Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1340 1341 [1342] 1343 1344 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2341930 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #20115 on: August 24, 2016, 03:45:41 pm »

Man, I started playing Blightfall because of this discussion and now I don't want to go to work. I mean, I don't want to go to work on the best of days, but for now I'd actually have something to do if I didn't.

Have to be careful not to spoil myself about it, too.
It is a very fun little pack. Sadly there's a really simple trick you can use to remove any danger the taint might pose to your base.

Would that trick happen to be a 2 block high wall?
No, taint will crawl over walls. You just make a suspended platform instead. Use an elevator or some other way to get up that doesn't let the taint crawl up the sides and you're safe-ish. The little flying swarming things can still get you sometimes but its pretty chill. I played both of the thaumcraft taint focused modpacks.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20116 on: August 24, 2016, 04:07:32 pm »

Man, I started playing Blightfall because of this discussion and now I don't want to go to work. I mean, I don't want to go to work on the best of days, but for now I'd actually have something to do if I didn't.

It is a very fun little pack. Sadly there's a really simple trick you can use to remove any danger the taint might pose to your base.

No, taint will crawl over walls. You just make a suspended platform instead. Use an elevator or some other way to get up that doesn't let the taint crawl up the sides and you're safe-ish. The little flying swarming things can still get you sometimes but its pretty chill. I played both of the thaumcraft taint focused modpacks.

Don't they give you plants that get rid of the taint in blightfall?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20117 on: August 24, 2016, 04:09:05 pm »

Don't they give you plants that get rid of the taint in blightfall?
Those plants are part of Thaumcraft, if you mean the Ethereal Bloom, but they only have like an 8 block radius so it's not a great option for large scale clearing.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20118 on: August 24, 2016, 05:25:03 pm »

Isn't a suspended platform how you're supposed to play that modpack?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20119 on: August 24, 2016, 07:24:46 pm »

I think you're 'supposed' to use the various anti-taint stuff to make a safe area but just putting down a massive cobble platform is easier. Or digging underground.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20120 on: August 24, 2016, 09:41:47 pm »

anybody know of mods that add an automated self-defense system against hostile mobs that look pretty technological for 1.10.2?

Used to use PortalGun turrets ways into the past ago, but that's outdated with the most recent release for 1.7.10.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20121 on: August 25, 2016, 06:01:22 am »

I think you're 'supposed' to use the various anti-taint stuff to make a safe area but just putting down a massive cobble platform is easier. Or digging underground.
tbh when I played the mod all the anti-taint stuff seemed pretty lategame

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20122 on: August 25, 2016, 07:33:01 am »

tbh when I played the mod all the anti-taint stuff seemed pretty lategame
Ethereal Blooms are pretty easy to get to honestly. Its only a few researches. The biggest problem is getting enough aurum aspect to make it but I just broke 3-4 tainted nodes I found and had ~20 of the blooms within 2 hours of play.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20123 on: August 27, 2016, 12:28:52 pm »

For the life of me I can't find silver ore. Been through several caves/chasms mine in the elevations mentioned, tons of iron (and manganese since it is pretty dense and large clusters in tundra), a workable amount of copper, tin, and lead, but absolutely 0 silver. At this point I'm wondering if something is bugged or if the texturepack I'm using (PureDB + Blightfall patch) retextured them in a way that is making me ignore them. I skip salt since I have plenty and no need for it, but maybe some of those things I thought were salt was actually silver... (But I looked at the textures in NEI and they seem to look like other ores, not salt.)

I like how the regions are very well differentiated. Minecraft's basic worldgen, even with biome mods, is total chaos (understandably, really) that things just become samey, especially underground. I feel it could benefit from a more focused/controlled world gen - not necessarily handcrafted like Blightfall, but purposely limited in size (instead of simply bound by the limitation of how big a number the program can use) with regions defined in relation to each other. Terraria springs to mind. Hopefully this would also allow such regions to plug together in ways that make a bit more sense, not transitioning from desert to swamp to extreme hills within a chunk of each other. Unlimited resources could still be achieved through vanilla multi-dimension options if they care to implement it (it would be a simple matter of having a nether or end portal-like for vanilla players to craft that goes to a replica overworld dimension), though I mean for this limited world to still have more than enough resources for players not looking to mod.

(It occurs to me this might be reasonably easily possible even in Minecraft's default 'unlimited size' world. At the top you'd start with 'tiles' of continents, which are separated by oceans. Each continent is then mapped into regions, with all regions appearing in each continent but by no means in the same general location or shape. Archipelagos, lonely mountains, mountain chains, forests, plains, savanah, desert, badlands, rivers draining from mountains into bays and swamps, placement of biomes determined by rainfall patterns [themselves determined by prevailing winds and windbreaks, which may vary per continent region]. Placement of tundra/taiga would be placed in only one cardinal direction and will vary compared to other continents, which won't quite make sense, but at the least each continent itself can be coordinated internally.)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:32:41 pm by Niveras »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20124 on: August 27, 2016, 12:37:47 pm »

Yeah, this thread's stopped being about Minecraft and started being about Minecraft mods.

How about some vanilla discussion: DEATHTRAPS.

It's amazing how lethal you can get with just the ability to move blocks around when somebody steps on a pressure plate.
1: Pit trap. Says it all. Drop enemy into lava, cactus, very long drop, very long drop with something else nasty at the bottom, very very long drop with hoppers at the bottom... anyway.
2. Suffocation. Push a block into somebody's head. Watch them suffer.
3. Open ceiling above enemy. Drop: lava, anvil, sand...
4. Entrapment: push blocks all around to imprison foe. Normally easy to escape... so you flood the newly created cage with water, by moving a block or two out of the way of a water flow above the cage.
5. Shove. Just pushing somebody one block in a direction can be lethal if a pit is nearby.

Any deathtrap ideas to suggest?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #20125 on: August 27, 2016, 10:02:03 pm »

I guess, for the vanilla server I've been playing, I was working on was something that would retract a hole in the ceiling and drop lava on someone when I pulled a lever (or I suppose you could link it up to any trigger you liked. I could put in on any point in a ceiling and remain undetectable, but I couldn't get the timing right with the dispenser, specifically picking it back up when I needed to close it again. I suppose I could have just used placed lava, since I found that worked, but I was afraid it could get uncontained and cause problems, and I think the dispenser would have been faster.

Another thing I built that worked a bit better was a row of dispensers that would shoot arrows while piston doors simultaneously opened up to reveal themselves. I never hooked it up to a repeater, though there shouldn't have been any problems there, other than the fact that shooting it too fast would cause some of the arrows to get stuck on the retracting piston wall. Also, I couldn't manage to get two stacks of dispensers right on top of each other; though now that I know more about redstone, I think I could have made it work with half-slabs.

Granted, these were built on my test single-player world. The only actual "trap" I think I made on the server was a certain point in my mine where I could remove a block and send a pursuing foe backward with water.

I have made some pretty cool stuff, though, like a keycard door (actually two), based on this design. The first one was to make a more secure entrance to this redstone shop. The second was to make a secure entrance to my base so that people coming to my underground city wouldn't be able to easily take my stuff.

Then I made this 4x4 door and put water on the bottom to make a boat entrance to an underhill cavern that leads to the underground ravine city (as most of the server is ocean and islands, so I wanted a convenient place for people to park their boats that was also quite impressive.

I also have a couple of secret entrances I made, but I don't want to share much information about, just as a precaution.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #20126 on: August 27, 2016, 10:43:16 pm »

Wouldn't a lava drop trap be too slow to actually murder anyone?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20127 on: August 28, 2016, 07:59:03 am »

Lava takes like 2 seconds to kill you if you don't have fire resistance, and it's rather hard to get out of a lava drop trap.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20128 on: August 28, 2016, 08:27:23 am »

I built a rather large trap once. A trap that forced someone through a nether portal and then destroyed the portal once they went through it.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #20129 on: August 28, 2016, 08:57:00 am »

Lava takes like 2 seconds to kill you if you don't have fire resistance, and it's rather hard to get out of a lava drop trap.

I was thinking of lava dropping from above on you, not you dropping into lava!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 1340 1341 [1342] 1343 1344 ... 1380