Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1298 1299 [1300] 1301 1302 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2339405 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19485 on: August 10, 2015, 09:26:59 pm »

Anyone remember Glacier?

That was an interesting map.
I think I might remember it, but I'm not sure. Do you remember any other details about the map?
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19486 on: August 11, 2015, 06:13:40 am »

Glacier was a popular seed from when the world gen was different. Lots of overhanging mountains.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19487 on: August 11, 2015, 10:07:22 am »

Glacier was a popular seed from when the world gen was different. Lots of overhanging mountains.
Oh, that's right. I remember that one.

I was trying to think of player-created maps, heh. The one that came to mind was an extremely old and therefore extremely crude (but quite inventive!) adventure map from classic creative that took place in a research facility including a glacial area. But it's probably lost to history now.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19488 on: August 11, 2015, 10:45:38 am »

In my original pre-halloween world, I got a huge mountain in one place that just jutted out of the surrounding countryside almost vertically, to the point of looking like a bug. Was pretty cool, had several waterfalls. That world is gone now, though :c

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #19489 on: August 12, 2015, 03:50:57 am »

Before I remembered the seed, I thought it was a reference to old Jaycraft G3:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No, I'm not conceited at all, I swear
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19490 on: August 13, 2015, 01:21:57 pm »

Captain McClellan's Build server

Build shit in a plot to win neat prizes.

There's rumour of a full server to come later.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #19491 on: August 13, 2015, 02:31:34 pm »

on the topic of impressive world-gen, anyone play with the Realistic World Generation mod by ted80?

Allegedly, it's been around for awhile but, I have been playing Minecraft for years and never heard of it.

Spoiler: screenshots (click to show/hide)

I hate to link a youtubeboob but, still images don't do the mod justice. This guy is a real hooplehead so, just mute the video, sit back and enjoy the scenery.

https://youtu.be/5f7MtMFHs6g

I remember looking at that (or something like it) a few years ago. Very curious to know how well it runs. Also, does it play well with any mods?

I want to try it out but, I just started a new TFC world and I should finish that first.

I imagine, at worst, it runs as well as TFC since TFC has blocks all the way up to y256 and that's really the ceiling (pun intended?).

According to the mods page, it plays swimmingly with almost of all of the popular mods right out the box and only a few need config tweaking. the only incompatible mods, it seems, are the ones trying to do the same thing.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 03:06:48 pm by evilnancyreagan »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #19492 on: August 13, 2015, 02:46:11 pm »

I remember looking at that (or something like it) a few years ago. Very curious to know how well it runs. Also, does it play well with any mods?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19493 on: August 13, 2015, 04:28:01 pm »

RWG is fine with other mods. Supports Biomes o' Plenty too. It has been around for a while, but development seems really slow.
Personally, I don't think it's that great - everything is just really big without much variation.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19494 on: August 13, 2015, 08:44:33 pm »

Wow, RWG looks amazing, i'm actually almost inspired to do a build!!!

EDIT: Sometimes I feel like trying my hand at Westeroscraft, but i'm so spotty when it comes to my videogaming these days that it makes it almost impossible for me to get in with a build group. That's my major gripe with MC, i'd like the game to be more friendly to builders... i'd like to see something like steam workshop for structures, to be voted on by the community. Also, as I mentioned I wish Mojang would give players more tools to create their own gamemodes, hopefully fostering both interest in alternative methods of play (over plain ole survival) as well as a demand for building.

EDITEDIT: Actually sometimes, I just want to be a level designer for videogames.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:15:50 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19495 on: August 14, 2015, 06:54:49 am »

Allegedly, it's been around for awhile but, I have been playing Minecraft for years and never heard of it.
The reason for that is RWG is just the newest version of Better World Gen, which has been around for a long while.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #19496 on: August 14, 2015, 07:06:12 am »

I have a week left before I go off to school... maybe I'll slap together a modpack with Archimede's Ships, RWG, a bunch of mild tech mods, maybe even the dungeons mod and then play flying around in a ship.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19497 on: August 14, 2015, 05:25:24 pm »

Minecraft world generation should really use slabs. One block increments is just too much to make nice hills.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19498 on: August 14, 2015, 05:36:26 pm »

Minecraft world generation should really use slabs. One block increments is just too much to make nice hills.

Honestly, I would like a mod that has some block types turn into appropriately directioned slopes when on an edge.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19499 on: August 21, 2015, 05:06:32 am »

Apparently this has been out for a few months, but I just discovered it yesterday just came out? Or at least, was recently updated? I'm confused, but anyway, it's out and I found it yesterday: Blightfall

I got sucked in immediately and spent the entire rest of the day on it (completely ignoring my adult responsibilities, of course). Basically, it's on a set map on an "alien planet" which is completely covered by Thaumcraft taint. You start out in a protected dome by a silverwood tree and have a quest book to guide you through surviving and taming the planet so colonists can get started here. The quests are quite well done, in a different way than I've seen in other games. The whole system is based around the higher-ups' opinion of you - complete quests and get points, requisition materials and lose them. The map is custom-made and DAMN is it hard. But FUN.

Has anyone else tried this? So far I've managed to do a bit of mining, make some metal armor, start a small farm (also, animals randomly spawn in your dome, which is very helpful since food is a serious issue). I ventured out into the blight once and died almost immediately, then I prepared better and completed a scouting quest - legging it across the terrain until I reached the next "safe" spot (an island in a swamp with a silverwood tree protecting part of it), then painstakingly clearing away the purple muck from the rest of the island to avoid taint sickness.

I'm finding the whole thing really well-made. It's super eerie standing inside a large glass dome with nothing but dark, purple evilness on the outside, watching the blighted pigs and chickens wander by and jumping whenever I hear a taint spider hiss from the top of my dome (they love to stand up there and watch me). Super creepy. I want to figure out how to create more silverwood trees or the little plants that clear away taint (can't remember their names), but I think I have a ways to go before I can do that. Probably going to do some more mining (after work), then give a shot at making it to the nearby abandoned village to see what's there... At least I finally figured out that taint won't spread across cobblestone or planks, so I can start building some things that won't get eaten, outside my little dome.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:10:54 am by Sappho »
Pages: 1 ... 1298 1299 [1300] 1301 1302 ... 1380