Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Resize Stockpile  (Read 5221 times)

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Resize Stockpile
« on: January 10, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »

We very carefully set the options on our stockpiles.  It would be nice if we expand the space a stockpile could occupy if we could re-size the stockpile instead of having to erase it, redraw it, then reconfigure it.

It would be even cooler if we could expand a stockpile in sections so we had precise control over the area it occupies, i.e. an irregular space.  There are ways to get contiguous non-rectangular stockpiles, though, so what I really really want is a way to expand a stockpile.

[ January 10, 2008: Message edited by: Forumsdwarf ]

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Resize Stockpile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

Seconded!
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 07:18:00 pm »

Thirded!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 07:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Forumsdwarf:
<STRONG>It would be even cooler if we could expand a stockpile in sections so we had precise control over the area it occupies, i.e. an irregular space.  There are ways to get contiguous non-rectangular stockpiles, though, so what I really really want is a way to expand a stockpile.</STRONG>

Along these lines, something I'd find sufficient most of the time would be a method of copying the settings from another stockpile.  Concrete suggestion: 'q', select my stockpile A, 'C' to copy settings, select stockpile B, now stockpile A's settings are overwritten by stockpile B's settings.  No need to link A and B in any way -- I envision this to be a one-time thing (partly because it's probably easier that way, partly because then we can make the two stockpiles diverge in the details).

Then, to expand a stockpile, you make a 1x1 stockpile somewhere else, copy the settings, remove your old stockpile, make a new one, copy from the 1x1, remove the 1x1.  A bit fiddly, but easier than the current mode.  To get non-rectangular stockpiles, know that you can remove parts of a stockpile.  It doesn't even have to be contiguous.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 08:46:00 pm »

Fourthed.

I definitely need this, erasing and reconfiguring stockpiles only to realize I have to add all the "take from"s again sucks.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 10:00:00 pm »

yeah, I think the copy stockpile setting is a more useful thing in the long run.  if we have this, can work around resizing as we can just "copy" the original settings, delete the old SP, create a new SP and "paste" the settings in.  Could be a little more troublesome, but we can also paste the settings to more than one stockpiles which will be useful, particularly if the settings can be kept persistent.

Until Toady puts that in, I'm thinking that maybe the memhackers can help to provide a tool to copy and paste settings (even keeping the settings persistent out of game).

Any memhackers out there knows how the stockpile structure is organized?

[ January 10, 2008: Message edited by: sphr ]

bz-mof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 11:44:00 am »

I like this idea, recreating stockpiles is sooo uncomfortable...

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 02:34:00 am »

I would love to see both a "copy settings from" and a "resize" option in the stockpile's q menu.  They solve similar problems and there's some overlap, but they're both independently useful enough that I don't think we need to quibble about which is better!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 06:46:00 pm »

In terms of resizing, it would work just as well if an adjacent stockpile of same type simply auto-merges with the first one.
Allows for resizing and non-rectangular stockpiles with one easy bit of code!
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 11:18:53 am »

Necroing this thread.  I was about to start the exact same one, but found this ancient relic, so I'll save myself some time by bumping it up.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 09:28:17 pm »

CONGRATULATIONS!! Your search-fu is strong!

I particularly like the idea on getting a memory hack tool to do this, If it could search DF for all stockpiles and their take-from references it could prove invaluable as it could provide some real interface.  I've never even used take-from orders as their way too hard to use as they are now.  Are their any memory hackers out their interested in trying to do this?

Also the best way to re-size stockpiles non-rectangular would be to select a 're-size manually' option at which point the stockpile area starts to blink green in the same way as the Caravan-access menu dose.  In this state clicking on a tile flips if from being in the stockpile too out of it and visa versa.  now you mouse-paint the stockpile and when your done press x.  A resizing option that uses more traditional rectangles could also be included for situations ware that is easier.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 10:39:59 pm by Impaler[WrG] »
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 11:05:24 pm »

That would be really nice. An alternative implementation would be to make a new Copy Settings command that integrates with the existing Custom Stockpile command. Basically it would work like an "eyedropper" tool in paint programs.
Akur Akir Akam!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 01:09:14 pm »

Or you could save a stockpile profile. When you designate a new stockpile with the profile it asks a series of questions to determine if you want to keep each "take from" connection in the new stockpile.

And if you create a stockpile adjacent to an existing one it could ask which one of the adjacent ones you want to merge it with, or create a separate one. When you merge the new stockpile zone takes on the attributes of the existing one.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 04:22:29 pm »

RESIZE STOCKPILE!!! YES!!!

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 05:43:34 am »

One of the cool things about stockpiles is that a single one can be disconnected, if there could just be a way of designating an area to add for an existing stockpile, it would be perfect. It probably wouldn't take much to have a single stockpile spanning multiple z levels, not that I can think of a use for that...
Pages: [1] 2