Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2341911 times)

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #20640 on: December 26, 2020, 06:58:12 pm »

Minecraft modders, please, send me PM! I have some ideas, but cannot write Java.
Yes you can. If your idea is good, pay someone to make it or make it yourself. Noone is going to dedicate months or years of their own life for free for your idea.
Month? Some hours it will need.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20641 on: December 26, 2020, 07:16:32 pm »

It already takes hours of effort to write and publish a mod that does literally nothing. So if your mod idea can really be implemented in such a short time, there is no need to be secretive about it and you can just post your idea here.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20642 on: December 26, 2020, 07:23:41 pm »

There is no shortage of idea people.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20643 on: December 27, 2020, 10:19:19 am »

Minecraft modders, please, send me PM! I have some ideas, but cannot write Java.
Yes you can. If your idea is good, pay someone to make it or make it yourself. Noone is going to dedicate months or years of their own life for free for your idea.
If it just takes a few hours, go do it yourself. Or post your idea and maybe someone else will.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20644 on: December 27, 2020, 10:33:57 am »

It already takes hours of effort to write and publish a mod that does literally nothing. So if your mod idea can really be implemented in such a short time, there is no need to be secretive about it and you can just post your idea here.
If have no effect, why you write it?

I have more than one idea. Mod that change inventory into infinite amount of cells (for using with mods that adds weight). Mod that absolutely remove XP and add skill system with training by actual ingame actions (that system also will be used for further mods). Mod that adds new equipping system, with four layers of armor and slots for jewelry. Modular mod LA SAIGI, with modules called as one of seven sins. Mod with some special magic, where you train your powers in one of seven magic spheres by doing non-magical actions, but related with this spheres. Mod that adds cogs and more redstone functions to them. Simple mod of some industry that not change worldgen at all (golden wires, uranium from redstone). Simple mod that adds coins for trading. Simple remodelling mod, that make horse model simpler and rework shields. Joke mod that add roaches (retextured silverfish). Port of old TobaccoCraft from 1.2.5 version.

But I prefer older versions of game. No newer than 1.7.10, but I think 1.5.2 is better.
If it just takes a few hours, go do it yourself. Or post your idea and maybe someone else will.
I cannot mod in java. For making mod by myself, I need better moddable files (like DF RAWs or C&C ini) or program that will compile mods for me.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20645 on: December 27, 2020, 11:47:49 am »

That long list of ideas you posted is definitely not "some hours". I don't even know how to code in Java, but it will take way more than that just to define exactly how those systems will have to work, much less implement them.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20646 on: December 27, 2020, 01:11:21 pm »

I have more than one idea. Mod that change inventory into infinite amount of cells (for using with mods that adds weight). Mod that absolutely remove XP and add skill system with training by actual ingame actions (that system also will be used for further mods). Mod that adds new equipping system, with four layers of armor and slots for jewelry. Modular mod LA SAIGI, with modules called as one of seven sins. Mod with some special magic, where you train your powers in one of seven magic spheres by doing non-magical actions, but related with this spheres. Mod that adds cogs and more redstone functions to them. Simple mod of some industry that not change worldgen at all (golden wires, uranium from redstone). Simple mod that adds coins for trading. Simple remodelling mod, that make horse model simpler and rework shields. Joke mod that add roaches (retextured silverfish). Port of old TobaccoCraft from 1.2.5 version.

But I prefer older versions of game. No newer than 1.7.10, but I think 1.5.2 is better.
Some of your ideas could be done without even a bit of coding. You can add new objects (coins for trading) without touching code at all. Have you worked out precisely how these systems will work? Mods like some of what you describe start out as a few weeks of work in documentation first before the first code is ever written, working out every detail of how they will function. All of that work is stuff you could do before you contact and pay a programmer.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20647 on: December 27, 2020, 04:05:31 pm »

How much time would a full time modder (40 hours per week) require to implement your mod ideas? Here are some time estimates:

Mod that change inventory into infinite amount of cells (for using with mods that adds weight).
One year but it won't be compatible with any other mods.

Mod that absolutely remove XP and add skill system with training by actual ingame actions (that system also will be used for further mods)
Three months.

Mod that adds new equipping system, with four layers of armor and slots for jewelry.
Two months.

Mod with some special magic, where you train your powers in one of seven magic spheres by doing non-magical actions, but related with this spheres.
Scope is unclear, but at least three months.

Mod that adds cogs and more redstone functions to them.
One month.

Simple mod of some industry that not change worldgen at all (golden wires, uranium from redstone).
Six months.

Simple mod that adds coins for trading.
Two days.

Simple remodelling mod, that make horse model simpler and rework shields.
Three days if you only change the actual models. One month if you want to change anything about the animations.

Joke mod that add roaches (retextured silverfish).
One week.

Port of old TobaccoCraft from 1.2.5 version.
Two weeks.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20648 on: December 27, 2020, 04:16:05 pm »

I feel like you're making these estimates based off how long it would take to implement if this (Minecraft) were your own project, in which case they seem about right, but writing mods is a bit of a different beast. Time more depends on how many things your mod interacts with. Like adding coins for trading. (I'm assuming this means sort of replacing emeralds.) On top of just adding the coins for trading you might modify the world generation of villagers to make them use coins instead of emeralds. With the new workplace blocks you might modify the code that runs when a villager claims one of those. Plus code for unlocking new trades. If the code in place is not already nice and modular you're looking at revamping half of all villager code to date.

Roaches on the other hand can probably be done in like an afternoon, possibly with just a datapack.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20649 on: December 27, 2020, 04:37:00 pm »

I thought coding was magic and the codewizards (also known as sourcerers) could whip up entire new mechanics in an afternoon of binging on coffee and adderall. /s

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20650 on: December 27, 2020, 04:42:03 pm »

Don't forget the alcohol. The best sourcerers can dial in on a BAC of about .13 and reach truly superhuman ability.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20651 on: December 27, 2020, 05:02:24 pm »

I thought coding was magic and the codewizards (also known as sourcerers) could whip up entire new mechanics in an afternoon of binging on coffee and adderall. /s
This https://ftbwiki.org/Thaumic_Bases_1 mod was done very fast.

Some of your ideas could be done without even a bit of coding. You can add new objects (coins for trading) without touching code at all. Have you worked out precisely how these systems will work? Mods like some of what you describe start out as a few weeks of work in documentation first before the first code is ever written, working out every detail of how they will function. All of that work is stuff you could do before you contact and pay a programmer.
How mod without coding?
That long list of ideas you posted is definitely not "some hours". I don't even know how to code in Java, but it will take way more than that just to define exactly how those systems will have to work, much less implement them.
Add cogs and just move all redstone functions to them - will take less than hour, I think.
How much time would a full time modder (40 hours per week) require to implement your mod ideas? Here are some time estimates:

Mod that change inventory into infinite amount of cells (for using with mods that adds weight).
One year but it won't be compatible with any other mods.

Mod that absolutely remove XP and add skill system with training by actual ingame actions (that system also will be used for further mods)
Three months.

Mod that adds new equipping system, with four layers of armor and slots for jewelry.
Two months.

Mod with some special magic, where you train your powers in one of seven magic spheres by doing non-magical actions, but related with this spheres.
Scope is unclear, but at least three months.

Mod that adds cogs and more redstone functions to them.
One month.

Simple mod of some industry that not change worldgen at all (golden wires, uranium from redstone).
Six months.

Simple mod that adds coins for trading.
Two days.

Simple remodelling mod, that make horse model simpler and rework shields.
Three days if you only change the actual models. One month if you want to change anything about the animations.

Joke mod that add roaches (retextured silverfish).
One week.

Port of old TobaccoCraft from 1.2.5 version.
Two weeks.
I already have new model for horse, so this shall be faster. All your other counts looks unrealistic for me too.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20652 on: December 27, 2020, 05:16:24 pm »

Oh boy, completely remaking all redstone will take more than an hour, I think. More than a year most likely. Remember that if you make some sort of big change to a game mechanic you will need to rewrite that mechanic nearly from scratch. Notch and Mojang programmers are professionals and redstone took them years to develop incrementally.

It's all good that you have ideas for mods, but I would suggest starting with something a little smaller. You could make cogs be able to transmit redstone signals like redstone dust, for example. Or the roaches thing. Try to get some general Java and modding experience first.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 05:23:38 pm by bloop_bleep »
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20653 on: December 27, 2020, 05:39:39 pm »

I feel like you're making these estimates based off how long it would take to implement if this (Minecraft) were your own project, in which case they seem about right, but writing mods is a bit of a different beast. Time more depends on how many things your mod interacts with. Like adding coins for trading. (I'm assuming this means sort of replacing emeralds.) On top of just adding the coins for trading you might modify the world generation of villagers to make them use coins instead of emeralds. With the new workplace blocks you might modify the code that runs when a villager claims one of those. Plus code for unlocking new trades. If the code in place is not already nice and modular you're looking at revamping half of all villager code to date.

Roaches on the other hand can probably be done in like an afternoon, possibly with just a datapack.

I *am* making those estimates based on writing a mod, which is why the inventory resize is by far the longest project of them all, it would require registering a lot of very invasive hooks. If a Mojang employee had to rework inventory sizes, I'd estimate it would still take six months. Actually, writing a Bukkit plugin for inventory extension might only take a month or even less if you hack the rightmost three slots of your main inventory to act as an inventory scrollbar. Incredibly ugly but it would do the job.

The emeralds-to-coins rework should be just a few coin item definitions plus a datapack, changing some trade tables and loot tables. Adding a new bankier villager type would take significantly longer, of course. My estimate on the roaches is because I interpreted the mod idea as adding roaches to the game based on silverfish instead of literally just reskinning silverfish.

Add cogs and just move all redstone functions to them - will take less than hour, I think.

I'm not really sure how to convey the scale of how wrong you are. Maybe by analogy? Imagine you were an architect and someone asked you "hey can you move this skyscraper a foot to the left? can you be done by tomorrow? it's only a foot!"

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20654 on: December 27, 2020, 05:58:12 pm »

Ia Riaktor, I think you might be under the misconception that games in their released form are like a neat web where you can put components in and out like you're swapping out drives connected by USB. Games in their source form are closer to that, though not totally, but for game releases imagine a statue made out of stone which you're trying to mold into a different shape with a chisel and a hammer. You can't easily mold an arm into a wing by pressing; usually you just chisel out the arm, make a wing, and then glue it into the gap. That's like modding. Occasionally the arm is supporting a bunch of other stuff so you deal with those connections too. If it's big or closer to the middle it's harder to modify it.