Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1300 1301 [1302] 1303 1304 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2339136 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19515 on: August 22, 2015, 05:12:30 am »

I remember seeing a couple of aura nodes when I was running about punching evil pigs around dome alpha. If you're desperate you can leave the wand in a magic bench and it'll slowly recharge.

Orange Wizard, how are you setting up a fort outside the dome without it getting overrun by taint? As far as I can tell, the only material that taint doesn't affect is glass. Although stairs do seem to be immune... Hmmmm... Do half-blocks work the same way? Maybe I can do something with this...
I've got an ethereal bloom sitting by the door. I also seem to recall that any block which isn't a full block (stairs, slabs, torches, fences...) will work for stopping taint, but I might also be making that up. Will experiment tomorrow, along with some cheating to figure out where all the copper at.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19516 on: August 22, 2015, 05:28:04 am »

Half-block fortress it is!

By "magic bench" do you mean the arcane worktable? So I can just leave my wand there and it'll eventually have what I need? I just need to get the alchemy tools together so I can start working towards making those blooms... Meanwhile I'm exploring like crazy. Already been to about half the locations on the map.

Also, I'm an idiot. Forgot you can make an iron pickaxe head (though you do need to find gold first) and that will mine level 3 ores. Time to go get some aluminum! Still no idea how they expect you to progress otherwise though. Unless they expect you to either find gold by exploring, or go dig up silver ore... I feel like I must be missing something obvious, but I can't find any other way to get metal tools.

EDIT: According to a video I was just watching, it is possible for vanilla hostiles to spawn, but only above ground, and only when the ground is clear of taint.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:08:31 am by Sappho »

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19517 on: August 22, 2015, 08:22:35 am »

Also, I'm an idiot. Forgot you can make an iron pickaxe head (though you do need to find gold first) and that will mine level 3 ores. Time to go get some aluminum! Still no idea how they expect you to progress otherwise though. Unless they expect you to either find gold by exploring, or go dig up silver ore... I feel like I must be missing something obvious, but I can't find any other way to get metal tools.
Doesn't Thaumcraft let you transmute ores? ...not sure what the requirements are on that, though. You might need at least a little gold to get started.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19518 on: August 22, 2015, 08:48:56 am »

Yeah, you need gold to start with Thaumcraft. The real issue is that there seems to be no way, without exploring to find gold in chests (which is quite rare - I got really lucky) or traveling to distant, dangerous areas to get silver, to progress to metal tools (aside from copper, which you can make vanilla, but that is only level 2). You need gold or aluminum to make TC casts for metal tool parts, but in order to mine gold or aluminum, you need a level 3 mining tool. Which you can only make if you already have gold or aluminum.

I haven't actually found any gold ore yet (just the bars I found in the chest), but according to the ore book they give you, you need a level 3 tool to mine gold. So how do they expect us to make casts to make level 3 tools? Unless the book is wrong, and it's possible to mine gold using level 2 tools... Has anyone found any gold ore? Can you confirm whether it requires "hard metal" mining level or is "soft metal" enough?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19519 on: August 22, 2015, 09:39:41 am »

A few things:
Adding a diamond to any tool jumps it to mining level 4

For silverwood nodes, the block of wood they are in _is_ the node, just right click on the wood with a wand and it will charge.

Looking at your cauldron through the thaumometer lets you see what's in it at the moment

"If anyone has experience with Thaumcraft, can you please tell me how I should go about the recipe for the ethereal bloom? Apparently I need 16 Herba, 16 Praecantatio, 16 Sano, and 8 Vitium... This is one "challenge" I really don't enjoy."
-Herba is in pretty much every plant, use saplings or some such.  Praecantio is in the crystal shards, silverwood, greatwood as easy to get things.  Sano is healing which is in milk.  Vitium is corruption itself, so any tainted tendrils, goo balls, ect you have should work.
Also if the mod has NEI, than search the aspects in it, and if you click the aspect it will show what you've scanned that have those aspects.

For easy wand charging make a primal gem, they give you a random charge point every few seconds.  Also killing mobs drop aspect orbs like experience that charge wands in your hotbar.

Gold I think is a soft metal mining level.  Did the mod remove vanilla metal picks?  Also, do you have any peridot/ruby/saphire/other gems?  Because you can use gems to make picks in Tinkers construct that have a mining level akin to iron or even diamond for rarer gems.

Otherwise, gold berry bushes might be a slow source of nuggets for you.

As for combining things in research table to make new aspects... look up  a list of what makes what.  It's kinda cheesy but honestly some of them are impossible to get by scanning, really a PiTA.

Was there anything else thaumcraft you needed to know?  (Kilakan is wizard :P )
Nom nom nom

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19520 on: August 22, 2015, 10:11:40 am »

Thanks for the help. :) The book with all the info on minerals says gold is a hard metal, but I still haven't actually found any, so maybe it is just a mistake in the book and the metal is soft. If I ever manage to find any, I'll let you know what it turns out to be. And yes, vanilla picks are removed (except for copper).

I can't mine gemstones. You need a level 4 pick to mine any gems. I've found some emeralds, but I can't mine them. So I can't make a pick out of gemstones. I also haven't found any oreberry bushes growing anywhere in the world, though I did get one from the supplier, so maybe if I keep requesting seeds I might get lucky and get a gold oreberry bush...

I've been strip mining like crazy at every level that could contain gold or copper. I've found 3 total copper in the entire world (though once you have one, you can slowly requisition more) and ZERO gold. It's getting a little tedious, to be honest. Especially since I can only mine in areas that are free of taint, and I can't start to clear away more taint until I figure out how to make ethereal blooms.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19521 on: August 22, 2015, 10:26:00 am »

Oh... you can most likely make a thaumium pickaxe.  That just takes praecentio and iron.  Try and see if that's still in?  Thaumium picks are... gold tier I think.
Nom nom nom

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19522 on: August 22, 2015, 11:18:58 am »

My current mission is to get some ethereal blooms going so I can clear more of the taint from the world. In order to do that, though, of course, I need at least 3 more gold bars. (My current pick is fine for mining hard metals, since I was lucky enough to find some gold bars to make the pickaxe head cast.) Back to mining, mining, mining... I'm pretty tired of mining. Still haven't found a single gold ore. And it seems I will need a crazy lot of stuff to make the blooms even once I get all my equipment set up... This modpack was a lot more fun before I started to feel like I had to grind to get any further. Maybe there is a better way... Anyone else having any luck?

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19523 on: August 22, 2015, 11:20:01 am »

Theres a little gold at bedrock under biodome alpha, it definitely requires a hard metal pick to mine.

I think the scout guy says something about their being a useful metal for this under the swamps. At any rate, the tutorial quest line seems to be leading towards being able to make metal tools, so Ill keep following that.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19524 on: August 22, 2015, 11:50:44 am »

Yeah, I think the "useful metal" under the swamps requires a hard metal pick to mine too - though I haven't found it yet, so I could be wrong.

Actually, I think I have found the answer. There's a quest in the manual to make a bronze pick (which can mine hard metals), and I assumed that would require a cast, but apparently it does not. You can use the vanilla recipe for a bronze pick, just like copper. BUT to do so, you need to make bronze in a smeltery, and you need to make enough that you can pour an entire block of bronze, since you can't make an ingot cast. So you need enough to make 9 ingots of bronze. Considering I've only found 3 copper in the whole world, that seems a bit excessive (though once you have one tin and one copper, you can slowly requisition both from the supplier - at the cost of reputation, of course).

Also, I did some watching of other people playing Blightfall on Youtube, and noted the exact coordinates that they found gold and copper. I went there and there was nothing. So I guess the ores do spawn naturally in the world, and every map must be slightly different.

I'm considering just setting up a strip mine somewhere. Just slowly scrape off one layer at a time in a non-tainted area and build stairs or ladders back up, so I can make sure I don't miss anything... I did find some lava below the swamp, though, so that was handy. Actually, I just realized my current pickaxe should be able to mine redstone - got to head back down to where I found some before and use it to upgrade my pick. I'm sure there are other things I should use it for, but right now I just want to mine without all the tedium. I've hit my limit on enjoying mining for a while.

Now, can we all just take a moment to chuckle over the idea that gold is a "hard" metal in this game. Heh.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19525 on: August 22, 2015, 12:52:40 pm »

Protip: research autochemistry, it's much less fiddly than normal crucibles (but requires pipes and advanced setup, and the pipes themselves are fiddly)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19526 on: August 22, 2015, 01:29:19 pm »

Is there something I can research that will let me find the locations of gold ore? Because I just spent another hour mining and have diddly to show for it... : / If the supplier can send me copper and tin, why not gold???

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19527 on: August 22, 2015, 01:31:25 pm »

The molten pickaxe can be right clicked to bing and show what type of ore is nearby.  At least it used to, but that's still only a 'within so many blocks from you' thing.

Aside from that... maybe try and get enough tech to make a quarry?  Go to the nether?  Um... do any mobs drop loot bags, because thaumcraft gold coins count as gold nuggets.
Nom nom nom

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19528 on: August 22, 2015, 01:41:21 pm »

The molten pickaxe can be right clicked to bing and show what type of ore is nearby.  At least it used to, but that's still only a 'within so many blocks from you' thing.

Aside from that... maybe try and get enough tech to make a quarry?  Go to the nether?  Um... do any mobs drop loot bags, because thaumcraft gold coins count as gold nuggets.

Hehe... There are no quarries. There is no nether. (That's right, no nether.) There are no loot bags. And... there is no molten pickaxe.

I thought about trying to transmute gold, but in order to do that you need gems which are far more rare and valuable than gold (and I can't mine them anyway).

So my options are keep mining until my head explodes, or cheat in some gold. I'm getting dangerously close to cheating, otherwise I might burn out on this pack real quick. Then again, the head developer seems very responsive to feedback. Maybe if I point out that it's WAY too hard to get gold, he might adjust the frequency a bit...

EDIT: Oh, Jesus fucking christ, cheats (and creative mode) are disabled. There is no way to cheat in gold. It's mine until my head explodes or quit.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 01:46:40 pm by Sappho »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19529 on: August 22, 2015, 01:54:40 pm »

Sappho, use Open to LAN, cheats enabled. Then you can use cheats.
Pages: 1 ... 1300 1301 [1302] 1303 1304 ... 1380