Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1338 1339 [1340] 1341 1342 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2338591 times)

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #20085 on: August 16, 2016, 06:27:41 pm »

I am looking for a new technology based modpack to try. I am looking for something with some complexity but not really the Gregtech grind bullshittery.

I ragequit infitech 2 after I had a transformer blow up half my machine park (which is complete bullshit How the fuck does a transformer without any moving parts blow up even if it does get too high voltage). I actually liked the old gregtech based modpacks but gregtech 5 is just a giant PITA. In my opinion that entire voltage system adds nothing but tedium And it went WAY too grindy with things like quarries being end game content.

Tried Skyfactory, but I'd rather have something on the ground.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20086 on: August 18, 2016, 02:33:52 pm »

I am looking for a new technology based modpack to try. I am looking for something with some complexity but not really the Gregtech grind bullshittery.

I ragequit infitech 2 after I had a transformer blow up half my machine park (which is complete bullshit How the fuck does a transformer without any moving parts blow up even if it does get too high voltage). I actually liked the old gregtech based modpacks but gregtech 5 is just a giant PITA. In my opinion that entire voltage system adds nothing but tedium And it went WAY too grindy with things like quarries being end game content.

Tried Skyfactory, but I'd rather have something on the ground.

Have you tried Modular Mayhem?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20087 on: August 18, 2016, 02:51:41 pm »

I'd say rotarycraft, but its not in many packs. If your willing to throw a pack together yourself, its very powerful but only once you learn to use its machines.
I ragequit infitech 2 after I had a transformer blow up half my machine park (which is complete bullshit How the fuck does a transformer without any moving parts blow up even if it does get too high voltage).
They get hot enough to ignite the insulating oil. It can be quite a spectacular show. Not sure if infitech 2's explosions are excessive, but an overloaded transformer can do serious damage in the real world.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20088 on: August 21, 2016, 09:52:22 pm »

Is there a place I can post a suggestion for a mod? Because I have no idea how to mod myself but would like to see this mod made and think it would be popular.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20089 on: August 22, 2016, 05:08:25 am »

Minecraft forums probably, or any of the forums run by the major launchers (Feed the Beast, Technic, maybe Curse though I don't know if they have forums, not sure if others exist). Reddits for general minecraft modding or those launchers.

You're not going to be well-received, though. A lot of people have ideas they'd like to see happen (not just in minecraft but in any creative endeavor - games, writing, movies, music, etc), but feel they lack the technical expertise necessary to realize their vision. The people who do have that skill have their own ideas they want to see happen, and those are going to take priority. If they have the skill but not the interest (in the idea specifically or in the setting), then it becomes simply work... and most likely unpaid work at that. The best you can hope for (and this is itself unlikely in the extreme) is that someone will take a fervent interest in your idea, but that just means they're going to interpret it their way. You won't have any more control than simply an 'inspired by' credit, if that, and it won't turn out the way you'd like to see.

The alternative is to learn to mod yourself. It can be daunting to start, depending on how familiar you are with code grammar in general, but it is the best option. Just don't jump into the deep end to begin with, start simple. Change a vanilla block's name. Copy the block. Change its recipe. Change its texture. Do the same for a tool. Same for entities. Now change behavior: make a hoe act like a pickaxe. Make a furnace act like a hopper. Make cows shearable (either for wool, or change it to be leather). If you don't know how to do something, easiest way is to look at a mod's code that does do that behavior - an example would be how Witchery causes villagers to seek shelter at night and sleep; however, some of these are likely depending on the Forge API.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20090 on: August 22, 2016, 05:23:27 am »

Is there a place I can post a suggestion for a mod? Because I have no idea how to mod myself but would like to see this mod made and think it would be popular.
As Niveras says, it won't go well. The FTB reddit might be a good start though.

Some of the biggest modders started out with 'no idea how to mod'. Vaskii learned to mod by watching tutorials and went on to make Botania and other mods with no prior knowledge. You have the ability to do it if you really want to.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20091 on: August 22, 2016, 05:52:34 am »

I don't have the free time to attempt to mod so I guess I'll just be content with just telling people about it.

Redstone is actually a bunch of nanobots, and something caused them to activate. Now redstone is everywhere and it will actively search for and attempt to destroy you, forming different mobs and laying redstone as traps. You have to keep moving base until you figure out a way to stop it.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #20092 on: August 22, 2016, 06:11:59 am »

nah don't be that guy, the idea guy. nobody likes the idea guy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20093 on: August 22, 2016, 08:12:52 am »

Redstone is actually a bunch of nanobots, and something caused them to activate. Now redstone is everywhere and it will actively search for and attempt to destroy you, forming different mobs and laying redstone as traps. You have to keep moving base until you figure out a way to stop it.
Okay, but what exactly does this add to the gameplay? It just makes the game a pain in the ass to play, because everything is hostile all the time?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20094 on: August 22, 2016, 03:23:36 pm »

I don't have the free time to attempt to mod

No one does, but it is the same for any activity - they make the time. Just a matter of priorities. Even if you only play minecraft an hour a week, that's an hour that could do to learning to mod instead.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 03:27:04 pm by Niveras »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20095 on: August 22, 2016, 03:42:09 pm »

I imagine it taking hundreds of hours to learn code, figure out how minecraft's code works, develop code for the mod.

Okay, but what exactly does this add to the gameplay? It just makes the game a pain in the ass to play, because everything is hostile all the time?
I like the idea of constantly being pursued. I want to play a minecraft mod were you have to tiptoe around and hide or run for your life.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20096 on: August 22, 2016, 08:00:53 pm »

I imagine it taking hundreds of hours to learn code, figure out how minecraft's code works, develop code for the mod.

I like the idea of constantly being pursued. I want to play a minecraft mod were you have to tiptoe around and hide or run for your life.

TerraFirma Craft, yo. Or, heck. There's plenty of HCQ mods out there like that.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20097 on: August 22, 2016, 09:50:07 pm »

TerraFirma Craft, yo. Or, heck. There's plenty of HCQ mods out there like that.

Ok I remember terrafirmacraft and know about hard core mods. I don't want new ways to take damage or monsters with larger health pools or require 15 times the resources to make something. I want the inability to be safe with 4 walls and a roof.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20098 on: August 22, 2016, 10:00:45 pm »

There have been a few mods that allow mobs to tunnel through or blow up your walls. That isn't new.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20099 on: August 22, 2016, 10:03:45 pm »

There have been a few mods that allow mobs to tunnel through or blow up your walls. That isn't new.

Yep I've played those too. They were awesome until I learned how to elevate my house 2 blocks.

Now that I am thinking about it, I know the game can differentiate between blocks placed by the player and natural blocks. Is there a mod out there that makes creepers target player placed blocks just for the sake of destroying them?
Pages: 1 ... 1338 1339 [1340] 1341 1342 ... 1380