Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1372 1373 [1374] 1375 1376 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2323864 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #20595 on: October 01, 2019, 08:52:38 am »

Going through portals to get to other planes of existence has been a thing in fiction for longer than I care to determine. If these fun stories are wrong because some dude on the internet said so, I don't want to be right.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20596 on: October 01, 2019, 09:35:42 am »

That's irrelevant... Minecraft only loads a certain radius of chunks around the player, it doesn't need to load the entire world at once.
I didn't say it needed to load all of that at once? I said it needs to save it and be able to load it at any time. I'm not sure why I bother, the difficulty of doing this in code is clearly lost on you. This isn't lazy, it's prudent. The game was written for 2009 hardware. The hardware at the time couldn't handle what you're talking about, and modern hardware wouldn't be able to handle it well either.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20597 on: October 01, 2019, 10:51:02 am »

Going through portals to get to other planes of existence has been a thing in fiction for longer than I care to determine. If these fun stories are wrong because some dude on the internet said so, I don't want to be right.

Very quotable, good sir. Nice.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #20598 on: October 01, 2019, 12:52:44 pm »

That's irrelevant... Minecraft only loads a certain radius of chunks around the player, it doesn't need to load the entire world at once.

what it does technically is irrelevant, what the player feels is a seamless world the size of earth, freely walkable without loading screens, that's what matters. the nether being behind portal is a design decision, nothing much, you're reading way too much into it like you've been married too your opinion too long to recognize it's bullshit.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 12:55:50 pm by LoSboccacc »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #20599 on: October 01, 2019, 10:22:38 pm »

Come on...  spirit of calm!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #20600 on: October 01, 2019, 11:23:02 pm »

Quote from: Arthur Ashe
Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome.

Arthur Ashe was an idiot.
Journeys are boring. I'd much rather take a portal-shortcut and get straight to the good stuff.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20601 on: October 02, 2019, 06:40:20 am »

Wow, what did I miss?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20602 on: October 02, 2019, 06:54:29 am »

Wow, what did I miss?
Hammers, a loading screen, and the face of God.

So, the usual.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20603 on: October 02, 2019, 08:02:56 am »

Neat.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20604 on: October 08, 2019, 08:04:53 pm »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20605 on: November 17, 2019, 05:01:24 am »

So I started playing the dungeons, dragons, and space shuttles mod pack, and noticed a slight detail that makes this very hard.

If there is a blood moon, everything will explode.

I don't know what caused it, but I had a little box of a house and as I was waiting out the blood moon by digging a mine, I hear endless explosions. Eventually, it becomes day and I go up to find a crater maybe 50 blocks diameter. Half my house is gone.

What happened? Should I just hide underground for the rest of eternity just in case I lose everything to a blood moon? Doesn't this make any attempt at a mob grinder (something the pack seems to want you to make) suicidal?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20606 on: November 17, 2019, 06:33:51 am »

I tried DDSS myself and I never experienced that, although I am not sure if I ever even experienced a blood moon in my time.

I don't think I even got to the end of the "introductory" page before I said "screw that." The modpack seemed tuned to be about an order of magnitude harder than I wanted out of an expert pack, mainly in the tedium that is the artisan worktables and the fact that nearly every machine, and no few tools, needed to use them - and future autocrafting systems, like AE, cannot interact with them. I recall asking and was told that the carpenter machine (from forestry) can substitute for some recipes, but you never really get away from having to use the tables.

If that also came with the idea that blood moons now obliterate any player structures? Nope.jpg.

Although I can't find anything about bloodmoons and explosions in google so I'm not sure I can confirm what you experienced. It is possible people just make sure to claim their base area through FTB utilities (creepers can't damage claimed chunks), or turn off mob griefing completely, or do some other things to mitigate creeper damage (add mods to adjust creeper effects and behavior, etc).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 07:00:39 am by Niveras »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20607 on: November 17, 2019, 07:06:26 am »

Hmmmm, didn't try to claim chunks. Perhaps they intended I do. Normally I would assume they would mention that given the unknown source of a warzone that goes on with bloodmoons. (A thought just crossed my mind. Possible wither spawns? It would explain the constant explosions, and the crater as it just shoots at everything in range as it keeps spawning.)

As for tedium, I'm actually finding it less tedious than most other packs. I don't have to punch stone with my fists or plant 5000 dirt trees for hours to begin the most basic of automation. The worst thing I've experienced is that I will actually have to start strip mining for copper soon.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20608 on: March 30, 2020, 08:37:03 am »

TIL about Minecraft Dungeons, a Minecraft-themed ARPG that's supposed to come out in April. It looks surprisingly okay and I've been looking for something to dump time into so that's going to happen as soon as I'm able.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 08:42:49 am by Mephisto »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20609 on: March 31, 2020, 05:38:22 am »

New mob from nether update is kinda lame looking:

Feels like they're running out of ideas.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 1372 1373 [1374] 1375 1376 ... 1380