Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1332 1333 [1334] 1335 1336 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2339663 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19995 on: March 04, 2016, 01:48:08 am »

Shall we do a Bay12 one?
I would play in a vanilla server. I guess I would play in a modded server.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19996 on: March 04, 2016, 01:53:12 am »

Walls/slabs/stairs should be available for every block type IMO, but that'll never get added so RIP.
Which is more likely: This, mod api, or quickly-updating big mods?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19997 on: March 04, 2016, 02:03:51 am »

More likely is Microsoft packaging and selling expansions that mimic big mods, which are always kept compatible with the main game, while constantly putting out mod-breaking core updates to destroy the modding community. "Why make something yourself if you can buy it from us?"
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19998 on: March 04, 2016, 04:44:58 am »

I... Doubt it'll get that bad.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19999 on: March 04, 2016, 11:13:35 am »

I stopped playing around 3 years ago and have a question:

Has server mod compatibility improved? When I played, the only way to play a mod on multiplayer was if the mod was specifically designed around it or you had server-side mods which used things like Bukkit.
I'm asking this because I want to play with my little brother and would like to install mods of high caliber. Is it possible or is it still super tedious?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20000 on: March 04, 2016, 11:21:34 am »

Everything is basically always a mp mod now, more or less.
The tediousness depends on whether what you want is already bundled up in a modpack or not.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20001 on: March 04, 2016, 12:04:57 pm »

Also from 1.8 onwards, I believe, there's no singleplayer anymore, so mods have to be multiplayer.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20002 on: March 04, 2016, 12:15:24 pm »

More likely is Microsoft packaging and selling expansions that mimic big mods, which are always kept compatible with the main game, while constantly putting out mod-breaking core updates to destroy the modding community. "Why make something yourself if you can buy it from us?"

im alpha, so legally they have to give them all to me for free :^]

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20003 on: March 04, 2016, 02:07:19 pm »

Everything is basically always a mp mod now, more or less.
The tediousness depends on whether what you want is already bundled up in a modpack or not.
What? Really? How does that work exactly? Is it good or bad?

I had a mod once where you could build these drills and cranes to mine for you. That, and one that added vehicles and misc machinery. Do you mean to tell me you could just download them and start a world, then have players join and it will work just like that???

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20004 on: March 04, 2016, 02:16:18 pm »

What now?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20005 on: March 04, 2016, 02:20:55 pm »

The minecraft alpha description reads as such.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20006 on: March 04, 2016, 02:22:07 pm »

Hmm.  I guess that vanished by Beta.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20007 on: March 04, 2016, 03:03:41 pm »

I... Doubt it'll get that bad.

Probably not, but oh god, I had a terrible vision. With the UWP and Windows Store shenanigans detailed in that other thread, you know what I expect? I expect Microsoft will finally port Minecraft away from Java... and then put it behind their Universal Windows Platform. It might even include API, just that it will be integrated into the app instead of the hackfest that modding is today (meaning, also as I expect and as I fear, the only modding permitted will be in the manner exposed through that API).

And it just might work too, because Minecraft is by far the most popular "game" Microsoft owns right now. And not just among "gamers" but among children. Someone else I know fears that Microsoft might clue in to that fact and try to exploit that popularity, making Minecraft Microsoft's "Super Mario Brothers." (Whether that's a good or bad thing, /shrug.) The only reason that putting Minecraft behind UWP would fail would be because everyone interested in Minecraft pretty much has it already; but on the other hand, if you can run the same worlds from your PC/tablet/phone on a whim, maybe there are some more purchases to be had there.

That said, even if they tried, there would probably continue to be a java "fork" based on their last official update.

All they'd have to do is say "Were discontinuing work on Minecraft, but there's a Minecraft 2 now! $40 USD for the base game, check back every six months for new expansion content!." Could also tie in to moving off JAVA and/or into UWP. (I will stress that I have no evidence that they will do that, but rather it is just the kind of moneygrubbing I expect.)

And that's assuming that the original alpha clause legally survives the transition of ownership; I'm not a lawyer, but it probably should, if the binding party was Mojang, with Mojang still being the owner of Minecraft.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #20008 on: March 04, 2016, 07:01:47 pm »

I can't really see MC2 being a thing. It'd need to have a significant draw for people to shell out tonnes of cash, and "more of the same but now you have to pay for it" isn't going to draw a huge userbase.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20009 on: March 04, 2016, 07:24:22 pm »

I can see them trying it, but I don't see them succeeding in it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 1332 1333 [1334] 1335 1336 ... 1380