Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1255 1256 [1257] 1258 1259 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2338441 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18840 on: September 17, 2014, 06:35:17 pm »

New decorations are the best bit IMO. It means you can add lots more variety to buildings and the like. And with Efficiency enchants and a Haste beacon, "block-by-block" starts to lose meaning.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18841 on: September 17, 2014, 06:39:25 pm »

So apparently Minecraft doesn't like it when you try to make a block look like another block by fucking around with NBT stuff and the /give command. Laptop shut itself off shortly after that experiment.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18842 on: September 21, 2014, 12:13:41 pm »

I'm working on a private modpack + map for a server I'll (hopefully) be hosting soonish. Could use some suggestions on the last unfinished part of it!

See, it's using Hardcore Quest Mode to speed up the early game/introduce people to some lesser-used mods. No huge questlines and the rewards are mostly made to skip some of the more expensive bits of getting started. (Like giving out a bunch of smeltery blocks, the AE2 presses, thaumcraft shards, etc.) And I WANT to use this to create a special mystcraft age: Linked to the spawn area by a portal, I want a PvP age, with pranks heavily encouraged - even destructive ones.

So! I could use ideas on how to encourage people to actually use that age, how to reward people for doing amusing things, and most importantly, how to reduce the impact of those pranks. After all, nobody's gonna want to do anything significant in a place where you might randomly get blown up and lose everything. Some way to 'backup' a base would be perfect, but I'd rather not rely on admin tools to undo things.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18843 on: September 21, 2014, 03:21:39 pm »

That's a tough one, dragnar. Not sure how you'd encourage destruction but also protect property. I wish you luck in finding a solution.

I just finished my weekly Minecrafting session with my mom. I finally got her to try mods. We just played for a couple hours on the Big Dig. It was so hard to stop playing. There's just... so much stuff...

At one point near the start I made a grand speech explaining to her all of the amazing things we can build in this modpack while she was bent over the crafting table making something, giving her our options and trying to get her to choose a goal for us to work towards.

Me: "There's combat mechs, power armor, magic teleportation books, pipes and machines, automatic farms, customized tools, and we can even build a rocket ship and go to the moon!"
Mom: "Right. ...How do I make a hoe?"

It figures, this was the one time I wasn't recording. I've been fighting with my video drivers (certain programs don't work with old drivers, so I install newer ones, and several more programs stop working...) and I managed to get RaidCall and Minecraft both working with one set of drivers, but OBS wouldn't start. : / Nevertheless, I spent several minutes gasping for breath with laughter.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18844 on: September 21, 2014, 03:37:55 pm »

Applied Energistics has spacial pylons that can store blocks in a hard drive. They're kind of expensive and hard to make, though.
MFFS would be pretty neat. Protect your stuff by surrounding it with an impenetrable wall!

In order to encourage people to visit the age, you could perhaps turn instability off and give it plentiful ores (can't remember what it's actually called, it's a Mystcraft feature that makes ores spawn in abundance).
Of course, if this is just for a small group, you could say that the 100 blocks or so around spawn are safe, and people are allowed to do whatevs beyond that. It's infinitely easier than finagling with game mechanics, but relies on a degree of not-dickishness from other players.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:40:06 pm by InsanityIncarnate »
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18845 on: September 21, 2014, 03:59:45 pm »

Heh, I'm pretty sure I can rely on a lack of dickishness anyway. MFFS was actually one idea I had, but in a slightly different way - those force fields can be set to build things as well, making self-repairing bases possible. Also thought about making the age into a sort of 'capture the points' type thing, with a number of MFR laser drills scattered about and powered with Creative energy cells.

Frankly, the real question is, "How do I make it fun for people to blow each other up repeatedly". It's just that limiting the consequences of being blown up is the most obvious answer.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18846 on: September 21, 2014, 04:11:27 pm »

Code: (I think this is right) [Select]
/gamerule keepInventory 1

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18847 on: September 21, 2014, 05:00:56 pm »

Maybe reserve the Nether for construction/bases and the overworld for pranks? (or vice versa)
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #18848 on: September 21, 2014, 05:55:07 pm »

I preferred the terrain before biomes were even a thing.

Interesting and memorable landforms were a thing that existed without having to be hardcoded in to exist, like ravines are.
Old worldgen used Perlin Noise.
R.I.P.
So I'm not entirely certain, but I think they actually do still use old worldgen style generation for the 'extreme hills' biomes. And they might also use something like it for the caves still, though I'm not quite sure about that.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18849 on: September 22, 2014, 08:52:11 am »

In my experience extreme hills is just random patches of normal elevation mixed with patches of normal elevation except with y += 20

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18850 on: September 22, 2014, 09:22:46 pm »

Sometimes there are overhangs and interesting mountains, but that's pretty much it.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18851 on: September 23, 2014, 12:48:33 pm »

FYI guys, I've started a thread in the community games subforum for my youtube series which will include some of you as NPCs. If you're interested in being a part of it, go have a look, since my computer can only handle so many of you, and I'll prioritize the ones who post over there.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=144052.0

EDIT: Also, a question. I want to customize the mob sounds for the game, but I cannot for the life of me find any instructions on how to do that (in 1.6.4). I know it's possible because I've seen people use them, but how is this accomplished? Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:06:37 pm by Sappho »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18852 on: September 23, 2014, 02:51:25 pm »

Classically, at least, one would use audiomod, but nowadays I believe sounds are handled under the Forge API, like everything else. Of course, if you're just replacing vanilla sounds, you could manually replace the .ogg files with imposters.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18853 on: September 23, 2014, 03:00:37 pm »

Classically, at least, one would use audiomod, but nowadays I believe sounds are handled under the Forge API, like everything else. Of course, if you're just replacing vanilla sounds, you could manually replace the .ogg files with imposters.

Right, but... where are the vanilla sounds?

I'm using MultiMC, so that might be making it more complicated. Within the "instance" folders, there are definitely no sound files. There are some files in MultiMC]\assets, but there's only one set of files... Are those used for all versions? I have at least 3 different versions installed (with 1.6.4 being the earliest).

Basically, I want to change all the mob sounds to my own custom sounds. I have the software to change/edit them, but I'm not sure which files I should be modifying.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18854 on: September 23, 2014, 03:03:22 pm »

Sounds aren't stored in the game's code. They're in the libraries folder.

Additionally, since the latest updates, I believe texture packs can include custom sounds, if you want easier switchability.
Pages: 1 ... 1255 1256 [1257] 1258 1259 ... 1380