Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2338224 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #12885 on: October 10, 2011, 05:22:48 pm »

I see many screenshots with a minimap in the top right hand corner; is this a feature of Buildcraft or some other related mod?
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12886 on: October 10, 2011, 05:23:24 pm »

Minimap mod probably?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #12887 on: October 10, 2011, 05:28:52 pm »

Minimap mod probably?
No, that doesn't sound right...
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12888 on: October 10, 2011, 05:36:01 pm »

I see many screenshots with a minimap in the top right hand corner; is this a feature of Buildcraft or some other related mod?

If you are referring to the screenshot by Briggsy16 then it is a different mod. Specifically Rei's Minimap Mod.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12889 on: October 10, 2011, 05:58:45 pm »

I hit upon a weird landscape feature in one of my most recent worlds. Essentially, there is a pattern sticking out of the ground and extending into the sky. At the bottom of each "spire" is bedrock, then a couple blocks of iron ore, and the rest is stone. There are a couple of "bridges" between each spire, and each spire starts higher above ground.

And yes, the ground underneath each spire is missing, and you can look straight into the void.
I'll get a screenshot up when I have the chance. Anyone see something like this before?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #12890 on: October 10, 2011, 06:29:58 pm »

You can also use Task Manager and set the javaw.exe process's priority to High (if you're running Windows). That might give you a boost.

SUCCESS!

Partially.

The mod alone was only able to improve my FPS from "TIME SKIP" to "At least I can look around a bit".

However, in conjunction with GameBooster v3 AND setting the priority of Java to "high", I dealt with the framerate!

Sorta. On my singleplayer "AMERICA" seed, it still lags like mad for some reason. But on the server I usually go to, my framerate is entirely reasonable, about what I would expect from my desktop on a very bad day (which is to say, a touch of problems here and there).

Considering I am doing this on a laptop that doesn't even have a damn disk drive, I'm going to be happy and call it a day.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12891 on: October 10, 2011, 06:36:50 pm »

SP2 is correct, however I am just using the Technic Mod Pack :)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12892 on: October 10, 2011, 06:47:27 pm »

Does the gold pipes require an engine to boost items?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12893 on: October 10, 2011, 06:49:57 pm »

Does the gold pipes require an engine to boost items?
No, just a redstone current. I usually just drop a lever next to them.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12894 on: October 10, 2011, 07:05:33 pm »

I hit upon a weird landscape feature in one of my most recent worlds. Essentially, there is a pattern sticking out of the ground and extending into the sky. At the bottom of each "spire" is bedrock, then a couple blocks of iron ore, and the rest is stone. There are a couple of "bridges" between each spire, and each spire starts higher above ground.

And yes, the ground underneath each spire is missing, and you can look straight into the void.
I'll get a screenshot up when I have the chance. Anyone see something like this before?

Pictures. Now.

Maybe a seed too, but it's hard to say if that'll reproduce it.
I'll get pics when I can. Sadly, the only places I can really play Minecraft are in my database class (Mondays and Wednesdays) and on my friend's computer. My computer hasn't been able to play since the 1.8 update, presumably due to memory problems.

I can give you the seed, or at least what I typed in myself: SafariSam
(it's my Minecraft account name)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12895 on: October 10, 2011, 07:21:35 pm »

The latest official one. 1.81, IIRC.

Let's see...I think you spawn on top of a small hill surrounded by (very) deep rivers. If you turn around and start heading southwest, that should be the general direction.
If your fog distance is high enough, you may be able to see them in the sky from quite a ways. It's in the middle of some grassy plains.
Just be careful; there are quite a few pits in the area that you might stumble into.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12896 on: October 10, 2011, 08:07:25 pm »

Redstone engines take a while to warm up. Once they flash orange/red they are at full speed. That is all it means. Redstone engines do not explode or set fire.
I would like it if people stopped spreading this misinformed crap.
They don't generate enough energy to overpower the full-speed pulses on their own.
That's the only reason they don't explode.
Attach another engine to that one and it sure as hell CAN explode.

The coloration is a direct representation of the currently stored energy over their maximum energy storage.
They explode if that figure goes over 1.  No exceptions.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12897 on: October 10, 2011, 08:16:24 pm »

They don't generate enough energy to overpower the full-speed pulses on their own.
Bit hostile aren't you? A redstone engine running on its own will not explode. It runs faster and faster as it heats up. For the purpose to which I was replying, attaching a single redstone engine to a wooden pipe, they are entirely safe. I have left them running for months in-game with no issues. I was commenting on the picture the other person posted, not some theoretical daisy chain of engines.

It is nice to know that if you do something like chaining a bunch of redstone engines to each other they will explode, I've never tried that because it seems stupid.

I've also never had a steam engine on its own explode, even when I loaded it with a full stack of coal and left it for days.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12898 on: October 10, 2011, 08:24:15 pm »

Bit hostile aren't you? A redstone engine running on its own will not explode. It runs faster and faster as it heats up. For the purpose to which I was replying, attaching a single redstone engine to a wooden pipe, they are entirely safe. I have left them running for months in-game with no issues. I was commenting on the picture the other person posted, not some theoretical daisy chain of engines.

It is nice to know that if you do something like chaining a bunch of redstone engines to each other they will explode, I've never tried that because it seems stupid.

I've also never had a steam engine on its own explode, even when I loaded it with a full stack of coal and left it for days.
I'm a bit hostile to it now, yes, because the number of times I've had to SAY that is well over a hundred now.
It helps that I'm a "hostile" person :V
The explosion is, as I said, the penultimate of the engines storing energy.
Give it nonstop work, sure, it won't explode unless you're pumping energy INTO it from something else.
If the machine it's attached to stops having things to do, or you haven't attached it to a machine, you can bet your ass it'll explode if you leave it going. (E: Should specify -- redstone engines don't on their own, they naturally dissipate more energy through the piston movement than they generate in the same amount of time)
The new ability to pump water into engines that came with 2.2.x is a dissipation mechanism as far as I know; if you use it when it's not appropriate (the engine isn't being able to store anything), it'll probably sap the engine's productivity.  That said, I don't have the updated documentation on that, so I could well be wrong.

The whole point is that the statement I was rejecting was made far too broad.  Redstone engines CAN and DO explode.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:28:44 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

pjwaffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12899 on: October 10, 2011, 09:03:12 pm »

The latest official one. 1.81, IIRC.

Let's see...I think you spawn on top of a small hill surrounded by (very) deep rivers. If you turn around and start heading southwest, that should be the general direction.
If your fog distance is high enough, you may be able to see them in the sky from quite a ways. It's in the middle of some grassy plains.
Just be careful; there are quite a few pits in the area that you might stumble into.

Just posted it and screens on MCforums and HackForums (minecraft section)

Regards,
Pjwaffle

PS. I gave you credit!
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1380