Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1367 1368 [1369] 1370 1371 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2339568 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #20520 on: May 28, 2019, 11:23:12 pm »

I've had a craving for Minecraft recently and wanted to run a survival, light RP server based around building distant cities and connecting them via roads and railways. My two main concerns are hosting and mods.

For hosting I'm looking at ShockByte - unless anyone has better recommendations, I'm probably gonna go with that.

For mods, I kinda want to have a few minor additions (adding /sethome and maybe something to make the world a bit more dangerous), but nothing extreme. Any suggestions?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #20521 on: May 29, 2019, 03:07:10 am »

No suggestions but I like the idea
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20522 on: May 30, 2019, 04:11:51 pm »

Been playing this recently. There's a village very close to where I settled. However, I noticed several villagers disappearing. Every time I'd visit, there seemed to be fewer of them. For sure, I counted at least 2 farmers and a few kids(I gave them food so they could breed) definitely disappearing. I tried to fix a few likely culprits, for example boarding up a cave system underneath the village(there's a few other entrances). I also noticed something when I watched the only cleric swap his job for a farmer's hat(ffff- I needed that cleric); the village farm plot was located on a raised platform, and several times the villager tried to climb off it only to land in a campfire. It nearly killed him. I promptly destroyed the campfire, and I've also added some more farmland in a safer spot.

Another problem is that the town bell is located on some kind of rock formation that the edge of the village partially spawned inside of(clearing out a section of it), too high for the villagers to easily reach. I could probably fix that simply by taking and moving the bell.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20523 on: May 30, 2019, 06:35:46 pm »

Villages can die to many things. Cactuses, quicksand (if your mods add it), climbing on roofs and falling etc. Zombie and their siege mechanics are not helping either.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20524 on: May 30, 2019, 07:10:30 pm »

I just throw up a fence around an entire village and light up the inside.

ivanovic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20525 on: May 31, 2019, 04:25:01 am »

I've had a craving for Minecraft recently and wanted to run a survival, light RP server based around building distant cities and connecting them via roads and railways. My two main concerns are hosting and mods.

For hosting I'm looking at ShockByte - unless anyone has better recommendations, I'm probably gonna go with that.

For mods, I kinda want to have a few minor additions (adding /sethome and maybe something to make the world a bit more dangerous), but nothing extreme. Any suggestions?

If you are really interested in a server based around building distant cities and connecting them via roads and railways, I strongly suggest not allowing any kind of teleport... I mean, no /spawn or /home commands, let alone /warps... Otherwise, no one will spend the time and effort to make a road and railway system if no one is going to use it because everyone teleports back and forth... After more than 8 years trying hundreds of servers, the only servers I came across with a good player base consistently building roads and railways are those that don't have any kind of fast travel... For example, nerd.nu and civclassic mentioned above.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 04:26:42 am by ivanovic »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20526 on: May 31, 2019, 05:26:59 am »

Villages can die to many things. Cactuses, quicksand (if your mods add it), climbing on roofs and falling etc. Zombie and their siege mechanics are not helping either.
Suffocating in walls after getting out of bed. (Had this happen to my own self, actually. Supposedly it was fixed after the full 1.14 release, but IDK.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20527 on: May 31, 2019, 08:14:15 am »

There is/was an issue people are complaining about that entities despawn with no known cause. (Yes, even ones with nametags sometimes.) This applies to villagers, animals, even item frames and armor stands.

Only solution thus far is just "don't get too attached."

Supposedly it was fixed in 1.14.2... but I still hear people complaining about it even on that version... so I don't know.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20528 on: May 31, 2019, 10:40:55 pm »

I finally killed the Enderdragon for the first time.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20529 on: May 31, 2019, 11:17:51 pm »

I finally killed the Enderdragon for the first time.

Nice, that takes some serious work. I've never even gotten there.

If you are really interested in a server based around building distant cities and connecting them via roads and railways, I strongly suggest not allowing any kind of teleport... I mean, no /spawn or /home commands, let alone /warps... Otherwise, no one will spend the time and effort to make a road and railway system if no one is going to use it because everyone teleports back and forth... After more than 8 years trying hundreds of servers, the only servers I came across with a good player base consistently building roads and railways are those that don't have any kind of fast travel... For example, nerd.nu and civclassic mentioned above.

That's a good point, it would defeat the purpose.

I've got a server up and running at 51.77.45.161:25590, if anyone wants to join me. I'm currently building a little cabin/fort near the spawn point to act as the central hub for future roads. I'll probably make a thread once it's further along.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #20530 on: June 01, 2019, 11:08:46 am »

Went to check the server out.

Seems like it's going all right so far. A little farm of sorts has been set up by the river and the like.

Might try to build the place up if I get the time.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20531 on: June 02, 2019, 07:13:49 am »

Tried to join server, but I think you need to update it or something? It's saying it's on 1.14, I'm on 1.14.2.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #20532 on: June 02, 2019, 09:16:10 am »

It's possible to play older versions of Minecraft through the Minecraft launcher.

Open it up, go into "Launch Options", then click "Add New".

You'll see a new configuration appearing, with things for name, version, window resolution, and game directory.

Name this new configuration whatever you want. You can change it later if you don't like the one you have at the moment.

Open up "Version" and select "release 1.14".

Resolution settings can be enabled by clicking on the button to the left of it. Choose whatever you want.

Ditto for Game Directory.

Note that this new configuration will have its own saves, resource packs folder, and server list.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20533 on: June 02, 2019, 03:21:11 pm »

I forgot how good of a feeling it is to log back on and see more stuff built than when I left. It's nice.

Araph, you running any mods or pure vanilla?

Pure vanilla, at the moment.

Tried to join server, but I think you need to update it or something? It's saying it's on 1.14, I'm on 1.14.2.

Yeah, it's on an older version. I should probably get that changed at some point, if it doesn't break the save.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20534 on: June 03, 2019, 10:39:55 am »

It's possible to play older versions of Minecraft through the Minecraft launcher.

Open it up, go into "Launch Options", then click "Add New".

You'll see a new configuration appearing, with things for name, version, window resolution, and game directory.

Name this new configuration whatever you want. You can change it later if you don't like the one you have at the moment.

Open up "Version" and select "release 1.14".

Resolution settings can be enabled by clicking on the button to the left of it. Choose whatever you want.

Ditto for Game Directory.

Note that this new configuration will have its own saves, resource packs folder, and server list.

Cool, that must be relatively new - I didn't know about it. Thanks!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 1367 1368 [1369] 1370 1371 ... 1380