Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: ☺░▒▒▓D Or holy crap there's a goblin on my keyboard! g Or in other words ASCII  (Read 23553 times)

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense

roguelikes suck.

its really just your imagination that makes it good. otherwise its just a bunch of math and ascii.

What are you talking about?

Math and ASCII are the greatest things in the world.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile

Heh, that is what is so awesome about these games; they leave it up to your own imagination. Only giving it a good skeleton to work from, a structure to follow (or not, if you like modding). It's like a book that can warp and change to your will (and warp your will too, often entertaining)!
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile

Yeah, I just wish rougelikes were more flexible in moster design. My imagination is taking a pounding from the constant thought of kobolds.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia

there are sci-fi roguelikes... check the roguelike development megathread.... I think it directs to you to the roguelike basin and other cool places... (also, 7-day-RLs are quite cool too)
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile

there are sci-fi roguelikes... check the roguelike development megathread.... I think it directs to you to the roguelike basin and other cool places... (also, 7-day-RLs are quite cool too)
Ive played them, Ive played all of them. Or at the least I know all they have to offer.

Im just concerned, why cant anyone make a damn modern day rougelike for once? Or a rougelike without a goal? Just a life simulator or something? Its the one thorn in the perfect roguelike rose.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This shouldn't affect the game on itself... I still love the first buggy LCS versions...  Your argument is sinking with you inaluct...
You have a pre 3.09 version of LCS!?!?! If so, we must see it.

Ive played them, Ive played all of them. Or at the least I know all they have to offer.

Im just concerned, why cant anyone make a damn modern day rougelike for once? Or a rougelike without a goal? Just a life simulator or something? Its the one thorn in the perfect roguelike rose.
Well, if you consider mere survival a reasonable goal, theres UnrealWorld. For a semi life simulator, there's Elona. You can just go around being a farmer or a prostitute or a bard, and the main story is pretty unintrusive.

I've just did some quick searching, and the only non fantasy ones I found were Gearhead and DoomRL. At least those seemed the most polished.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

I remember trying to be a bard in Elona.  I was stoned to death after playing in a nearby tavern.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia

welcome to my project... A magic school simulator.... But I have it currently on hold as I'm pretty busy...
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile

and at least its not angband, that game was god-awful.
I agree.

Anyway, I like the fact that Crawl was made with no love. It reminds me of my childhood. *sob*

I don't know....Angband wasn't that bad at all...imo at least.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile

Angband was/is terribly repetitious.  There is one core gameplay loop; you essentially can't do anything else.  Even the variants were/are that way, though most of them added more variety.  E.g. ToME added the world map and quests.

I've never played ToME, but I still occasionally play a very old and slightly customized  version of Zangband, ancestor of ToME.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, Angband has a comparatively minor bug that causes walls and floors not to display on Vista machines. It's been known for a long time, and (as far as I know) whoever's developing Angband still hasn't just put a fix into the main distribution.

That should illustrate how incredibly dead development is. It's like, Biskup dead.

Now that I think about it, the same goes for Nethack. It's been 3.4.3 for as long as I can remember.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile

This shouldn't affect the game on itself... I still love the first buggy LCS versions...  Your argument is sinking with you inaluct...
You have a pre 3.09 version of LCS!?!?! If so, we must see it.

Well, if you consider mere survival a reasonable goal, theres UnrealWorld. For a semi life simulator, there's Elona. You can just go around being a farmer or a prostitute or a bard, and the main story is pretty unintrusive.

I've just did some quick searching, and the only non fantasy ones I found were Gearhead and DoomRL. At least those seemed the most polished.
As though I havent played all those well known rougelikes.(as a matter of fact, trying to beat final boss on gearhead unarmed)

whoever's developing Angband still hasn't just put a fix into the main distribution.
Thats becuase no one is still developing Angband.

That should illustrate how incredibly dead development is. It's like, Biskup dead.

Biskup is still alive, hes just working on the sequal.(at snail pace sure, but working none the less)

Now that I think about it, the same goes for Nethack. It's been 3.4.3 for as long as I can remember.
Ive heard the developers of nethack say their going to develop the next version some day, although even Im starting to have my doubts.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile

And Slash'EM is dead.  The mailing lists get like ten posts a year combined.  And no-one is maintaining it, much less developing it.  Sad, as I like it more than Nethack.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile

Angband was/is terribly repetitious.  There is one core gameplay loop; you essentially can't do anything else.  Even the variants were/are that way, though most of them added more variety.  E.g. ToME added the world map and quests.

I've never played ToME, but I still occasionally play a very old and slightly customized  version of Zangband, ancestor of ToME.

Okay that is true...but you cannot really compare it to ToME, since it's one of the best roguelikes, while Angband is in the "ok" category.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

but you cannot really compare it to ToME, since it's one of the best roguelikes
Your joke isn't funny.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7