Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breachedkeys: The Ascension of Mafol "Urist" Momoginet-now with MORE dead elves!  (Read 1249 times)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is basically the tale of my attempt to revive a fortress after a epic tantrum spiral-corpses litter the hallways (and I mean LITTER!),  hippos stalk the river-and over 30 calves of theirs waiting to grow up-named alligators stalk the lush jungle, the sole functional dwarf is the legendary miner Urist Kuletalnis-who is injured and therefore resting admist the miasma of elf, goblin, elephant, and dwarf corpses on the one bed. His only company are three tantruming children. The bridge over entrance pit has been destroyed. The one built bridge across the river has been destroyed. Carp and milkfish wait for the unwary dwarf at the riverbed. The pet werewolves are all dead. The cats, however, are NOT. Winter, and an orcish siege, are just half a year away at most. Of the immigrant wave unfortunate enough to arrive at the beginning of the fiasco only two survive. Mafol Momoginet the Woodburner...and a single child, Ducim Ingizeral. Can they survive? (This is in media res, naturally)

If you want a dwarf, feel free to ask. Urist and Mafol are staying as-is, however. All dwarves in the next immigrant waves are up for grabs, as are the kids aside from Ducim.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 09:38:15 pm by Byakugan01 »
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breachedkeys: The Fall and Revival
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:21:49 pm »

Diary of Urist Kuletalnis, 5th Malachite, Early Summer of 203
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It had all been going so well. When I embarked with fellow miner Ingiz Buketurvad and the others, we dreamed of making our place for ourselves in the middle of this jungle. When we arrived to find the river full of the dreaded carp menace, we were not deterred, not even when it turned out that the so-called "walking carp" actually existed (if anyone's actually reading this, the only thing it has in common with the normal carp is scales. The damn thing's ten times worse!). Not even the discovery of an aquifer just two levels below the surface. With a hell of alot of pumps, our carpenter succeeded in walling of a vertical passage down into the living rock by the end of the first winter.  Oh how we celebrated! Yes, we ran out of booze once through neglectful oversight, but we just dumped all the food on the floor, took the barrels, and put the food back in as booze! Then after that it appeared to be smooth mining.

We carved out several champers from the rock, Ingiz and I. I even had the fortune to be the once to tap a lava pipe! Unfortunately, I also had the honor of breaching it. But I managed to escape the flooding of our newest tunnels, nevertheless (okay, i did swim in it a bit, but they don't call me extremely tough for nothing!). Being dwarves though, we just dug out some of the floor above and plopped down a magma forge. Saved us from the first round of bad feelings, brought about by the dreaded carp-after our weaponsmith went insane and killed someone's pet (why he got the idea he could forge an artifact of legend with his entire lower body mangledin the first place is beyond me), the blacksmith forged a truly epic platinum, lead and aluminum grate (or was it billion? the stench makes it hard to recall right now). Then our carpenter was inspired to create a single wooden cabinet, and somehow became legendary for it. Regardless, the cages he cranked out helped turn our fortune yet again. We captured the dreaded herds of elephants, and tamed them to our will. Chimpanzees a plenty, siamangs, and even some gibbons were caught. We even caught one, and eventually two, of the dreaded land carp. The damn apes kept breeding, and we kept eating. (How many variations on chimp roast are there?!?) Life was good.

Other animals were added to our fortune-five hippos were succesfully caught along with a cougar and giant jaguar. We even constructed a defense after the first orc siege-a massive pit, covered with a wooden retractable bridge. Worked great for the second orc siege, though we forgot to cap the ramp leading out of it (we just locked the door, and dropped them right back in again). Then the goblins came.

Alas for us, we underestimated the strength of their ambush, and several unarmed miltia were sent to fight them. Unfortunately, the goblins had bows. They quickly became dearmed pincushions. We sounded the alarm, and all dwarves ran for the safety of the fort. The elves who were trading at the time were too dumb to catch on, and were slaughtered except for one which found temporary refuge. It was at that time we discovered we had forgotten to LOCK the hatch leading out of bridge pit. A goblin made it in, but was slaughtered by several of our pet werewolves. The damage had been done, however. Dark mutterings began to spread about this place being accursed, what with the multiple failures which occurred in our defenses (the goblins aren't ALL stupid enough to listen when we invite them to drink the nice clear water, guys!). It didn't help that one bowgoblin was left after we thought all were dead. Several more dwarves died. That's when the tantrums started.

You see, there had been an awful stench in the air lately-blame the cats for bringing "presents" to their masters. Everyone was annoyed at that. Now, it was the straw that broke the carp's back. The tantrums began with the children-what do you expect? Some migrants arrived, bringing with them Fed, Ingiz's replacement. Then our craftsdwarf went beserk, and destroyed the bridge over the pit...leaving us with no way to get out. Despite orders to rebuild the bridge, it never happened. The beserk crafter kept screaming bloody murder at the dwarves outside, scaring them from the pit. We decided to turn him into a bloody mess, and threw four hippos into the pit. They seemed only too pleased to comply. However, I worry now that they have tasted dwarf blood for the first time, they may no longer be the docile creatures i once knew. That the other dwarves named one for the slaying does not put me at ease.

We picked ourselves up and dusted off, but now there were even more grumblings. Someone was always throwing a fit now, and the cats kept bringing more fuel to the fire. The CATS! Even now one sits across from me...I could swear it is gloating but instead, it just decided to bring me a "present". How lovely. The destruction of the bridge and the demise of the insane dwarf coincided with the fact that the migrants had no booze for the last several days, and were desperate for any drink, even water. Of course, our pools have algae in them, so they went to the river (and if you need me to tell you what happened, please go take a drink from those nice carp). Meanwhile, however, the death of the craftsdwarf caused one of our woodcutters, Monoakagos Cubor, to go berserk soon after. Yup, there was a maddwarf running around with an axe! He first killed all the five dwarves on the stone crafting floor, even our legendary carpenter. He then remembered more dwarves were above him.

Up he came, and he slaughtered many, many dwarves (and he did one deed which would normally win him praise
). He got at least 12 more of us before we met our savior; the pet elephant Likot Oddomast. With the strength of insanity, Monoakagos bruised the beat's spine, and his mighty axe injured a lung. But he was struck down by the noble beast. There were still some of us left at this point. One of the stone crafters was still alive, as were many of the children (none of the infants though-Monoakagos was a good axeman). The remaining children are keeping me alive with water and food now, so they made it. The were several more on the bed next to me, as well as the cheese maker itod. For a while, itod looked as if he would do it. He got some things organized, and made a makeshift graveyard in the next room over. He even was a good enough dwarf to force me and the stone crafter out of bed (who promptly went stark raving mad at the interruption of his recuperation) and make us help with hauling the elven, werewolf, and dwarf corpses. However, he was only a little stronger than Monoakagos-evem then, itod was only an inch from snapping.

I don't know what finally did it-the miasma, seeing his friends rot without coffins to be laid to rest in, having a pet die or what. Either way, he snapped. He killed the last convalescent, and then maybe a kid or two-so many corpses it's hard to tell. Then he came after me, screaming with a wild look in his eyes. It was the last mistake he ever made. Say what you will about us miners, lad-we're the one's who dig the mountain homes out of the living rock, the ones who support the rest of the dwarven race on our very shoulders! And let me tell ye, us miners are a damn strong lot! I can swing my pick just as well with one hand as with two-and my pick made a very profound objection to itod's desire to kill the last of the miners of Breachedkey. Considering I carved much of the place myself, i guess it didn't want to leave the work unfinished any more than I do. Regardless, when dwarven metalwork meets a skull...

After that, i could go no further. I retired to my bed, the last one left untouched by the chaos. The three children left alternate between tantruming and bringing me food and water (I think it's water...). Only I remain untouched by the madness. I alone keep my temper cool, and my sanity intact. Truly the jungle is cursed; tales of the evil of Boatmurdered come to mind. I never understood how the villainy, the madness of that place came to pass. Now I know. It lies within every dwarf. Even these children. I fear that unless help arrives soon one of the children shall rip my throat out or throw me to the land-carp Midorosal-it awaits in the next room over, hungering for me. Or, in the miraculous event that we all survive sane, we can rebuild it-better, stronger, more efficient. Great veins of copper are here; we must not let them go untapped! (That, and the pet trade with the humans is damn profitable. They do so love their monkeys and the elephants). At least i can comfort myself with the knowledge that things can't possibly get worse.

Edit: And thanks for the help-more pics tomorrow.
Edit 2: And the alligators are ten time worse than the hippos OR the carp. And I know I don't have a tileset; haven't quite bothered yet (been getting the hang of the game-which I feel pretty confident about at this point-and didn't expect this tantrum spiral. All of five minutes or so to go from over 40 dwarves to a handful...)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:32:13 pm by Byakugan01 »
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(P.S. If someone can tell me how to take a screenshot it would be greatly appreciated).

Alt+Print Screen.
Open image program.
Paste.
Save.
Upload.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Diary of Urist Kuletalnis, 23rd Felsite 205, Late Spring

Things have improved. Starting with the arrival of one Mafol woodburner turned trader (he personally rebuilt the bridge to the fortress, guess even woodburners can be good dwarves) in the fall, I got out of bed and took my first real drink of booze in what felt like ages. I can't let some upstart migrant take over my fort! I laid down the ground rules; since you're the only one here, you're responsible for the traps. He didn't argue; between a miner and some fancypants trader-woodburner, I think dwarven social code is pretty clear on who has more prestige. Besides, I'M in charge now. As the last founding dwarf of the fortress, and the last miner alive in the fort, I shall call the shots. Since the kids didn't want to help, we set to work collecting all the elephants which had been trapped during the madness of our fall. Mafol isn't too bright though-he went to retrieve some trapped hippo calf while mommy was nearby. Fortunately, he regained his sanity and aborted his suicide run. One immigrant child, Ducim ingersomethimng, decided to take the plunge instead. As apparently one immigrant fisherman had done earlier...One of the other fort children just decided to go insane. We were down to just me, two kids, and Mafol.
Autumn came, and with it the annual caravan from the moutainhomes...was it REALLY neccessary for them to send that many guards? Do they already know of the madness that occurred?!?
Apparently not...they were guarding a shitload of valuable, sweet metal bars...more than a few were precious, sweet steel! I decided that the elf clothes and goods in the depot from the caravan slaughtered in the spring would be good enough for them; we promptly traded most of these goods for the metals. We would have to ignore the booze if we wanted to get the metal, and we can always make our own booze anyway. Well, I do suppose that would be somewhat awkward, seeing as how I decided that the butchery, tannery, and farms would be where we placed our fallen's bones.

There were other issues we had to deal with. Ya know cats? Those things that some dwarves just love, and insidiously breed until the fortress is overun with them? We don't have that problem so much-cats seem to die pretty fast once they start playing outside, though we do keep one or two around for the rats (and see how they repaid us during the downfall?!?). Truth be told, we don't actually have to farm-we must simultanesouly in fear of a trifecta monksplosion-the chimplosion, the siamangsplosion, and the gibsplosion. Even during our darkest hour, the things were mating-and now they keep giving birth. We started with just three females or so of the gibbons; you'd think we had 20, what with the way they have triplets all the time. On the bright side, the population of Breachedkey never has had to go without meat since we tamed the things...

The rest of autmun past more or less uneventfully. Then, to my great shock, I awoke to find more dwarves in the fortress!! MIGRANTS! But not ONE of them a miner! One was even a soapmaker! We had one weaponsmith, however-I told him to go to the smelter. "But I make WEAPONS, not the bars i make em' from!" I told him he did NOW, or he would have an appointment with my pick. I then set the arrivals to do something useful and had each make a piece of armor or a weapon. Might as well have something inferior to give the elves if they brought anything useful in the spring-no reason to kill them if they DO bring something useful.  On a side note, we got a fisherdwarf. He promptly got killed by something in the river. Were the bleached dwarf bones lying in the shallows not enough of a hint?!? I don't even want to know how many of us were lost to the dangers of the river. In between their turns at the forge, the immigrants hauled all the metal bars from the depot to the one smoothed area of the meeting hall. Soon, I shall start digging out a proper storage area for the metal. As well as the bedrooms and a dining hall, though I have not yet decided where the later will be...my vision for this room involves glass walls. It will need to be where my kin can appreciate the view, yet still be underground. Work shall have to be done on this.

Winter came, and I ordered a guard hippo be tethered right next to our front door. And not a moment too soon.
ELVES! Or rather two of them, leading squads of goblins against us. I checked. The hatch to the pit was locked, the hippos were in place, the dwarves were inside...all was in order. I watched and waited. The only entrance to the fort was over the retractable bridge...sooneer or later, if they wanted to get us, they would have to come. Now elves ain't all that smart, so one made it onto the bridge with their gobbo companions. Then I gave the timeless order..."Pull the lever".

But it didn't work! The hippos in the pit could not feed today! (And they haven't had any dwarf to eat either, so they sure as hell must be hungry!) The elf, showing some idea of common sense now that he faced an unlocked door, ordered the goblins in first. One rushed through the door...straight into the jaws of the guard hippo. More goblins charged in, then the elf followed, all five trying to rush the hippo. When the miasma cleared, the battle was over.
I immediately ordered another hippo be tethered next to the newly named (in the goblin tongue, no less!) hippo. The sight of a decapitated, legless elf did much to raise the spirit of the fort (and that was just the most identifiable body). More, and in a even less identifiable state, would raise it even further. Unfortunately, the other gob-elf must have heard the screams, and fled the vincinity as fast as its legs could carry it. Only one elf would die that day. Plans to forge copper for the elves picked up-if the next elf had copper weapons on it with the breachedkey seal on it, the mountainhome would have no choice but to declare war on the elves. The only problem will be making sure we have an intact elf corpse to present...

More elephants were trapped and tamed. We have so many; I was able to personally butcher more of the adults today. And don't get me started on the damn apes...my work is never done, it seems. On the bright side, we now have tons of chimp, monkey, and elephant leather. I drafted Mafol to do the tanning, as well as one of the peasants. I must think of SOMETHING to dow ith these great beasts; there is not much that can stop a berserk dwarf, but one that had been but a pet did it. The'yre no hippos, though. And we have more monkeys than anything else; perhaps some of the surplus can be made useful as war apes. I probably should put it in as an order to the peasants, but they are busy with the forge and hauling cages to and from the traps. The pet trade with humans alone is quite profitable, after all. The rest of winter passed uneventfully, other than that i ordered the bridge to be destroyed and rebuilt-Mafol screwed up somehow, and could not have the thing linked with the lever. That's why the elf did not fall into the pit.

It was fixed-just in time for the spring elf caravan to arrive. Pity we do not have a drowing chamber yet, though one could be easily "arranged" using the aquifer that lies just under the soil here. I will delay the order for its construction if they actually have anything useful; once we were able to buy a monkey from them which became part of our breeding stock. Hopefully, they knew enough to repeat the trend.
Whoa-the elves must be *really* eager to smooth things over and make us overlook their mixing with goblins. They brought not only a cougar, but also a giant lion and a giant tiger! We promptly traded them dwarven giant cave spider silk clothes for these goods. Why they value them so much is beyond me. They can't even wear them. Again, no one ever knew elves for their intelligence. Their loss our gain...however, all three cougars we had turned out to be females, so the great cat breeding program cannot start just yet. On a side note, we also have caught a leopard and several gorillas.
The rest of the spring passed uneventfully. Some immigrants arrived, and some peasant went and got possessed as soon as he saw the front gate. He now sits in the craftsdwarf workshop, muttering things under his breath. Let him rot-i don't want another "artifact" like a palm tree bracelet of such poor craftsdwarfship it barely rates 4000 dwarfbucks. Well, now I must go to sleep; hopefully, tomorrow I shall get back to mining out the future of my home.
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Might as well rename this "The Urist Chronicles", but don't want to look like a copycat. As for why Urist was the sole survivor; at least once she managed to kill a berserk dwarf in one blow. Updates will occur when interesting events occur, or once per game year. Again, feel free to request a dwarf-all the miners aside from Urist are available, as are all immigrants.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 04:28:03 pm by Byakugan01 »

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breachedkeys: The Ascension of Mafol "Urist" Momoginet
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:36:46 pm »

Okay, three updates and no comments? Is breachedkeys really that boring? Or is it my writing?
=====================================================================
Diary of Urist, 9th Malachite Midsummer of 205

In my dream last night I had a vision, a gift from the gods as it were. I saw Breachedkeys, perfectly restored and thriving. Masterwork statues lined the halls, twin falls of magma and water sat at the end of the corridors to be viewed through halls of diamond. The head miner ruled from a grand throne room, directing further expansion and overseeing the welfare of the fortress with their great benevolence. Great workshops produced a vertiable flood of goods. All this would be...but someone had to do it. I immediately set the newly created miner corps to dig out the workshops for wood based crafts, masonry, forges, smelters, and stockpiles for the raw materials required for each. In addition, I set several sets of residence halls to be completed-while the waterfalls will have to wait until more essential works are completed, the area where they will be can be built-one at the end of each hall.

12th Limestone, Early Autumn 205
A clothier has been possessed. He better at least make something good-this is the second possesion in the same year. Although given the shop he claimed is in a room filleed with miasma, i think he's not so much "possessed" as "high of the fumes" like one of those damn tree hugging elves. At least I hope it's something worth the time.

17th Limestone
A single rope-weed SOCK. A single SOCK-but what a sock! Even if it's only worth about 1300 dwarfbucks, it shows the battle of the famous giant tiger known as Mirrordrilled and a great orcish warrior. Now if only we can get stuff like this on weapons and trade it, and we'll be famous throughout the lands. Would almost make up for the fact we are RIGHT NEXT DOOR to an elf retreat.

18th Limestone-Elves arrived leading gobbos. Unfortunately for them, the next heavily guarded dwarf caravan was in the depot (brought us lots of nice coal, steel, iron, and flux). The result was elf and goblin plastered over the area. We should look and see if there is a way to use them as paint-they seem quite well suited to it.

28th Sandstone-more migrants arrived. Breachedkey is doing quite well. (Shortly after this the fisherdwarf died from a carp attack. Well, can't say that was unexpected).

16th Moonstone-work on the throne room is almost complete. The mining of it out, anyway.

20th Moonstone-Our cook secluded himself inside our magma forge, and asked for what i think was clear glass. Normally I'd tell him to go jump in a well, but since it's our only forge at the moment (work on the expansions still has to be completed) it's faster to set up an emergency glass making operation (Also, he wanted steel bars for it, so it must be good). I personally made the potash required when the lyemaker got lazy and refused to do it himself. The leader must set the example, after all. As a result of our efforts, we were able to obtain the glass, and the cook promptly grabbed it and set to work. Hopefully he made something useful.

16th Obsidian-he completes wis work, a relatively bland steel crossbow worth 76000 dwarfbucks. Hate to say it, but I miss the sock. He could at least have engraved a carp on it.

15th Granite, Spring of 206-Elves have arrived to trade. My scouts inform me that they have been smart and brought us more dangerous animals, so I'll let them live-give em' some incentive to keep doing so. Of course, we need to make a construction around the trade depot soon to sanitize it if they ever show up with something like 50 bins of rope reed thread.

Granite-the goblins have arrived, and are slaughtering all the elves. Should be over soon. We have nothing to worry-the hippos will keep us safe, and the goblins will keep them fed. Now we don't even have to pay for the goods.

THE GOBLINS ARE INSIDE! And somehow are slaughtering many of our dwarves. Already, a weapopsmith and armorer have died, as have a bunch of other less notable dwarves. I have drafted myself and nearly all of the civilians to deal with a threat. It appears that BOTH guard hippos were slain! I wonder how, but it's unimportant. Off to fight the menace.

It's over. Maybe nine or so dwarves lay dead out of 40 something (we so need a book keeper for these things). The grumblings have started again. I feel a pain, but what with my still broken arm it could be anything. Probably nothing to worry about. Last counts, we had a breeding pair of giant jaguars after collecting the goods from the elf caravan, as well as a female land carp. Now we can breed our own! We just need to write for a dungeon keeper. Probably should date these entries properly soon, but we have to set up room behind our gorilla breeding room to lay down the dead. Note to self: order the mining out of catacombs. As a side note, the gobbos were lead by and elf guard. So much for thinking the two were in league, seeing as how he slaughtered the elf caravan with no survivors. We had to overwhelm with sheer numbers. To prevent a future occurence, i have decided more drastic measures will be taken. We have begun the process of reading all our nonbreeding elephants for war training. When the goblins next come, the slaughter shall know no match. We also have two gorillas not of breeding stock who will receive war training. As soon as is possible, we will ready our tame landcarp for war training.

28th Granite-The wound was more serious than I thought. I am now dieing-the bleeding won't stop. To whoever reads this, I implore you-do not let the vision go unfulfilled! (the next words are indecipherable, and end in a blob of pooled ink)

7th Hematite, Early Summer of 206: This is Mafol Momoginet-or, as I am now called, "Urist" Momoginet. I have read Urist's vision. It shall not go unfulfilled-I only worry may not be up to the task. I fear that another spiral of madness has started. No less than two dwarves have gone berserk and attacked their fellows. One was promptly dispatched by a werewolf of ours, while the other was dispatched by us. Many more, too many for me to count, have gone insane or begun dark and brooding. We got migrants, fortunately, who were somewhat confused by the stench in what they must have thought was a thriving fortress. I have decided they don't need to see the butchery, farms, or gorilla breeding area. I can only pray that the madness Urist wrote of and left the fortress in the state it was when i first walked through its wooden doors does not recur. Speaking of which, progress on the war elephants is well underway, though it also appears we have some werewolves i didn't know about. All the better i suppose. We really do need a book keeper for these things. On a brighter note, all excavation of the craftshop areas that urist planned is complete, as are the residence halls. We only need to smooth them and furnish them-it will be a start.

On a brighter note, I have taken up Urist's pick and joined the miners. We have carved down below the craft area and begun searching for copper to mine. We have found a fair amount of aluminum, but copper was proving elusive until we hit a vein the other day. Copper is what we need-it will keep the peasantry busy with something to do, and allow us to hopefully get more legendary weapons from them-rumor has it if a dwarf has picked up the hammer and forge once, he may be inspired by the majesty of the forge later on when his once in a lifetime vision seizes him. Many of the weapons made by such moods now are on display in the moutainhome as artifacts of legend from the age of myths; may the same be true of Breachedkeys in the future. 

25th Hematite-Goblins attacked again...but this time the human caravan was as heavily guarded as the dwarven one. The elf leading them soon found that elves aren't the only good shots with a bow, and was promptly made into a pincushion-as were the rest of the goblins. For once, we did not trade-we still need to get the fortress in order. As if to underline this, a child went berserk and made for the caravn-to be filled with even more arrows than the goblins. Hopefully, we will be able to take a breather once the fall caravan arrives. I am also considering training a military, if only to backup our war elephants-training elephants goes slow when the one training them goes insane half the time.

I brushed off the trade liasion and told him we didn't need anything (not true, but seriously, I was trying to mine there-go talk to the legendary weaponsmith, for cryin' out loud). The humans left shortly afterward. I set the office suites and throne room to be smoothed. Hopefully, we can pave them later with gold. The fall seems to have been averted by the installation of the grate and a truly beautiful cage made of rose quartz-I didn't even know you could make a single rose quartz crystal into a cage! That was the product of the mood of our gem cutter, natch. We also got more immigrants, so I have to think of a how to make them useful...maybe by setting them to cleaning out the workshop stockpiles of stone so they can actually be used.

As a side note, we now have guard war elephants. Let's see the goblin tree huggers  try and slay THEM.
==========================================================================
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 09:42:31 pm by Byakugan01 »