Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1341 1342 [1343] 1344 1345 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2334477 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #20130 on: August 28, 2016, 09:09:48 am »

You could also use dispensers with buckets of lava to throw lava straight into someones space if I am remembering correctly.
Nom nom nom

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20131 on: August 28, 2016, 10:19:09 am »

tripwires are slightly less obvious, but even better is not to disguise the pressure plates at all. Make it look like it's something else. Put it in front of an iron door so it looks like its there to open the door, but it also triggers the trap for example.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20132 on: August 28, 2016, 11:47:36 am »

I think my favorite trap is a lever that has a sign 'Please do not touch, work in progress' that triggers a giant pit trap and or drops zombies on you from a spawner.
Nom nom nom

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20133 on: August 28, 2016, 02:45:41 pm »

On the subject of lava dropping slowly: yes, it does. But there are ways to slow somebody down.

ASCII wizardry, activate!

_
SSS
PSP

Where S is stone, P is piston, and _ is pressure plate.

Player steps on pressure plate, pistons shoot up blocks. If they're in a 1 block wide corridor, they're now trapped. Ordinarily, they would just dig through the two stone blocks. But at the same time, the pressure plate opens a hole in the ceiling, dropping the lava. Let's assume the corridor is also only 2 blocks high. Normally, the player would just run away from the lava. But instead, they have to dig out the stone blocks. This won't take long, but it might be enough to get the lava on them.

Plus, this version is more surprising: having blocks suddenly block your movement provokes a moment of surprise. Lava falls. You dig. Lava falls, you die.
~~~
So. Other traps: Weaponizing... odd stuff, shall we say. Think cactus. Normally useless. Until you rig things up so that the players involved in the trap get shoved next to it. Repeatedly.
~~~
Come to think about it, surprise and disorientation are the necessary factors for most traps. If a player thinks, and has time to do anything, the player can and will pull something out of his/her inventory or take some action to escape. If a player is surprised, and doesn't have time to think, or is too confused, they won't be able to escape or neutralize the trap. And that's bad for them.

And on another level... if a player gets wind of what the trap is doing, it's not the end of the world if you have some sort of backup built in. Hm.
~~~
Wow, trap theory is really something.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20134 on: August 28, 2016, 03:34:33 pm »

The main issue with this is actually hiding the pressure plates. They're pretty obvious unless you're paying absolutely no attention.

I disguise the pressure plates as a series of noteblocks as the person walks down a narrow path. They make a song, and the last one traps you :)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20135 on: August 28, 2016, 04:17:45 pm »

Cactus is always terrible for traps because it takes ages to kill anything. The only time cactus has been useful was back in alpha, when there was a bug where you could use
cactus and boats to get a net gain in wood.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #20136 on: August 29, 2016, 02:02:33 am »

Doesn't cactus also destroy items? Gotta be able to pillage the bodies.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20137 on: August 29, 2016, 02:11:16 am »

I think the most effective is a piston-operated pit that drops the player immediately into lava. Also simple. Of course you get no loot but that's a tradeoff.

And the idea to make the player believe the activator does something else is really the way to go. The note block hall is perfect. Or a lever with a sign "Please close the secret door when you leave".
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20138 on: August 29, 2016, 02:56:22 am »

Could prolly make a convoluted microwave hall using magma blocks on 1.10.2. That thing is pretty damaging and doesn't kill loot. Too bad it only works on entities on top of it.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20139 on: August 29, 2016, 03:11:55 pm »

I need help. I'm using ATLauncher and it has mods that use different versions of Java. I've tried downloading both but still can't run the different modpacks and all googling to solve this problem has ended in failure. How do I download multiple Java's and have different packs use different versions?

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20140 on: August 29, 2016, 03:20:37 pm »

You don't. At least not in ATLauncher, which lacks per-instance configurations. Maybe MultiMC can do it?

However, the only problem I know of that would require different versions of java is the bug in forge for 1.6.4/1.7.2 which requires a bug that was fixed in Java 8. If thats the issue, then it would be better to fix it using this patch:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/2206446-forge-1-6-4-1-7-2-java-8-compatibility-patch

Rather than install an old and insecure version of java.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20141 on: August 29, 2016, 03:32:39 pm »

So you are saying using that patch for the forge in ATLauncher will allow me to use all the instances with windows 8?

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20142 on: August 29, 2016, 04:33:43 pm »

Maybe. You might have another issue, but if you're using a modpack for 1.6.4/1.7.2 then that would be the first guess at a fix. Failing that, I checked and MultiMC does allow for per-instance settings, so you could use different Java versions for different packs.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20143 on: August 29, 2016, 10:06:47 pm »

Hmmm, and could I move modpacks from other launchers to MultiMC including save files? How?

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20144 on: August 30, 2016, 03:13:11 pm »

1) Create a new instance in MultiMC, selecting a vanilla instance of the correct minecraft version.
2) Launch that instance to download minecraft into the instance folder.
3) Copy everything from atlaunchers instance folder to the MultiMC instance folder
4) Adjust the settings to give a reasonable amount of RAM to Java
5) Adjust instance settings to adjust java versions, memory etc for each modpack
Pages: 1 ... 1341 1342 [1343] 1344 1345 ... 1380