Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: ☺░▒▒▓D Or holy crap there's a goblin on my keyboard! g Or in other words ASCII  (Read 22885 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And then I found DF, and realized that as far as one man devteams go, Biskup is pretty damn mediocre.

Lol, WTH, man? Toady One is a frigging deity. It takes a LOT of math skills to pull off an advanced game, and I bet no game designer in the world, not even the professional ones, have the math skills of the great Toady One.

Comparing Biskup to Toady One is like comparing well, like, some MIT scientist to Einstein.

And yes, all the games back then were arbitrary and poorly thought out. Game design was practically a joke till around 2004, most games back then.. Duke Nukem, Fallout, Wizardry, AD&D, Command & Conquer, etc, etc had no consistency, and games today were built upon their mistakes.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

Moving back on topic, I agree. Toady's use of ASCII to display things is quite impressive. Just look at all the furniture, like chests and coffers. They actually sort of look like the real thing.

The thing that impresses me most is how gory this is for an ASCII game. Toady really didn't shy away from any gruesome details.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

The thing that impresses me most is how gory this is for an ASCII game. Toady really didn't shy away from any gruesome details.
I second that. A bunch of tiles with red background which appear after you slash an enemy REALLY make you fill the blood spraying from the wound. Not to mention rivers of blood...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia

ADOM sucks.

I just needed to say that.
you suck for saying ADOM sucks...  :P
It has crap controls,
NO!  I find ADOM's controls great.
it's closed source
Wich is totally up to the author.
Crawl
I haven't played crawl much but it's (as far as I've seen) FIght, fight, fight... I appreciate storylines...
And you know what else? ADOM is gay.
And your point is?
The way ADOM handles weapons is excellent IMO.
When was the last time Biskup updated ADOM? 2002, right?
This shouldn't affect the game on itself... I still love the first buggy LCS versions...  Your argument is sinking with you inaluct...
And then I found DF, and realized that as far as one man devteams go, Biskup is pretty damn mediocre.
make a roguelike and we'll talk later... (I tell you this cause I recently started a project -currently on hold- and it's a hard task)
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This thread is now about ADOM. Ever since you derailing bastards got it moved to Other Games :P

I'm pretty sure Toady picked up some ASCII tips from the pros. I like how the grass rustles in the wind, how the blood splatters all over the walls, how it flows down the rivers, the little insects and vermins appearing near the barrels. It's an art.

The walls I think were designed for tilesets. Most roguelikes slap a # for walls, because it's too much effort to make a wall-like structure. DF will probably use tilesets in the future, so it's perfect sense to actually make them look like walls
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile

Let's stop this discussion on "my Roguelike is better than yours" what matters is that they have the roguelike death rules.

Ignore which of the game is more polished and realize that they are both playable.

Crawl has become more or less a collaborative effort, Thomas was hesitant and now probably too late to have released the source code for ADOM to have it become a better game.

I would provide a link to ADOM's faq but unfortunatly web squatters have taken control of it.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile

ADOM sucks.

It doesn't, but there are much better roguelikes. Just 2 examples: Incursion, T.O.M.E  ;)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ADOM is like D&D or Final Fantasy. It did a lot of things people didn't do before that, but these days, it's old and archaic. Heheh, Ancient Domains of Mystery - archaic. get it?

Yeah, it's overrated, but certainly a classic.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've tried so many times, but to date, there is but one ASCII Roguelike that is "playable" to me---why I dunno but I reckon it to be the sense of style it has.  Or the lively, animated ASCII...

That being, and one would think there'd be a Crawl/Elona/Incursion sized megathread for it: Triangle Wizard

http://trianglewizard.webs.com/index.htm

Check back in the updates section and read them in chronological order from the start to the other day...talk about an amazing rate of progress.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

ADOM sucks.

It doesn't, but there are much better roguelikes. Just 2 examples: Incursion, T.O.M.E  ;)

This.

ADOM is enjoyable... but I don't bother play it anymore.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That being, and one would think there'd be a Crawl/Elona/Incursion sized megathread for it: Triangle Wizard

Goddamn! Is that a vector-based roguelike? Downloading.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile

You should expand your post into a full-length article, then try to get featured in some semi-major gaming website as a spot for DF. But don't trust me, I use the Mayday set.

Bah, who would listin to me? Especially this early into the topic course at this point it wouldn't hurt to atleast dream of getting there.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Goddamn! Is that a vector-based roguelike? Downloading.

Indeed it is!  Nifty trailer is nifty too.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile

I dream letters.
I dream alphabets, and have nightmares about unicode reletive offsets.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

I dream letters.
I dream alphabets, and have nightmares about unicode reletive offsets.

You too?  Von Neumann algebra always freaked me out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7