Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A very small thing that would improve my life considerably  (Read 2312 times)

Aosher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A very small thing that would improve my life considerably
« on: April 17, 2009, 09:26:18 am »

I searched for this and didn't find it, so apologies if it's a repeat.

Would it be possible to make workshops rotatable when building them? I know that I could overcome this with some semblance of actual planning, but I keep accidentally blocking off access to my Jewellers' workshops. And even if I wasn't inept, sometimes laying out my workshops in nice efficient and aesthetically pleasing patterns requires tetris-like shuffling and placing. I guess what I'm saying is that being able to rotate my workshops while placing them would make my socks roll up and down, but seeing as we can already do that for catapults and ballistae I hope that it would be pretty straightforward to implement.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: A very small thing that would improve my life considerably
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 09:46:41 am »

The workshops are 3x3 so at first I was like "what?" but I understand what you mean. Placing several workshops in the same room can be tricky if you can't rotate them so I support this suggestion.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 09:58:05 am »

It's one of the benefits of the workshop rooms idea to eliminate that problem. Eternal voting entry, thread. Of course rotating them might be a good temporary measure, if the code is reusable. Ultimately I'd like to make catapult by placing mechanical parts, so they can be adapted to available materials, available space, tactical considerations, etc.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 12:16:53 pm »

Anything that could conceivably have a directionality could then be rotated by this code. Adding a bit of directionality to workshops would be a small bit of unusable code, but would help a lot while we wait and pray for workshop-rooms.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 12:42:59 pm »

Anything that could conceivably have a directionality could then be rotated by this code. Adding a bit of directionality to workshops would be a small bit of unusable code, but would help a lot while we wait and pray for workshop-rooms.
Don't catapults and ballistia use code for that?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Morague

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 10:42:14 pm »

I also searched to see if this was possible. i would love to have this option if there is a possibility.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 10:52:32 pm »

Sometimes if i build a jewellers workshop, the dwarves lock themselves in. So this should be put in.