Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1299 1300 [1301] 1302 1303 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2324155 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19500 on: August 21, 2015, 05:17:59 am »

Sounds interesting. I might give it a try this weekend.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19501 on: August 21, 2015, 07:59:29 am »

That sounds great.
Meanwhile I've been working on a concept for a build on civcraft, but since you mentioned being inside a huge glass dome I might as well post a preview.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19502 on: August 21, 2015, 10:29:04 am »

You put one stair the wrong way around :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19503 on: August 21, 2015, 10:31:42 am »

Apparently this has been out for a few months, but I just discovered it yesterday just came out? Or at least, was recently updated? I'm confused, but anyway, it's out and I found it yesterday: Blightfall
Yep, I played with it enough to know I like it. Considering opening up a bay12 server for a few months.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19504 on: August 21, 2015, 10:48:08 am »

Apparently this has been out for a few months, but I just discovered it yesterday just came out? Or at least, was recently updated? I'm confused, but anyway, it's out and I found it yesterday: Blightfall
Yep, I played with it enough to know I like it. Considering opening up a bay12 server for a few months.

Squeee! That would be amazing. I'm still hooked, but it's just so hard... Turns out I was wrong about taint not spreading on planks and cobble. The only safe block appears to be glass, and I have no source of sand. Right now I'm trying to find some gold so I can make a thaumometer (since thaumcraft magic seems to be the only way to get rid of the taint, at least as far as I can find so far), but I don't have a pick that can mine gold, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to make one. I have a metal that I think should work, but vanilla recipes don't work for most picks, and I definitely don't have the resources to make a smeltery. Don't suppose anyone has figured that part out yet? How do you get a smeltery together?

There's a lot of guidance at the start, but then it sort of drops off once you get established and leaves you to fend for yourself. At least I have plenty of food...

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19505 on: August 21, 2015, 12:24:21 pm »

You put one stair the wrong way around :)
XD
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19506 on: August 21, 2015, 12:47:35 pm »

Squeee! That would be amazing. I'm still hooked, but it's just so hard... Turns out I was wrong about taint not spreading on planks and cobble. The only safe block appears to be glass, and I have no source of sand. Right now I'm trying to find some gold so I can make a thaumometer (since thaumcraft magic seems to be the only way to get rid of the taint, at least as far as I can find so far), but I don't have a pick that can mine gold, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to make one. I have a metal that I think should work, but vanilla recipes don't work for most picks, and I definitely don't have the resources to make a smeltery. Don't suppose anyone has figured that part out yet? How do you get a smeltery together?

There's a lot of guidance at the start, but then it sort of drops off once you get established and leaves you to fend for yourself. At least I have plenty of food...
A bay12 server for that pack would be ridiculously awesome.  Please dear god make this a thing.  Otherwise, I've not looked at the pack yet so sorry I can't answer your questions at all Sappho.
Nom nom nom

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19507 on: August 21, 2015, 12:52:34 pm »

Well, I've made some progress. I managed to scrounge up the materials to make a smeltery, and even filled it with lava. The new problem is that I need a copper pickaxe in order to mine aluminum, which I need to make part casts, which I need to make a pickaxe that can mine gold. And I've spent hours searching for copper and found el zilcho. If anyone has seen any copper anywhere, maybe give me a hint as to where... I'm pretty sure the map is always the same, and I'm going a little nuts trying to find it without getting into the tainted areas...

EDIT: Found copper! But I still need gold.... I better take a break. Eyes going funny again...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:36:56 pm by Sappho »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19508 on: August 21, 2015, 02:17:56 pm »

Does the modpack have applied energistics in it?  I'm not at home so I can't check but it would seem that it would based on the 'sci-fi' origens of the map story.  If it does than certus quartz makes pickaxes that rival iron for digging but have less durability.  That's through expanded TiC though so it might not have that extra bit added on.
Nom nom nom

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19509 on: August 21, 2015, 02:32:56 pm »

It does have AE, though a lot of the recipes have been disabled or modified, so I'm not sure how that works. There is a set of quests that take you through the tech tree, but I've never been interested in tech. Right now my goal is to get far enough in Thaumcraft that I can make the flowers that push the taint back (ethereal blooms). For that, I need a little bit of gold to make a thaumometer. I'm pretty sure I can mine it with my current tools, I just have to FIND some... I also need the gold to make tool part casts so I can get a better pickaxe. Just keep digging, just keep digging...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19510 on: August 22, 2015, 03:06:04 am »

Turns out being brave and going exploring is a good way to get lots of stuff. The abandoned villages are overgrown and full of monsters, but I managed to dodge them (nearly dying to swarms several times first, of course) and found FOUR gold ingots in an abandoned smithy. Made my thaumometer, now struggling to understand how thaumcraft research works (such a hassle!). Also have enough to make a pickaxe head cast at last so I can mine better stuff, though I won't have enough left to make an ingot cast... But I'll be able to mine aluminum with my new pick, so I can make aluminum bronze casts instead.

Actually, I'm not sure how else you can progress without simply finding gold ingots somewhere. In order to mine gold, you need a level 3 pick, but you need gold to make a level 3 pick. Same goes for aluminum. And yes, your TC tools do upgrade with experience, but their mining level does not go up (I've leveled my pick twice and it still won't mine anything above flint level). Apparently there is silver, which can be mined with level 2 but is able to mine level 3, but it's extremely rare and only found in a few distant places on the map.

Forsaken, let us know when you get that server running. I think we'll have to coordinate a bit, since really only three people can comfortably survive in each dome from the start, and you can only choose one dome to be teleported to (the rest is all legging it across dangerous terrain).

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19511 on: August 22, 2015, 03:25:44 am »

You can set Thaumcraft research to easy mode in the configs; saves having to muck about with the obtuse minigame.

Got my own world started but didn't get very far. I have barley for days, at least. Also a stone fort thingy going up outside the dome, but progress is slow because of tainted pigs and other nasties.
I also can't find copper for the life of me. The book says "everywhere, between y20 and y60" but it's mostly just salt, coal, and rocks. There's a bit of iron around but it can't be mined without copper. I wonder if creeper explosions are a non-nonsensical way of mining?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19512 on: August 22, 2015, 04:11:41 am »

As far as I can tell, there are no creepers, or any vanilla mobs at all. Also, you can skip copper if you find the green "alien" metal, don't remember the name. Can be mined with flint.

I've got the recipe to make ethereal blooms, but I can't figure out how to use the crucible properly. I have to throw items in that contain the essence I need... But how on earth do I find items containing all these things? I've never bothered with Thaumcraft before because it seemed too fiddly and tedious, and I'm getting that feeling again now. I will set it to easy mode (thanks for the tip) but that doesn't help with the crucible, I think. Mostly, I'm frustrated that there seems to be no way to see what you have in the crucible already. How do I know for sure what I have in there?

There is also an issue with getting some of the aspects. Normally you'd find them by scanning monster drops (rotten flesh for humans, for example), but there aren't any vanilla mobs in this game. I guess I have to combine things in the research table to get it? But it's all so complicated...

If anyone has experience with Thaumcraft, can you please tell me how I should go about the recipe for the ethereal bloom? Apparently I need 16 Herba, 16 Praecantatio, 16 Sano, and 8 Vitium... This is one "challenge" I really don't enjoy.

Meanwhile, I suppose I'll go get some higher-level ores with my new pick and do some more exploring. I would like some better armor, but I don't know how to get any at the moment.

I also have found some Botania flowers here and there while exploring. And the "pure daisy" definitely seems to clean the taint around it (though far less effectively than the ethereal blooms). Maybe I should try to set up a little mana generation site and see if I can make a little progress that way... I can at least clean up the rest of the islands in the swamp to give myself some more space to work with.

Orange Wizard, how are you setting up a fort outside the dome without it getting overrun by taint? As far as I can tell, the only material that taint doesn't affect is glass. Although stairs do seem to be immune... Hmmmm... Do half-blocks work the same way? Maybe I can do something with this...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 04:29:50 am by Sappho »

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19513 on: August 22, 2015, 04:27:06 am »

Normal mobs won't spawn in tainted areas, but they should spawn as normal in clean areas. I've already had a bunch of normal pigs spawn around the totem near biodome alpha.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19514 on: August 22, 2015, 05:04:26 am »

Yes, I meant hostile ones, sorry. No zombies, creepers, skeletons.

I've come across a serious hurdle: I can't find any nodes! I can't keep going with Thaumcraft until I charge my wand at an aura node, but the only ones I've found so far are the ones in the silverwood trees, and I don't know how to get to those without destroying them. I haven't even seen any of the evil ones, though of course there must be some somewhere...

Also, turns out the ore I had was not the one I needed to mine harder metals. I can't even craft a pickaxe head out of this stuff. Seems useless, actually. Siiiigh. I'm off to explore some more.
Pages: 1 ... 1299 1300 [1301] 1302 1303 ... 1380