Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: ☺░▒▒▓D Or holy crap there's a goblin on my keyboard! g Or in other words ASCII  (Read 23354 times)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile

Goddamn! Is that a vector-based roguelike? Downloading.

This "Triangle Wizard" looks quite, quite interesting.  And I think I'll give it a whirl when I abandon my current fortress.

But is it a roguelike?  Not in my opinion.

Why?  It's realtime.  To me, the "unlimited time to think" is a fundamental part of the genre.

(Also, ADOM sucks, and Crawl rules.)

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Goddamn! Is that a vector-based roguelike? Downloading.

This "Triangle Wizard" looks quite, quite interesting.  And I think I'll give it a whirl when I abandon my current fortress.

But is it a roguelike?  Not in my opinion.

Why?  It's realtime.  To me, the "unlimited time to think" is a fundamental part of the genre.

(Also, ADOM sucks, and Crawl rules.)

Well, there IS something of a trick there.  Any action happening off screen is frozen in time, so like the typical Roguelike adage of "Turn=Stuff happens someplace" with this "Sight=Stuff happens someplace".  So, run into an unexpected enemy?  Quickly get them off screen and take time to think...nothing can come after you from offscreen.

Meh, Baroque, this, and Dicin' Knight are plenty Roguelike for me.  To each his or her own though.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia

Whoever says ADOM sucks has never, ever tried to program...

ADOM is AWESOME!!! you might like crawl more but you can't just say ADOM sucks.  >:(

“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

I'll vote for whoever says that sucks.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile

I personaly never cared for crawl, as it seemed to be made with no love. ADOM may not be perfect, but thats what I like about it.

and at least its not angband, that game was god-awful.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile

Ah jeez, damn humans always so opinionative. Oh well, we wouldn't be very far in our potential if that weren't so but jeeeeeeezuz give it a break, I first intended this topic to be in defense of ASCII not about ADOM.

It was first intended to be on how greatly detailed an ASCII game is!(guess I didn't make that clear)
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

ASCII ARE DEATIAL.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree.

Anyway, I like the fact that Crawl was made with no love. It reminds me of my childhood. *sob*

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile

Im surprised no ones mentioned NetHack yet. Thats the only one ive actually played for any length of time, and its still hilarious.

"You kick the door! It crashes open!"
"You kick the wall! Ouch! ....Your leg feels better now."
"Really eat Fuzzy McKitten, pet? Y/N"

Hmm, i need DF graphics in NetHack...that would make it so much more playable.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly, Nethack with Crawl's UI would be a dream come true.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree.

Well, at least we have some common ground here. Angband variants always make me throw up a little into my mouth when I try them.

Ah jeez, damn humans always so opinionative. Oh well, we wouldn't be very far in our potential if that weren't so but jeeeeeeezuz give it a break, I first intended this topic to be in defense of ASCII not about ADOM.

But...did it need defending in the first place? DF players tend to have an uncommon fondness for ASCII, and acknowledge that Toady did an absolute top-notch job with it...There was no embryonic argument in your first post, so we got sidetracked when one presented itself. It happens.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile

But...did it need defending in the first place? DF players tend to have an uncommon fondness for ASCII, and acknowledge that Toady did an absolute top-notch job with it...There was no embryonic argument in your first post, so we got sidetracked when one presented itself. It happens.
[/quote]

Grumble grumble

True, so let's move along now! Since everybody now feels like preaching about rouge likes, than let's talk about how immersed we get with their graphics! I already went, so the floor is open for anybody.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev

roguelikes suck.

its really just your imagination that makes it good. otherwise its just a bunch of math and ascii.
I got nothing

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia

But not having to waste time rendering and drawing gives you more time to design and code the complex stuff that roguelikes have and other games dont.  Almost everything goes to gameplay.  Instead of 3d animation.

That, I think, is what makes this games so great.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7