Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1376 1377 [1378] 1379 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2334732 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #20655 on: December 27, 2020, 06:59:54 pm »

Person who doesn't know how to code insists that coding is very easy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20656 on: December 27, 2020, 09:55:35 pm »

This https://ftbwiki.org/Thaumic_Bases_1 mod was done very fast.
I have no doubt. It's just an addon to another mod, Thaumcraft, which took years to make and has gone through 6 major iterations over at least 6 years. The mod you linked uses those systems and adds some recipes for them. I'm sure that wasn't hard to do as Azanor made it intentionally easy for others to add to his mod.

Edit: Looks like the initial Thaumcraft came out in 2011 so even longer than I thought as Azanor worked on it until 2019. I don't know how long the initial release took but he'd worked on it in some form from 2011-2019. FWIW I think the time estimates above are accurate, perhaps conservative in some areas. When you play a mod all you see is the end result, not the toil and work behind it. Games are the same way, I am an amatur game developer and programmer so I can say that with some confidence.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 10:03:22 pm by forsaken1111 »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20657 on: December 27, 2020, 10:08:43 pm »

I already have new model for horse, so this shall be faster. All your other counts looks unrealistic for me too.
Well, what do your estimates look like, then? Recall that you did say Java was too janky for you to want to work with yourself, so you're admitting there's significant overhead or inefficiency on top of the idea itself.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20658 on: December 27, 2020, 10:53:57 pm »

In other notes, do any of guys think Mojang is sort of missing the mark somewhat with this new update and other recent updates? I mean you got copper, amethysts, axolotls, spyglasses, candles, and sculk sensors. Sculk sensors are an interesting new mechanic. But the other stuff? What's that about? Candles are new light sources? Ok? You can put them on cakes? Copper ages? You can find new types of stone underground that is mostly just like the rest? Where's the cool new game mechanic stuff? It's like rehashing stuff. Is this just to appease the builders? I dunno, I sort of look forward to the game mechanic stuff more than the aesthetic stuff. It seems like filler mostly. If they really want just more aesthetic stuff why not just churn out a dozen textures or something in a year for new stone blocks for example, instead of drip-feeding a couple interesting-looking things a year. A 2-man team has already created piles of graphical textures for DF so I think they can accomplish that. Do they just have a really convoluted approval process for new features? Yet they decide on stuff like honey blocks not sticking to slime blocks within weeks of the first snapshot? I think Dream said something about how Mojang was thinking about cool stuff to put in the ocean and instead of sharks or octopus-like things they were like "underwater zombies!" He's probably a cheater but he's sort of got a point there. Is there something I'm missing?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #20659 on: December 28, 2020, 03:30:39 am »

Since 1.8.  :P

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20660 on: December 28, 2020, 11:49:17 am »

Oh boy, completely remaking all redstone will take more than an hour, I think. More than a year most likely. Remember that if you make some sort of big change to a game mechanic you will need to rewrite that mechanic nearly from scratch. Notch and Mojang programmers are professionals and redstone took them years to develop incrementally.

It's all good that you have ideas for mods, but I would suggest starting with something a little smaller. You could make cogs be able to transmit redstone signals like redstone dust, for example. Or the roaches thing. Try to get some general Java and modding experience first.
Just remove part of code from redstone, then put this code into cog. What may be simpler?

Roaches are just little joke mod. In DF I can make hundreds of them in few days.
In other notes, do any of guys think Mojang is sort of missing the mark somewhat with this new update and other recent updates? I mean you got copper, amethysts, axolotls, spyglasses, candles, and sculk sensors. Sculk sensors are an interesting new mechanic. But the other stuff? What's that about? Candles are new light sources? Ok? You can put them on cakes? Copper ages? You can find new types of stone underground that is mostly just like the rest? Where's the cool new game mechanic stuff? It's like rehashing stuff. Is this just to appease the builders? I dunno, I sort of look forward to the game mechanic stuff more than the aesthetic stuff. It seems like filler mostly. If they really want just more aesthetic stuff why not just churn out a dozen textures or something in a year for new stone blocks for example, instead of drip-feeding a couple interesting-looking things a year. A 2-man team has already created piles of graphical textures for DF so I think they can accomplish that. Do they just have a really convoluted approval process for new features? Yet they decide on stuff like honey blocks not sticking to slime blocks within weeks of the first snapshot? I think Dream said something about how Mojang was thinking about cool stuff to put in the ocean and instead of sharks or octopus-like things they were like "underwater zombies!" He's probably a cheater but he's sort of got a point there. Is there something I'm missing?

New Mojang Microsoft updates are just mods that I want to remove from game, but can't.
I feel like you're making these estimates based off how long it would take to implement if this (Minecraft) were your own project, in which case they seem about right, but writing mods is a bit of a different beast. Time more depends on how many things your mod interacts with. Like adding coins for trading. (I'm assuming this means sort of replacing emeralds.) On top of just adding the coins for trading you might modify the world generation of villagers to make them use coins instead of emeralds. With the new workplace blocks you might modify the code that runs when a villager claims one of those. Plus code for unlocking new trades. If the code in place is not already nice and modular you're looking at revamping half of all villager code to date.

Roaches on the other hand can probably be done in like an afternoon, possibly with just a datapack.

I *am* making those estimates based on writing a mod, which is why the inventory resize is by far the longest project of them all, it would require registering a lot of very invasive hooks. If a Mojang employee had to rework inventory sizes, I'd estimate it would still take six months. Actually, writing a Bukkit plugin for inventory extension might only take a month or even less if you hack the rightmost three slots of your main inventory to act as an inventory scrollbar. Incredibly ugly but it would do the job.

The emeralds-to-coins rework should be just a few coin item definitions plus a datapack, changing some trade tables and loot tables. Adding a new bankier villager type would take significantly longer, of course. My estimate on the roaches is because I interpreted the mod idea as adding roaches to the game based on silverfish instead of literally just reskinning silverfish.

Add cogs and just move all redstone functions to them - will take less than hour, I think.

I'm not really sure how to convey the scale of how wrong you are. Maybe by analogy? Imagine you were an architect and someone asked you "hey can you move this skyscraper a foot to the left? can you be done by tomorrow? it's only a foot!"
Have Bukkit plugin infinite inventory? If it work, ugliness isn't big deal.

Roaches are planned as copied and reskinned silverfish. With roach remains as drop.

In DF I remade night troll's grinding vermins into paste as reaction usable by player, that taked few hours of testing and some minutes for writing (I mean all changing in raws). In RA2 I remade Forgotten from TS by few days.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20661 on: December 28, 2020, 11:53:35 am »

You can't just move around code like that easily. You do not have access to the source of Minecraft I presume. The release jar contains Java bytecode.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20662 on: December 28, 2020, 02:37:56 pm »

In DF I remade night troll's grinding vermins into paste as reaction usable by player, that taked few hours of testing and some minutes for writing (I mean all changing in raws). In RA2 I remade Forgotten from TS by few days.
Ah, I see. You figured out how to edit game data text files and now you think all modding works like that. Editing game data text files is incredibly easy. If any of the mod ideas you posted required only editing such files, I would have said "one hour or so" in my estimate. But I said stuff like "a year" and "six months", and there's a very good reason for that: your ideas cannot be implemented just by changing data files. All your ideas have some aspect to them that would require writing some Java code. Now here's the deal: writing Java code that makes Minecraft properly do what you want it to do is much much harder and slower than just messing with some data files, especially since Minecraft was not written with mods in mind, just like the skyscraper from my analogy wasn't built on rails.

Consider the Baubles mod, which does something very similar to the four-layer armor thing you suggested. Read through its several thousand lines of source code and commit history and tell me how anyone could write, test and bugfix that mod in under three months.

Here's another analogy until you get the point: If you went to the car repair shop and asked the mechanic "hey can you change my tires" he'd say "yeah sure, come back tomorrow and I'll be done, tires are designed to be easily replaceable". If instead you asked the mechanic "hey can you make it so my car can drive underwater," he'd start telling you why that's incredibly difficult for a large amount of reasons, and that you can't just quickly replace some car bits with submarine bits and add some duct tape. And you know what? The mechanic would be correct. He knows a lot about cars, more than you. You should believe the mechanic.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20663 on: December 28, 2020, 04:33:33 pm »

The other thing is, from my understanding, the earlier Minecraft systems were coded fairly poorly. I don't know if they've been reworked, but if they haven't then anything affecting those will be a bastard to deal with because any attempts to get navigate around them will be even more hacky than usual mod stuff.

Minecraft wasn't really originally made with mods in mind.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20664 on: December 30, 2020, 02:46:27 pm »

The other thing is, from my understanding, the earlier Minecraft systems were coded fairly poorly. I don't know if they've been reworked, but if they haven't then anything affecting those will be a bastard to deal with because any attempts to get navigate around them will be even more hacky than usual mod stuff.

Will be simpler to create better coded clone on Minecraft?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20665 on: December 30, 2020, 04:16:15 pm »

Sure, if you have the skills to do so or the money to hire someone.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20666 on: December 30, 2020, 04:50:08 pm »

That's what the Bedrock (console/Win10) version is. (And it is not as moddable as the Java version as a result.)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 04:51:44 pm by Niveras »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #20667 on: January 01, 2021, 08:44:14 am »

yeah I'm thoroughly unimpressed. beekeeping is completely out of all other in game mechanics and look&feel, so much that it looks some amateur hour mod. the new resources add no much more in terms of what you could do before, and albeit copper aging is nice for builder, we just had a way to make colored stuff in game, so just add to that.

the rest is just noise and resource sinks, like pigman trading.

meanwhile player's been asking to build upon the game basics for ages in a way that unlocks more possibilities (i.e. dispenser that plants seed) but no, here's donkeys

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20668 on: January 01, 2021, 02:41:22 pm »

For the dispensers planting seeds thing, that's interesting, but we do actually already have automatic seed planting in the form of villagers. I actually like that villagers are how you automatically plant seeds instead of dispensers because you get to be more crafty with the systems you design.

Though I agree with you on principle. Mostly I'd like more mobs with novel mechanics. And perhaps more redstone stuff too.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20669 on: January 01, 2021, 03:09:44 pm »

I actually like that villagers are how you automatically plant seeds instead of dispensers because you get to be more crafty with the systems you design.
If only they could put stuff in chests when they're inventory is full.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.
Pages: 1 ... 1376 1377 [1378] 1379 1380