Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1259 1260 [1261] 1262 1263 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2338211 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18900 on: September 28, 2014, 11:26:26 am »

Village locations are tied to the seed, but not their buildings. Genning a new world will alter the buildings.
I KNOW THAT... Gee not the point I was asking help to understand. What I don't understand is why the buildings will NOT Alter each regen...
Edit: Sorry realised I didn't fully explain...
When I regen a world, I keep getting the same building even after like 10 regens. This is what is irritating me...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 11:28:56 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18901 on: September 28, 2014, 12:11:53 pm »

...when I regen the world the village buildings are not the same. I regenned after a break and the buildings changed again...

I'm confused. You said the buildings were changing each regen, which is what they are supposed to do. Is that just a typo?

If they're not changing, then it's probably just random chance. I've never seen a village stay the same twice on the same seed, though sometimes they are quite similar.

I'm totally hooked on Agrarian Skies now. I've gotten myself to a just-barely-stable situation. On easy mode, I have some mob farms a ways from my house: I built three small rooms and closed them off so it's dark inside, then I go to the other side of the map, do a few things, then go back. I have them set up so I can kill stuff but it can't hit me. This is primarily to get zombie flesh for compost and bones for bone meal. I stick any flesh in the compost barrel, then take the bone meal to my tiny farm and fertilize the same plant as much as possible, harvesting any wheat when I can. If I have enough wheat, I then make a loaf of bread. Then I head back to the mob farms and continue.

With this method, I'm just barely staying alive. I got down to 1 hunger point once, just barely grabbed something to eat in time. Whenever I get more dirt from the compost, I use it to expand the farm. My hope is that eventually there will be enough wheat growing that I won't have to expand the farm any more, and can instead start sifting the composted dirt. I want to get some iron so I can make a bucket and expand the water (since the 2x2 square there is right now isn't really enough to fish), but I know that's a long and complicated process.

I have 2 trees growing at all times as well, but of course they take ages to grow. Now that I understand better how this all works, I wish I hadn't blown all my bone meal on trees at the start. Should have focused on food first. I also need to get more mob farms built, but right now I don't have the time, since I constantly have to try to keep myself above starving-level.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18902 on: September 28, 2014, 12:20:12 pm »

I think the problem might be that the same two buildings end up making up the entire village each time, so there's no building diversity and therefore no villager diversity.
Nothing important here, move along.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18903 on: September 28, 2014, 12:21:20 pm »

...when I regen the world the village buildings are not the same. I regenned after a break and the buildings changed again...

I'm confused. You said the buildings were changing each regen, which is what they are supposed to do. Is that just a typo?

If they're not changing, then it's probably just random chance. I've never seen a village stay the same twice on the same seed, though sometimes they are quite similar.
Ok, step by step explain...
1st time through I got a certain set of village things but then decided that I wanted to expand on it with a mod, this mod is Minecraft Comes Alive. The problem is that the village buildings didn't give me vanilla NPCs which the MCA needs, so I regenned. This time I got 2 Mod Village, so I tried to Regen but no matter what, I always got the same 2 Mod Village buildings. I try and try but every regen is the same buildings...

I think I have it down though, gotta close the launcher compleatly between regens by the looks of things, annoyingly so far all I have gotten is Mod Village buildings or MCA Male characters, making it useless seen as I need a Female Character.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18904 on: September 28, 2014, 12:40:24 pm »

Oh! Word of advice for Agrarian Skies: Type /gamerule mobGriefing False and /gamerule keepInventory True at the start. Saves a bunch of anguish.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18905 on: September 28, 2014, 01:32:50 pm »

Oh, good idea. I had already turned mob griefing off, but I didn't think to change inventory. Thanks!

Also, does anyone have any tips on creating a sustainable food source? I nearly just died because skeletons weren't spawning (creepers creepers creepers). I have the little 2x2 area for fishing but I can't usually get the damn thing in the water. Trees sometimes give apples but they grow too slow.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18906 on: September 28, 2014, 01:42:53 pm »

You can catch and cook fish. And when you get a mob spawner up, you can make zombie jerky by hanging rotten flesh on a drying rack.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18907 on: September 28, 2014, 01:47:04 pm »

Also, get a single bit of bone meal, make some smooth stone and a bowl, and you can make a watering can, which acts like bone meal.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18908 on: September 28, 2014, 02:04:02 pm »

Also, get a single bit of bone meal, make some smooth stone and a bowl, and you can make a watering can, which acts like bone meal.

That is awesome. I did not know about that. Making immediately.

I can't really fish. Whenever I try to fish, I can't get the hook to land in the water. I spent ages trying but never caught anything. It just doesn't want to land in that tiny puddle.

EDIT: Oh, crap, that watering can takes 4 smooth stone. That's gonna be a while.

Mailo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18909 on: September 28, 2014, 02:06:20 pm »

I can't really fish. Whenever I try to fish, I can't get the hook to land in the water. I spent ages trying but never caught anything. It just doesn't want to land in that tiny puddle.
Try standing in the puddle and looking straight up when you launch the hook, that should work.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18910 on: September 28, 2014, 02:08:37 pm »

One other useful early game hint for Agrarian Skies: Bones can be turned into three Stock, with... A mixing bowl? I can't recall what tools you need exactly, but I think it doesn't take too much, and it's a GREAT way to get food early on.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18911 on: September 28, 2014, 02:18:48 pm »

You need a pot for that, which takes 4 iron ingots. I'm still trying to get enough cobblestone to make a furnace without starving to death, so I think that's a little out of my reach.

I'll try fishing straight up, thanks. I'm starting to do a little better now, though. Plenty of wheat growing, and enough loaves of bread that I can relax a bit. Now I can spend some of my time working towards dirt/stone/etc.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18912 on: September 28, 2014, 02:36:19 pm »

Got my wither skeleton farm set up, now have 10+ nether stars even after using them for various and sundry things. I dunno what to do with them all. I'm using the Yogscast Complete pack, which has essentially every mod on Earth (and one on the moon), and there's still hardly anything to do with nether stars.
Hover over them in inventory, press "U", and make all the things. Then advance through Thaumcraft and make all the things you can with them. If you have any left over, melt them down in the alchemical furnace for essentia.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18913 on: September 28, 2014, 02:55:57 pm »

Oh man, the casting straight up thing worked perfectly. I never would have thought of that. Now I have loads of fish, and it turns out I can even compost them. I've got 4 cobblestone now. 4 more and I can make a furnace, and then I can even cook these fish! And also stone, and make some sweet tools. I also have one broken iron ore. Need three more of those to make a single ingot, I believe, but I'm working on it.

I really like all this stuff. It'd be a lot more fun if the hunger loss was turned down just a little bit, though. I wasted about three hours of my day today just trying to break even. There's a point where it stops being fun, especially since I know how many more interesting things there are to do. Stupid me and my refusal to cheat...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18914 on: September 28, 2014, 03:02:53 pm »

Got my wither skeleton farm set up, now have 10+ nether stars even after using them for various and sundry things. I dunno what to do with them all. I'm using the Yogscast Complete pack, which has essentially every mod on Earth (and one on the moon), and there's still hardly anything to do with nether stars.
Hover over them in inventory, press "U", and make all the things. Then advance through Thaumcraft and make all the things you can with them. If you have any left over, melt them down in the alchemical furnace for essentia.
IIRC the Yogscast pack also has Nether Star Blocks (can't remember the mad that adds them), but build a castle out of those.

Also, Sappho: You can turn six cobblestone into slabs and make a slab furnace. They work the same as a regular one.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 03:04:32 pm by InsanityIncarnate »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 1259 1260 [1261] 1262 1263 ... 1380