Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1309 1310 [1311] 1312 1313 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2339743 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19650 on: September 18, 2015, 08:37:21 am »

I recently discovered a Minecraft map where somebody had taken the entire Earth and shrunk it down to 1:1500 scale, at which point a number of relatively small features (Cape Cod, the Aegean) become scarily visible.

It would make an awesome Civcraft-type server, I think. Take the monorail from New York to Los Angeles, or have an underwater train track running from Cape Town to Perth?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19651 on: September 18, 2015, 10:30:36 am »

For those who hate to build everything flat:

http://imgur.com/a/kOH2v

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19652 on: September 18, 2015, 11:45:42 am »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #19653 on: September 18, 2015, 11:56:54 am »

I recently discovered a Minecraft map where somebody had taken the entire Earth and shrunk it down to 1:1500 scale, at which point a number of relatively small features (Cape Cod, the Aegean) become scarily visible.

It would make an awesome Civcraft-type server, I think. Take the monorail from New York to Los Angeles, or have an underwater train track running from Cape Town to Perth?

The way I'd do it is that when you log on, you get put at your "real" coordinates (ignoring the how for now). Build your home town or just bury it in TNT!

Note that at 1.5 km per block, most towns would be difficult to fit onto the map. I think the best approach might be more like 10:1 to 100:1 scale, fine enough to allow voxelized versions of landmarks to fit while minimizing the problem of having way, way too much spaaace on the map for the number of players.

We would still need to enhance Nether transport so it's a further 20+ times more compressed. On a 100:1 map, you could sprint from New York to San Fransisco through a x20 Nether in 25 minutes.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19654 on: September 18, 2015, 04:26:46 pm »

For those who hate to build everything flat:

http://imgur.com/a/kOH2v
I love this guy's stuff. He's done a few other guides, too (but I think that one is my favorite): http://sarlacminecraft.imgur.com/

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19655 on: September 18, 2015, 06:23:54 pm »

I wish there was a mod/plugin that let you set an image as a biome map, but actually generated the chunks on-the-fly. That way you could have a procedurally created map of Earth or Faerun or whatever.

Or maybe there is, but the last time I checked there were only utils that let you change biomes after the fact.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19656 on: September 18, 2015, 11:36:53 pm »

I made a thing that lets you generate a map using a biome map, but it has to be a dwarf fortress biome map.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19657 on: September 19, 2015, 12:37:37 am »

Would it be possible to make something that uses vanilla terrain gen but specify what biomes are generated where?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19658 on: September 19, 2015, 02:33:16 am »

That would be pretty cool, actually, and likely possible using forge.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19659 on: September 19, 2015, 04:38:02 am »

I think there is a mod that changes how biomes are generated so you don't have deserts next to tundras. I think it might be called "Realistic Biomes" or something similar, but all those type of mods are called something like that so it's not much help.

I think I saw it in one of the mod packs on the "Feed the Beast" website.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19660 on: September 19, 2015, 02:44:52 pm »

I wonder, is there a mod that makes the whole world an ocean? I'd like to play MC like it was LoZ: Wind Waker.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19661 on: September 19, 2015, 03:25:34 pm »

I wonder, is there a mod that makes the whole world an ocean? I'd like to play MC like it was LoZ: Wind Waker.
In 1.8 you can use "customized" in the world settings to make a pure ocean or deep ocean world. Not sure it'd be good enough for your purposes though.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19662 on: September 19, 2015, 03:28:38 pm »

I meant, like, with small islands scattered about. Customized wouldn't really work for me, I'm afraid.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19663 on: September 19, 2015, 03:48:05 pm »

That's definitely within the scope of customised worldgen. I'll mess with it later today and see if I can come up with something.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #19664 on: September 26, 2015, 02:43:13 am »

I've started playing Minecraft again, but the mod I used to play with has gone horribly out-of-date. Does anybody a) have any preferred difficulty rebalancing mods? It's all rather trivial, even on hard and b) know of any good low-tech automation mods?

I used to play Better Than Wolves, but FC stopped updating it a few months back.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 1309 1310 [1311] 1312 1313 ... 1380