3a.  Durability number implemented into the raws for all base materials.
3b.  Masterwork or Artifact items gaining a bonus to this number.

If number three is used it would be checked before something is damaged.  Chunks and fish could have a very low number causing them to spoil quickly.  Dragon hide a higher number causing it to spoil slower as raw hide waiting to be tanned.  Low quality animals with bad suitability get low numbers here.  The plan to make obsidian weapons break gives this a reason to exist, and expanding it to all objects as a raw entry makes it a fast way to be changed if wanted.

There's a throw away comment at the end about artifacts for l/r positions be in matching sets, but that's as trivial to me as it was tacked onto the end, like this.
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 04:02:12 am »

It should be noted that metal cloth doesn't exist in real life.

In metal armor and clothing would still wear down slowly due to rust, though regular polishing should be able to prevent this.

Adamantine items, being indestructible, should not wear down in any way.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 05:06:26 am »

You can do this with adamantine already.

While you can make metal clothing from adamantine, it wears down at the same rate as all other clothing, and is thus a terrible use of strands.  I avoided using the word until now to prevent HFS spoilers.

The maximum defense for an adventure mode dwarf would involve clothing of adamantine, topped with leather, the adamantine chain, then adamantine plate.  Then all 15 possible cloaks in adamantine.  Crazy but true trivia.

But what I'm suggesting is a modification of the existing metal cloth clothing.
Oh.  I thought you were suggesting new ways of making metal clothing out of, like, steel or something.  Which would not be very wearable.

Just put "HFS SPOILERS BELOW" if you really want to spoil people...  although honestly, I've never gotten why people are so determined to hide these things.  Or you can use spoiler tags, for, say, saying things like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 05:28:22 am »

Sorry for being confusing.

So, on the subject, what do you think of the main addition of my post, the concept of a durability check in the game, and durability as a universal item property.

This also dovetails nicely to the way the new damage system has been updated for living things.
GENERATION 28:

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 08:01:38 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well obviously, if people don't know it's there, they will get a kick out of finding it for themselves, but being told about it will spoil that for them.

Adamantine has 500% bonuses, not 300%, by the way.  And it definitely shouldn't wear, although that has been suggested before.  Collecting the ideas in one spot isn't a bad idea either, of course.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 08:03:18 am by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 09:44:09 am »

Good luck finding HFS by accident these days. The spoiler had some merit back in the day when it was inevitable

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 04:30:57 pm »

Could we get around to the main item of discussion, the durability element added to raws?
GENERATION 28:

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
Re: Durability tag in raw?
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 10:32:40 pm »

I believe that'll be a side-effect of the next update.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.