Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1297 1298 [1299] 1300 1301 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2339363 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19470 on: August 09, 2015, 09:30:57 pm »

So, to test my claims that Survival sucks now, I made a new world. I'll admit, so far most of my complaints aren't really impacting anything, but now I have another "they changed it :(" gripe: The original gameplay that I recalled so nostalgically seems to be really easy now.

In my first alpha world it took days to find diamonds, and even iron had to be rationed and saved up for some applications; when levels were first introduced, they took a fair bit of grinding. I've played this new world for less than four hours and already have 22 levels (after dying from a fall once, too), multiple diamond tools, and stacks on stacks of iron and coal.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19471 on: August 09, 2015, 09:49:32 pm »

For as long as the game's been out, and especially since they've increased the build limit, I've wanted to see things like real mountains and valleys that are actually impressive in size.

Have you tried the amplified world type?
TBH the only time I have felt that I was wandering through real mountains and valleys is on civcraft. There's an area in the north where the height just keeps increasing for kilometers until you find the ground is at 200 and the mountains hit sky level.   
The extreme cliff areas are totally different to anything I've seen on other worlds too, very vertical.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19472 on: August 10, 2015, 04:48:55 am »

So, to test my claims that Survival sucks now, I made a new world. I'll admit, so far most of my complaints aren't really impacting anything, but now I have another "they changed it :(" gripe: The original gameplay that I recalled so nostalgically seems to be really easy now.

In my first alpha world it took days to find diamonds, and even iron had to be rationed and saved up for some applications; when levels were first introduced, they took a fair bit of grinding. I've played this new world for less than four hours and already have 22 levels (after dying from a fall once, too), multiple diamond tools, and stacks on stacks of iron and coal.
im fairly sure thats all in your mind, because i think diamonds were made /rarer/

the game gets much easier once you realize that the optimal strategy is just to dig down to level 16 the moment you get an iron pick.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19473 on: August 10, 2015, 06:52:57 am »

Pretty sure diamonds were rarer in Alpha than they are now? It's currently one node per chunk, I seem to recall alpha was one every eight chunks or something silly.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19474 on: August 10, 2015, 09:07:15 am »

Pretty sure diamonds were rarer in Alpha than they are now? It's currently one node per chunk, I seem to recall alpha was one every eight chunks or something silly.
Yeah, I can near-objectively say that all minerals are more common, simply because they're generated more, than they were in the early game. I think they increased the maximum size of veins too, but that's harder to prove.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19475 on: August 10, 2015, 09:53:31 am »

I know they got rarer at some point in development (beta I think). You also had that bug where the quarters of the map (centred on 0,0) had different occurrence levels.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19476 on: August 10, 2015, 10:17:52 am »

I'd just like to reiterate that I wish players who were mainly creative had a better way to showcase their creations.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19477 on: August 10, 2015, 03:41:16 pm »

Huh, I thought they reduced diamond rate at some point.

Anyway, I remember that clay used to be rarer than diamond :p

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19478 on: August 10, 2015, 04:00:38 pm »

"My house has a roof made from diamond blocks!"
"Eh, whatever."
"My house has a roof made from brick stairs!"
"RICHEST MAN ALIVE!"
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19479 on: August 10, 2015, 04:16:04 pm »

As far as I am aware, it used to be particularly low because of unintended features, then they "fixed" it, and then had to decrease the rate to not make them too common. Or something like that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19480 on: August 10, 2015, 06:22:09 pm »

"My house has a roof made from diamond blocks!"
"Eh, whatever."
"My house has a roof made from brick stairs!"
"RICHEST MAN ALIVE!"
Yeah, considering stairs also used to be really expensive. IIRC each six-block pattern originally only made one stair, and they only returned one original block on breaking.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19481 on: August 10, 2015, 06:59:21 pm »

Can't speak much to overall rarity, but I have noticed that individual servers seem to have leanings. I've played on servers where specific resources, iron, redstone, diamonds, etc. seem more or less common than other servers. Might just be a quirk of the RNG.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19482 on: August 10, 2015, 07:07:28 pm »

There are plenty of easy ways to mess with the ore densities. The RNG can play a big part, as well, as ores are placed before caves are and can be wiped out by a cave system, or might just not spawn at all because of randomness rolls.
Nothing important here, move along.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19483 on: August 10, 2015, 08:01:37 pm »

As far as I am aware, it used to be particularly low because of unintended features, then they "fixed" it, and then had to decrease the rate to not make them too common. Or something like that.

Yeah. I remember noticing a bug like this way back in alpha. Ore generation was changing based on quadrant of the map. Only one quadrant had normal ore gen. The two adjacent quadrants had slightly less ore generation, but a little better than normal. The final quadrant had significantly reduced ore generation.

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19484 on: August 10, 2015, 08:07:54 pm »

one of the first maps I genned years ago started in a valley between several cliffs that went u, to the old height limit.  under the spawn area was a cave that went pretty deep right off the bat as well,  covered by some sand.  think this map is on a hard drive somewhere

one thing I like about the modded servers is the fact that mountains actually exist up to the current height limit, so much more impressive than the current ones.  though I dont play much due to performance and most of the builds I want to do take a long time to gather resources and a longer time to get looking good.
Pages: 1 ... 1297 1298 [1299] 1300 1301 ... 1380