Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Nascent Mod  (Read 8113 times)

DaveT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nascent Mod
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 07:24:29 pm »

Yeah absolutely! Its not like I actually know the word for bodice in latin (or welsh for that matter) but I'm pretty sure that I'm in as good a position as anyone else to decide. I suppose I do at least know a moderate amount about the three I've chosen.

Basically I'm just creating spreadsheets for each of the languages with the english in one column and the language in another and then I'm going to use those scripts to dump them into language files.

I'm quite suprised noone has developed a set of modding tools for df yet. Seems very prone to that sort of thing. Who knows, maybe toady could use it. (Dave cancels getting sidetracked goes back to translating)

yarm102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 08:50:26 pm »

if there is a way of specifying names based on gender, i have yet to find it.

i have hit upon a way of generating surnames, however.

thus, all names (for now) will be male names. it's the dwarven way.  :D

DaveT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 03:53:57 pm »

I have finished the latin word file. Upped it here:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1071

That wasn't as bad as I expected. I've let a lot of it be auto translated so there are going to be some amusing mistakes in there but in general hopefully its alright.

Jakkarra

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 03:54:50 pm »

you certainly have a will of iron, this is a very labour-intensive modification.

DaveT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 04:12:45 pm »

Its not as bad as all that. I am hacking scripts to parse dictionary files and translate the words automagically. Since I figure it mostly doesn't matter if something gets slightly mistranslated I then give a cursory glance over the list and check to make sure that verbs are verbs (just check endings) and nouns/adj are those as well.

I have left some amusing mistranslations in anyway. I think my favourite was when my script decided that quest should be translated conchylilegulus. Which as far as I can tell has the meaning of 'one who searches for mussels'.

Regardless it looks like Latin anyway and thats all that anyone should care about.

/edit oh and when I find a word that doesn't translate automatically I have a bit of a think and decide what I think it should go to. That's the only remotely difficult bit :shrug: I've got nothing better to do until I start work anyhow.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 04:23:03 pm by DaveT »

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 05:27:49 pm »

This is a neat idea, but I recommend that you change the symbols used for each civ so that the names are more unique to their culture/language.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 05:28:03 pm »

thus, all names (for now) will be male names. it's the dwarven way.  :D
And the human way. And the goblin way. And the elven way.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

yarm102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 06:49:29 am »

This is a neat idea, but I recommend that you change the symbols used for each civ so that the names are more unique to their culture/language.

i have created a list of names in the language file, and put them in their own symbols list: [SYM_NAME_FORENAME], and corresponding entries in the words list as [THE NOUN SING]. one need merely substitute one's own names in the language file if you want to change these.

i have changed the entities file so that dwarves and humans, whose languages i have modded into dutch (partially) and german (fully), use forenames as creature names.

If you want to have a look, newest version is here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZJYHHAS4

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 06:41:21 pm »

Can I suggest using some translator?  It cuts down on the translating, but you still have to tidy things up.... 
DISCLAIMER: Idea may or may not be more time consuming... and/or take more effort... and/or be an inaccurate translation... Use at own risk.  >.>

Otherwise, I think I'll be using this when you get a few more down... >.>  Or when I get back to DF...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Urist mcJesus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rise from your grave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 11:32:51 am »

This project must not die! (In short, bump)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 12:02:09 pm »

Gimme few days and I will do Czech language file.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Urist mcJesus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rise from your grave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 02:55:55 pm »

sounds cool.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 03:39:13 pm »

Hm... what encoding should I use to preserve diacritics? UTF-8?

BTW I hope you do not mind that texts in DF will be little... weird. We have brutal grammar, we even modify ends of words depending on situation (for example "This is a lion" is "Toto je lev" but "Kill that lion" is "Zabij toho lva").

Edit: Can I use multiple words translation? Because shoe = bota, boot = vysoka bota, etc.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 03:57:26 pm by DennyTom »

chinkeeyong

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 05:55:56 pm »

You can use multi-word strings and they'll be appropriately capitalized, but they look weird.

Also, I am dubious about how this mod can replace first names. As far as I know, they're randomly generated using a list of syllables.
Embrace imagination
Steam Machine: DF steampunk mod

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 06:09:36 pm »

You can use multi-word strings and they'll be appropriately capitalized, but they look weird.

Also, I am dubious about how this mod can replace first names. As far as I know, they're randomly generated using a list of syllables.

I can create SYM_NAME_FORENAME (every czech name that has name day in calendar) and SYM_NAME_SURNAME (some typical czech surnames... damn, just realized, that girls here have appendix -ova in surnames) words, but I have no idea how they would work.

Still unaswered is the question about encoding.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4