Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1371 1372 [1373] 1374 1375 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2334636 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #20580 on: September 29, 2019, 02:19:28 pm »

Lazy programming.

it's actually a great design feature, it gates player from these areas until they are ready to move on.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20581 on: September 29, 2019, 02:35:39 pm »

Check out the planned Nether Update! Looks cool.
https://www.windowscentral.com/minecraft-nether-update

Meh, another update that doesn't hold my interest... But well, I've always had the opinion that the multidimensional approach adding the Nether and the End was a bad move by Notch. I mean, if you had a game with an almost infinite world bigger than the planet Neptune, why on Earth do you need to add more dimensions? Yeah, because it's easier to start a new Java class than working on the existing ones. Lazy programming.

I would say it actually makes more sense to have layers comprising independent worlds with their own functionally infinite space than to try to somehow fit completely alien landscapes into the default world.

Although I guess you could expand the 256 y limit. The nether would then become 256y under 0, the end 256y above 255. Although 256 itself is limited, even within default itself.

I'd still like to see a "realistic" worldgen. Something that could produce continents with like that of Blightfall, that are then tiled to fill the world, would be nice.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20582 on: September 29, 2019, 04:36:20 pm »

There was a very old mod that actually did this, somewhat. It would add the Nether 'under' the overworld. It was a really hacky mod and didn't work well but rather than hitting bedrock as you dug down you'd hit a layer of lava and then if you got through that you'd break into the top of the Nether. It also had a sort of cloud world above.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20583 on: September 29, 2019, 06:45:08 pm »

I think I've heard something similar used in some expert packs, whether skyblock or worldgen. It wasn't a seamless transition though, instead falling into the void below 0 would teleport you to the nether. Only it wouldn't bring you to 255, you'd pop in at a random elevation, which might involve falling right into a lava lake.

ivanovic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20584 on: September 30, 2019, 03:51:17 am »

Lazy programming.

it's actually a great design feature, it gates player from these areas until they are ready to move on.

There are other design features way more elegant to prevent players from going to a higher level area while maintaining a cohesive world... You can see it in many games... Generally, gamers like seamless transitions and dislike loading screens, hub worlds, instantiated areas, and things like that... The reason is simple: people like to feel immersed in a fantasy world, and all that loading screens and separate areas break the immersion.

I would say it actually makes more sense to have layers comprising independent worlds with their own functionally infinite space than to try to somehow fit completely alien landscapes into the default world.

Although I guess you could expand the 256 y limit. The nether would then become 256y under 0, the end 256y above 255. Although 256 itself is limited, even within default itself.

I'd still like to see a "realistic" worldgen. Something that could produce continents with like that of Blightfall, that are then tiled to fill the world, would be nice.

Yeah, that would have been a nice solution... Instead of the current chunks of 16x16 and 256 blocks tall, something like cubic chunks that make worlds with a virtually infinite height limit... This way you could have different layers of difficulty, with the Nether as the deepest layer and the End as the highest... There are interesting ways to prevent players from going too deep prematurely, like adding layers of different stones with different hardnesses, like in the mod Better Than Wolves.

But well, as I say, Notch went for the easy design approach, which is making a new Java class and call it "Nether" without bothering about world cohesion... I don't blame him, it's hard to make a game so complex like Minecraft being only one developer or two (I don't know if Jens Bergensten was working with him already at that time).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 04:04:20 am by ivanovic »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #20585 on: September 30, 2019, 05:04:57 am »

There are other design features way more elegant to prevent players from going to a higher level area while maintaining a cohesive world... You can see it in many games... Generally, gamers like seamless transitions and dislike loading screens, hub worlds, instantiated areas, and things like that... The reason is simple: people like to feel immersed in a fantasy world, and all that loading screens and separate areas break the immersion.

except there's no loading screen and the rest is just like, your opinion

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #20586 on: September 30, 2019, 08:02:55 am »

I think there's an incredibly brief loading screen? But I've never heard of anyone complaining.

Personally I don't think it breaks immersion that when entering a portal with swirling purple vortexes on a trip to an alternate hellish dimension one does not arrive instantaneously. It's not like a loading screen between, say, a house and the garden.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20587 on: September 30, 2019, 09:17:29 am »

Try the better portals mod if you want a seamless transition to the Nether/End or other dimension mods if supported.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/betterportals

Be warned, it is rough on your computer. Too many portals in one area can cause significant tick/render lag.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20588 on: September 30, 2019, 07:48:39 pm »

There is a loading screen, and it's extremely long with heavier modpacks.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20589 on: September 30, 2019, 08:47:47 pm »

There is a loading screen, and it's extremely long with heavier modpacks.
That is not really Mojang's fault though

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20590 on: October 01, 2019, 07:05:18 am »

Yeah, you can't complain about long load times when you stuff a hundred mods into the mix. The vanilla load time is very short.

ivanovic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20591 on: October 01, 2019, 07:53:06 am »

Guys, you are missing the point... The point is: Dwarf Fortress wouldn't be a game so good if instead of one single world with different biomes and areas, you had 3 separate worlds: one for good and low-savagery regions, another one with neutral and medium-savagery regions, another one for evil and high-savagery regions, and you had to travel to these worlds through portals...

The same is true for Terraria: imagine you could only dig 60 blocks deep, and the lower underground parts were in another separate dimension and only could be accessed throught a portal...

And the same is true for most games.

The multidimensional approarch is lazy design and lazy programming... The problem is that Minecraft has been such a massive success that most people can't accept that the game would have been better with a one-dimensional single-world design.

ivanovic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20592 on: October 01, 2019, 07:53:53 am »

Repeated.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20593 on: October 01, 2019, 07:58:09 am »

The point is: Dwarf Fortress wouldn't be a game so good if instead of one single world with different biomes and areas, you had 3 separate worlds: one for good and low-savagery regions, another one with neutral and medium-savagery regions, another one for evil and high-savagery regions, and you had to travel to these worlds through portals...
Dwarf Fortress, for all of its complexity, only keeps track of a very small slice of the world. Everything off map is abstracted into data. Minecraft must save and recall the exact state of every plant and block you've ever generated as you run around, while DF (In fort mode) is limited to a single embark (Adventure mode is different, but largely turn-based so you don't notice). The fidelity of DF is also somewhat less, as minecraft tracks blocks in 1 meter squares. The exact height and dimensions of each 'tile' in DF has not to my knowledge been determined but it is certainly larger than 1 meter. The two systems are not really comparable in terms of data processing or requirements.

ivanovic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20594 on: October 01, 2019, 08:18:16 am »

The point is: Dwarf Fortress wouldn't be a game so good if instead of one single world with different biomes and areas, you had 3 separate worlds: one for good and low-savagery regions, another one with neutral and medium-savagery regions, another one for evil and high-savagery regions, and you had to travel to these worlds through portals...
Dwarf Fortress, for all of its complexity, only keeps track of a very small slice of the world. Everything off map is abstracted into data. Minecraft must save and recall the exact state of every plant and block you've ever generated as you run around, while DF (In fort mode) is limited to a single embark (Adventure mode is different, but largely turn-based so you don't notice). The fidelity of DF is also somewhat less, as minecraft tracks blocks in 1 meter squares. The exact height and dimensions of each 'tile' in DF has not to my knowledge been determined but it is certainly larger than 1 meter. The two systems are not really comparable in terms of data processing or requirements.

That's irrelevant... Minecraft only loads a certain radius of chunks around the player, it doesn't need to load the entire world at once.
Pages: 1 ... 1371 1372 [1373] 1374 1375 ... 1380