Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2338058 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4815 on: September 29, 2010, 09:44:36 pm »

Dammit, I keep losing materials to the multiplayer chest deletion bug. So today I tried something and found that if you're lucky you could get unlimited resources by dropping a resource on the lag copy and picking it back up before it  disappears. It's a gamble because it'll randomly just disappear so you could lose the resource. Now I find I'm working chests like slot machines now.
 And finding that I apparently have a gambling addiction.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: September 29, 2010, 09:48:21 pm »

Now I find I'm working chests like slot machines now.  And finding that I apparently have a gambling addiction.

Notch is a tricksy one he is.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4817 on: September 29, 2010, 10:38:06 pm »

Dammit, I keep losing materials to the multiplayer chest deletion bug. So today I tried something and found that if you're lucky you could get unlimited resources by dropping a resource on the lag copy and picking it back up before it  disappears. It's a gamble because it'll randomly just disappear so you could lose the resource. Now I find I'm working chests like slot machines now.
 And finding that I apparently have a gambling addiction.

You don't have to drop it back on the lag copy.  If you are fast enough, and the server is lagging enough, you can set the original back in your inventory and pick up the copy once it appears.  Still risky though since a single misclick means you've lost up to a full stack.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4818 on: September 29, 2010, 10:45:01 pm »

Regarding the whole price thing, what's more important to me as someone who likes to play games is not entirely the price, but if it's worth spending that much. Is it worth it at it's full price sans sale, or would it be more worth it if it were on sale?

If I learned anything from a minor (yeah right) fiasco I had with Steam, it was that much of the games I got because they were on sale was more because they were on sale, and not that all of them were necessarily good games (not saying I have a lack of taste when it comes to games). What I mean is, I got a few 10 dollar games that were worth more my money than some of those 20-50 dollar games (which I got on sale for up to half or even 75% their base price) I spent on.

So to put it, simple games like VVVVVV, Audiosurf, and Plants Vs. Zombies I had more fun with (and a bit of replayability) than fighting with my graphics card (or the complexity) with pricier games like Crysis and Bioshock and such. Simply put, paying for a full Minecraft account right now is worth it. Had more fun than what I've been doing in the free (and creative-only) mode. Plus, I can have a custom character made. I'm also enjoying the new features that creep in every once in awhile. Just as long as they don't make craters in a beautiful setup.

EDIT:
And speaking of beautiful setups, my front door area got blasted by a creeper when I wasn't looking. Lost a chunk of land, had to salvage some of my flora (plus cactii guard), and kill some fauna killing my other flora (AKA, my stash) However, I did finally get around to moving on over to the Greater Mines project site, so I also have another spawn point made. I finished the dock and the long pathway to there as well.

I only have the frontside made, but I do have a somewhat working Im/Ex made for the docks, so if I need any material ASAP, I can always tinker around with this; and with the spawn points setup, it should make Im/Ex-ing much easier to pull off as well if/when needed.

I may have to re-think where I'm placing the Great Lighthouse however. I did alternatively add a compass station near my spawnpoint to serve as a way of pointing where my landmarks are from my home point. It seems to work well, though as it stands, it's not a complete compass.

Additional projects I have been thinking about is that I noticed a couple cliffs that overlook the river that I think I can make carvings on that are reasonably large enough. Of course, I'll need to observe them from the river to make sure they will work. Then I'd have to decide on what to carve, and them work on the monument. Another project idea I have in mind is constructing monuments that are optical illusions, whether visible from a certain vantage point (like the entrance/exit of a location, or from the compass) or from "God's perspective" IE-Cartograph-rendering.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 10:55:32 pm by Itnetlolor »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: September 29, 2010, 11:34:39 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkDVizo9mrY

Animal cruelty has never been so fun. Or hilarious.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: September 29, 2010, 11:36:42 pm »

Also, could you link where the guy put the perpetual motion minecarts video?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: September 29, 2010, 11:43:24 pm »

Also, could you link where the guy put the perpetual motion minecarts video?

I may have given the wrong name. I believe I said jx23 earlier, but it's actually Arm4g3dd0nX. Perpetual minecarts.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4822 on: September 29, 2010, 11:49:52 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkDVizo9mrY

Animal cruelty has never been so fun. Or hilarious.
That'll show them for trampling over my farms.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: September 30, 2010, 12:47:59 am »

I really hope that the bad minecart physics don't go away as I've based so much of the system on boosters and such. Maybe if powered minecarts didn't suck so much, I'd be less scared about losing the bugged physics.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: September 30, 2010, 01:04:11 am »

I really hope that the bad minecart physics don't go away as I've based so much of the system on boosters and such. Maybe if powered minecarts didn't suck so much, I'd be less scared about losing the bugged physics.
Minecarts are so much investment for so little reward IMO
Thank you based dwarf.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: September 30, 2010, 01:17:31 am »

That just shows you don't know how to use them :P Powered ones are useless, yeah, but I use boosted minecarts constantly, they shave huge chunks off my travel time.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4826 on: September 30, 2010, 01:29:02 am »

I intend to use minecarts eventually in order to have a quick shuttle service to my more major landmarks. Especially if I go more inland. Of course, I intend to make it more like a subway system. If I come across any caverns, I'll try to make them scenic.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: September 30, 2010, 01:33:33 am »

That just shows you don't know how to use them :P Powered ones are useless, yeah, but I use boosted minecarts constantly, they shave huge chunks off my travel time.

Are we playing survival mode?
I don't have alot of iron and what I do I use for making pickaxes :/
Thank you based dwarf.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: September 30, 2010, 02:05:44 am »

Use rock pickaxes man, only keep one iron for diamond/redstone. The digging time isn't that much longer, and iron is too useful as everything else. That said, I find absolute shite loads of the stuff while I'm digging... maybe try digging lower down? I find that by the time I hit the redstone layer, I'm finding iron in about 40% of the ore deposits I hit.

Here's my mine system. You can see why I use alot of carts though. I eventually plan on completing the circle and adding more radial connectors. Also, see if you can spot my goof up :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: September 30, 2010, 02:41:19 am »

ok cool, as I am exploring these caves I wish changing torch color was a feature 
Thank you based dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 1380