Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fallout 3, gameplay discussion  (Read 5805 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fallout 3, gameplay discussion
« on: May 19, 2009, 06:28:21 am »

I recently borrowed Fo3 off of a friend. I want to talk about cannibalizing three dog's corpse. I want to talk about the Fat Man and it's use in killing anyone I come across, no matter who they are. I want to talk about this Lincoln's gun that I hear so much about. Thus, this thread was born...

Well go on.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:58:43 am by Jackrabbit »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 3, gameplay discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 06:38:53 am »

Lincoln's Repeater is the best gun in the game.  For one, it pretty aims true to where you point it outside of VATS, so the only "real" sniper rifle.  Also, it's one of few pieces of equipment that starts off at full durability.  Obviously that goes down, but a lot of supermutants will bid farewell to their heads by the time you notice a real drop in effectiveness.

What I want to know is where to find Lincoln's hat.  I didn't know it existed.  I need to wear it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 06:42:17 am »

Hey, there's another thread with the same name next to it :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 06:44:01 am »

Hey, there's another thread with the same name next to it :D.

No, that's the Fallout 3 stupidity discussion thread.  It's totally different.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 06:55:23 am »

True. It's all explained within the last few pages of that thread.

Lincoln's Repeater is the best gun in the game.  For one, it pretty aims true to where you point it outside of VATS, so the only "real" sniper rifle.  Also, it's one of few pieces of equipment that starts off at full durability.  Obviously that goes down, but a lot of supermutants will bid farewell to their heads by the time you notice a real drop in effectiveness.

What I want to know is where to find Lincoln's hat.  I didn't know it existed.  I need to wear it.

I saw that. I heard tell of a beard too, but that's probably a lie. Where would you find this gun (although I no longer have Fo3)? Spoilered, of course.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 07:55:36 am »

I've recently packed on a fair number of mods for my Fo3 copy. As usual for a Bethseda game, modders came through with flying colours. I forget exactly which one of the 4 big name mods I put on but my god, the difficulty curve turned into a cliff. No more rambo attacks even with my very shooty-adept character. Even sleeping and eating have become relevant, though only go so far as to affect some stats (i.e. you won't die from never eating/drinking), Ammo is a real problem, though the reasons for that wouldn't sit well with some people (there are now 10,000 ghouls and bandits around every corner, throwing off the bandit/hostile things vs townspeople ratio even more)

It's quite good.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:59:41 am by Agdune »
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 08:10:09 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 08:48:23 am »

The Linceon Repeater's Main Advantages
1) Perfect Aim outside Vats
2) High-ammo count (using Vats to reload is always a good idea)
3) Something involving the Head
4) Repairs with Hunting Rifles which are as common as dirt in the game.

I can never remember the head advantage... it could be that it deals TONS of stealth attack damage to the head or if it automatically disables the head.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 09:00:41 am »

The thing with the head is fairly straight forward really.

It completely blows it off with the first shot. So its likely a always critical wounder. Not that it matters, because you only need the one bullet.

Yes I love Lincolns Repeater, I use it outside of V.A.T.S, but usually you can bet I'm shooting up Raiders with the Chinese Assault Rifle in V.A.T.S, or blowing up people with the MIRV.

I want the PC version of this game, so I can not only have the Mods, but can also mess around with the cheats.

I NEED ME AN ENDLESS SUPPLY OF MININUKES.

Also, last I checked, I couldn't repair the Repeater with just a regular Hunting Rifle, I would have needed to use Ol' Painless, and I'm so not scrapping a named gun just for the hell of it.

Usually I'll dole out some cash to have Crazy Wolfgang repair it after I fully invested in his caravan.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:02:43 am by WorkerDrone »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 09:07:32 am »

The most hillarious part about the Linceon Repeater is the fact that a quest makes you give it away... and you get basically nothing in return.

So yes... you trade the best weapon in the game for 500 credits which you probably earned trying to get it.

The problem with abusing the Repeater is that its ammo is the rarest bullet in the game (Bullet not Cell or Nuke...) so you can usually only get like 8 every shop trip.

As for Cash just do what I do... Stockpile Ammo and Weightless items. I have enough Minigun ammo alone to afford just about anything.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 09:11:23 am »

I do something else entirely.

I hunt the Enclave and skin their corpses and make their hides into coats for the wealthy sell their Power Armour. I have like, fifty moderately repaired suits stuffed into my houses locker. I can usually net 2000 Credits on just one specific hunting trip, usually because the stupid Enclave always come to me via Vertibirds.

I have plenty of credits, plenty of ammo, I only wish I had more MININUKES.

Because blowing shit up is fuuuuuuuun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 09:40:10 am »

Ehhhh... Power Armor is so heavy I can't honestly think it has a good weight to return ratio.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 09:48:53 am »

I don't wear regular or Mk II power Armour silly.

T51b is SO much lighter. And offers just as much if not more protection. Plus it has that sweet bonus against RADs. So I don't get the Strength bonus. Big deal, I already have 9 Strength at this point.

Plus the Helmet has the nifty Charisma bonus, and I that isn't one of my best stats.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 09:57:17 am »

You don't go for strength you go for lifting bonuses! :D

but that isn't what I meant... I meant isn't it not worth hualing Power Armor around since it is so heavy for its price? 10 weapons are lighter and generally worth more then power armor.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 10:20:32 am »

2 new DLC packs announced now, in addition to the first three making it over to PS3.
Pages: [1] 2 3